300 year equation

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by science man, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Hey guys I heard there's an equation that take's us humans 300 years to do. Anyone know it?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Judging by news stories I read, I'd say that equation is:

2+2=n

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. temur man of no words Registered Senior Member

I am pretty sure this is x+1=0

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. geez all you guys had to do was tell me that its bs

8. CheskiChips Banned Banned

He means the solution to a problem that's existed 300 years, not 300 years to do it. Oh, and it's not true, he "rediscovered" an old equation...then the media hyped it. There's still no equation where you can plug in a value and arrive at a bernoulli number.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  9. BobG Registered Senior Member

Well if you tried to solve the exact equations for many physical systems then yes it would take well over 300 years for any individual or computer to solve. I mean if you wanted to solve the exact quantum mechanical properties of 1g of matter that would mean solving a differential equation (Schrodinger equation) with around 10^23 particles. And each of these particles has a pairwise interaction with every other particle.

Even if you could get a solution it would take an equally long time to interpret it. Considering that at the moment as far as I know for the best computational methods, the computing time is proportional to the number of particles and it has currently been done for a few hundred atoms thenn you can see 10^23 particles would take a long time.

10. deicider got omnicidead Registered Senior Member

its:
    OP^NL=BS

11. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

Perhaps the OP was referring to Fermat's last theorem, which was posed in 1637 but wasn't proven until 1995.

12. CheskiChips Banned Banned

I think it was referring to an equation that would provide Bernoulli numbers by plugging the step value into a function.

13. Guest254 Valued Senior Member

This is utter rubbish. There are lots of closed form expressions for the Bernoulli numbers.

14. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Any example?

15. Guest254 Valued Senior Member

The joys of google:

\( B_m=\sum_{k=1}^{m+1}\sum_{v=1}^{k+1}(-1)^{v+1}\binom{k-1}{v-1}\frac{v^m}k \)

This is one of many. The most obvious formula comes from a "multiply-differentiate-limit" approach to the generating function.

16. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Oh, ok. It's not that I didn't believe you... it's just nice to provide proof when you make a claim. I, too, have found a few closed form expressions when searching Google.

17. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

After over 300 years, the issue of whether 0.999... = 1 remains unresolved

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. CheskiChips Banned Banned

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  19. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

The article says it has previously been solved. I think it just means its been a known but non-trivial result for 300 years, hence 'a challenge'. It's oddly worded though.

Nothing is wrong with a Taylor series approach. Almost any n'th number closed formula is going to involve summations, else you'd just have a polynomial and most n'th number formulas are for infinite sequences and often explicitly stated polynomials don't cut it.

20. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

"No new mathematical solution by Swedish Teen"
    Swedish and international media have recently reported that a 16-year old Swede has presented the solution to the Bernoulli numbers. This is not correct. The solution was previously known to the mathematical community.
    http://www.uu.se/news/news_item.php?typ=artikel&id=693

21. Guest254 Valued Senior Member

From the (short) article:
    The problem is not a difficult one - certainly accessible to keen and talented 16yr olds.
    What?

22. CheskiChips Banned Banned

I don't care about the damn math problem, I don't care about the story. I saw someone ask a question and numerous people mock him because they didn't understand the question, I provided a link with very light speculation on a topic I don't know much about and haven't looked into - you can take your disgruntled responses somewhere else.

23. Guest254 Valued Senior Member

Now, now. If corrections bother you this much, perhaps it's an idea to read articles you cite.