Translation?

OK
Here's another one
85e24a9d09b318583f28e9cc908dd7c5cb8a4475.jpg

6 guys with erections
several groupings of 18 lines
3 animals with peculiar feet

Translation?
Where did you find the image? Where is it from? What did the experts have to say about it?

old artwork(?)

I don't really know how old it is. Preliterate cultures have made rock "art" like that up until comparatively modern times. I have no trouble accepting that paleolithic people were doing it too, tens of thousands of years ago.

(I put "art" in quotes because imagery like this probably played a different role in these people's lives than art plays in ours today.)

or writing down a story?

Yes, that's what I'd guess that it is. It looks awfully elaborate.

My guess is that it illustrates a traditional myth recited by this culture's shamans or people like that. Perhaps it had a ritual purpose of some sort and people did some unknown something for unknown reasons in the space before this rock. But I'm just speculating.

OK
let us assume---story
can we learn to read it?

Probably not. It's probably illustrating scenes from a story, but recreating the story around it would be an exercise in our own imagination.

Last edited:
Where did you find the image? Where is it from? What did the experts have to say about it?
Serrania La Lindosa

recent studies have focused on several archaeological sites in the Serranía La Lindosa, which is located in the Northwestern Colombian Amazon, and have human occupations dating as early as 13,000 years ago

ok
caveat: what was dated from pits at the base of the artwork doesn't guarantee the age of the artwork
but it does seem most likely

as re "experts"
'twould better that one should think for oneself.

and more:
sistine-chapel-of-the-ancients-1.jpg

There seems t be a dominant horizontal pattern to the story(?) depictions
(right to left? or left to right?)

as/re:
The experts:
The sheer scale of this discovery means that it will likely take archaeologists years, maybe generations, to fully study it. Some of these paintings are painted so high up in the cliff that they can only be viewed using drones. Robinson says to access the art, researchers free climbed and used vines to swing onto higher platforms.

What none of us sciforums members has is access to the entire 8 miles of the rock paintings.
(wild guess from someone with degrees in anthropology and archaeology)
the rock paintings were done over several generations-----------or by several different members of the group over several years?

ok guess
left to right?
or
right to left?

Last edited:
ok
mea culpa
When news broke worldwide of an incredible find in Colombia, local experts and guides say their knowledge was ignored and the region was misrepresented
so
credit where credit is due
The locals were studying the paintings for decades
"All members of the community interviewed for this story say the indigenous groups of the region have always known about the murals and recognize them as part of their cultural heritage."
see
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/hist...pJobID=2045381133&spReportId=MjA0NTM4MTEzMwS2

Last edited:
Back