10 best things US has done since Marshall Plan

Discussion in 'History' started by cosmic cow, Aug 12, 2005.

1. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Ironically the US was not interested in the least bit to prevent the Soviet Union to take over most of Europe during the end of WW2.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sniffy Banned Banned

I think you might find that the computer was invented by the British
    Big bang theory wasn't that Stephen Hawking another brit?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ericc Registered Senior Member

Well theres something new the US involved in War and as for culture the only reason you have any culture is due to the fact you are made up from the poeples of different nations in the first place.

The only culture you have sent to us in europe over the last years is to be included as being targets for bombers due to are miss guided support of yourselves in the first place.

Major technical innovator, Ye right most of the technical skills come from the poeples of other nations, all you do is pay to srink wrap the finished product, think you call this out source-ing these days!

PS Get with the program, dispite saying we love you, most of Europe cannot stand the US, we only say so to keep our Jobs, and just incase we also be come incorrect targets in the War on Terror (Sorry War on anything that moves).

Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Russ723 Relatively Hairless Ape Registered Senior Member

Fred Hoyle (I don't remember his partner's name) thought up the Big Bang Theory.

He intended the name to sound flippant.

8. Pi-Sudoku Slightly extreme Registered Senior Member

What was wrong with the USSR, i axcept that people like Stalin were mean but the communist idea is good

9. Pi-Sudoku Slightly extreme Registered Senior Member

No they haven't there are countries with way lower Tax than the USA
    For those that can afford them

But who pays for them if you have the lowest tax in the world?

If you like big trucks

I haven't heard of that one, i am intrested could you tell me more?

10. Pi-Sudoku Slightly extreme Registered Senior Member

For heavens sake you moron, people told me that some americans didn't believe in it but i thought they were joking, you have been brainwashed by the media!!!

Look at these sites

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4495463.stm
    http://www.mng.org.uk/green_house/threat/threat6.htm
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-1489955,00.html

Proof or what!

for heavens sake open your eyes and stop watching fox news

11. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Please leave some room for empirical data. No matter how good it may sound, every time it's been tried it has resulted in poverty, tyranny, and all around misery for everyone except the dictators who lived like kings. Did you ever read animal farm? It gives a good description of where communist ideals lead.

12. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Or what. A quote from your own linK from one of the scientists involved in the study:
    Furthermore, what of recent reports of global warming on mars? Did we cause that too? http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mgs/newsroom/20050920a.html
    Evidence does seem to support the idea that the earth is warming of late, but whether or not this has anything to do with human activities is uncertain and most evidence is based on questionable computer models.

13. milkweed Valued Senior Member

I would add the www as a great thing. Starting with ARPANET -- The First Internet
    http://www.livinginternet.com/i/ii_arpanet.htm

One can argue that maybe the first vision of the www probably the is NSFNET -- National Science Foundation Network
    http://www.livinginternet.com/i/ii_nsfnet.htm

Another great thing the us did was the Clean Air/Clean Water act which lead to the endangered speicies act. What I am unsure of is other nations examples of this. Maybe it wasnt a first.

14. CharonZ Registered Senior Member

Well actually I would differentiate here, too. While the research is indeed top notch (to a large part due to larger fundings compared to other countries), the education is lacking in parts. At least in the field of natural sciences, I can't comment on the other fields.
    From talks with Profs from different countries and personal experience with two MIT guys it appeared that many phd-students and fresh phds especially from the US lack pratical experience and are somewhat less autonomous than, say, most German graduates.
    That is most likely due to the fact that college level education in the US is still quite school-like. On the other hand, other countries are or have adopted this system (Germany is now converting to a bachelor-master system for instance) and basically the same decline is observable.

15. orcot Valued Senior Member

I was under the impression that the first internet was invented by CERN in switserland.

And what aboud kyoto?

nothing special compared to antibiotics (germany)
    or peniciline (scottish). But I agree still good.

