21st century Slavery (anyone read SciAm??)

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Zero, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

communism is an utopic idea that without question leads to oppression , unification and mysery of the nation. And don't tell me you know better, western experts. I was forced to live for some years in a society like this. And there was prostitution and illegal trading and ......... a lot more. But it was a lot better hidden then.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Zero Banned Banned

hm. I wonder if being well hidden is more desirable to being honest to the public. I'm not so sure. Personally, it would not be cool to be left in the dark. But for the purposes of the advantages gained by the country, though. Any thoughts on that side of it?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I say it to be government controlled. Then those women would have the same rights as other workers. Now they're just slaves in the flesh market.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Zero Banned Banned

So? Then everyone is in the same place, then. Women would sell flesh, and guys would sell muscles. So much to look forward to in the future

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Brett Bellmore Registered Senior Member

Any thoughts? Sure: It's possible to expand the definition of a word such as "slavery" so far as to render it meaningless. There are real, honest, Simon LeGree cracking the whip, type slaves out there. Mostly in places like Sudan, but a few here, as well. There's no reason to make the definition so fuzzy that you can accuse anyone who holds a job YOU would never consider taking of being a slave, and attributing their conviction that they do the job voluntarilly to a form of false consciousness.

There are prostitutes who are slaves, there are prostitutes who are not. NOT a thought some people are comfortable with, but no less true.

This the article in question?

The Social Psychology of Modern Slavery

9. kmguru Staff Member

Another article in sciam talks about:

Disposable People: New Slavery in the Global Economy

Disposable People: It has a nice ring to it. When Worldcom laysoff 17,000 people, I wonder if those are disposable people or the 750,000 or so laid off since 9/11 in US....