16. Pi-Sudoku Slightly extreme Registered Senior Member

Well you can't reject the idea that global warming is happening whether or not we caused it, and the least we can do is do something about it. Ooh how about remove the CO2 that is proven to be keeping sun-heat in our atmosphere

17. milkweed Valued Senior Member

As I looked up some info, CERN is given credit for the portion of the internet known as the World Wide Web according to this paragraph : The World Wide Web began as a CERN project, initiated by Tim Berners-Lee in 1989. Based on the concept of hypertext, the project was aimed at facilitating sharing information among researchers. The first website went on-line in 1991. On April 30, 1993 CERN announced that the World Wide Web would be free to anyone.

from this link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CERN

However, it seems to be misleading in its crediting here. It sounds like hypertext has its origin with a sub contractor at CERN.

When reading this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Internet

"The Internet's roots lie within the ARPANET, which not only was the intellectual forerunner of the Internet, but was also initially the core network in the collection of networks in the Internet; it was also an important tool in developing the Internet (being used for communication between the groups working on internetworking research)."

It seems to be american efforts that created the internet in its majority and the hypertext discovery came along much later. The discovery at CERN enhanced the existing format greatly, but was no different than the first tv (B&W) and saying the color tv invention was the source of TV.

I would say kyoto is an enhancement of the Clean Air/Clean Water act. After all, Clean Air/Clean Water act was a nationally binding effort that I think lead to this act being implemented in other areas of the world, on their own level. If there are earlier versions of clean air/clean water that someone can point out, I would then withdraw this suggestion as one of the great things the usa has done since the marshall plan.

18. Wark Registered Member

Greatest things that came out of America, before and after Marshall Plan, in no specific order:

Harley-Davidson motorcycles, but sadly also the Enola Gay

Blues, Jazz and Rock & Roll, but sadly also gangsta rap.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt, but sadly also Ronald Reagan.

Michael Moore, but sadly also all the people that make it necessary for people like Michael Moore to do what they do.

The ideal of freedom and brotherhood, but sadly only the ideal, none of the deeds that should go with it.

I am not an american... but somehow I am.

And by the way: I know Michael Moore is fat. If you don't agree with me please use a better argument than that.

Peace.

19. Joker? Registered Senior Member

15. Has brain washed your ass into not thinking
    16. Will soon control the world
    17. Fast food (who can forget that, walk outside and you see 30 obese people out of 40)
    anymore?

20. voiceofreason1992 Registered Member

you're all kinda mssing the point

the general answer above is that the best things america has done are blah, blah, blah, we're very powerful, we own the technology, the universities, the scientific and financial facilities. the key question is not what america has done for america but what america has done for the world. in other words, what makes you great is the goodness you have caused in the world. this is a much harder question. there's no disputing america is a superpower. but how has it used that power and what will it use that power for in the future. i believe that the loss of legitimacy of america is directly linked to the financial problems it faces today as every intelligence agency in the world tries to pull the us financial rug from under it's feet.

if you cannot answer this question then please consider what things you could do to make america great in the sense of good again. believe me you will not have anything like the amount of power you have now in the future if you do not carry out this task.

21. tim840 Registered Senior Member

Philippine Independence - turning the Philippines into a modern, democratic, independent country
    MacArthur Constitution - rebuilding Japan on a democratic framework
    Berlin Airlift - preventing Communist takeover of Berlin
    Korean War - preventing Communist takeover of South Korea
    Taiwan Strait Crises - preventing Communist takeover of Taiwan
    Truman Doctrine - preventing Communist takeover of Greece and Turkey
    Cold War - defeating the Soviet Union

Making technological, medical, communicatory advances

Providing a gigantic export market for developing nations

Sending millions of dollars of foreign aid to countries all over the world

Serving as a model and an inspiration to people all over the world

22. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

British invention.

Scottish invention.

23. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

....Vietnam?

From the man who brought you 300,000 dead Japanese innocents.

You watched them fall apart. Watching is not the same as doing.

Proportional to its size and wealth, the US sent hardly anything compared to other developed nations.

I think you meant....keeping other country's stupid people entertained.