1 in 25 Americans is a monster

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Magical Realist, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Happy Halloween!

"According to Martha Stout, in her book The Sociopath Next Door, 1 in 25 Americans is a sociopath who has no conscience. These are people who could cut your throat from ear to ear because they don’t like your haircut and then go out for dinner and dancing before drifting off to a good night’s sleep. The good news is that the vast majority of these sociopaths aren’t inclined to be violent. In fact, many of them have even gone on to enjoy long, successful careers in Congress (sadly, I’m not joking about that)."---http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2012/10/26/the-7-creepiest-serial-killers-in-american-history/

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. arauca Banned Banned

Question : Atheist , do they have conscience ?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I'm atheist and I have a conscience. Why wouldn't I? I don't need some book or church telling me right from wrong.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. arauca Banned Banned

How did you learned right from wrong , I suppose you were born with knowledge.

8. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Lessons from my parents and my culture. Empathy. And reason. That's sufficient to discern right from wrong.

9. arauca Banned Banned

Great you had parents , were they Catholic , Protestants , Muslim . Buddhist ?

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Only my mother was protestant. My dad didn't care for church. Yet he was a good man. Imagine that!

11. arauca Banned Banned

Sure your dad was a good man , somebody thought him what is wrong and write . You can extrapolate to many generation back . the same way

12. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

So what? We learn lots of things from other people. Doesn't have anything to do with a God saying so.

13. arauca Banned Banned

He let man be in charged of the earth and give the commandment Love thay God with all your hearth and love they fellow man as your self . The world is ours , so we do as it pleases us , we kill each other , we robe each other and so on , What about the commandment ?

14. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Noone commanded man to do anything. He evolved from the beasts and formed his own laws and moral codes. History confirms this all the way back to the beginning of civilization.

15. arauca Banned Banned

I look it this way If there was no thing in the beginning I and you we will be children of Lusy ( Sr. Likey exploration ) and we would not be to different from the ape . By the way can you tell me why chimp . Gorilla , or orangutan did not evolve , they are as they were 20 million year ago.

16. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

It would be a stretch if we evolved physically but didn't evolve behaviorally as well. As for why chimps and gorillas haven't changed as much as humans, because they remained in the same jungle environment where the usual adaptations of tree-climbing and fruit eating were sufficient to survive. Only with our human ancestors, forced to adapt to the open plains east of the Great Rift Valley, were there new constraints to evolve bipedalism, nomadism, and a more intelligent hunter's brain supplied now with a new diet rich in protein.

17. Balerion Banned Banned

I think auraca might be one of those sociopaths you mentioned. I mean, after all, he is insinuating that without someone telling him, he wouldn't know right from wrong.

18. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

A morality of loyal obedience to commands is a morality of trained dogs incapable of rationally deciding anything. Watch all that training go out the window when the master is away.

19. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Two important things to note here:

1) Most sociopaths are not violent
    2) The US Federal Bureau of Prisons released a survey in July 2013, that only .07% of the US prison population identify themselves as atheists. An inconvenient truth for you, arauca.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  20. Balerion Banned Banned

Even dogs have a sense of ethics.

21. arauca Banned Banned

I don't know if you interpret this by saying all the inmates were religious before prison or after thy have become incarcerated . I can tell you this most inmates become believers in jail. In other way they found God in jail, Outside of Jail they did not have time for God, they did their own thing, So God provided them safety and time for meditation. Something more , the younger inmates are less religious then the mature population. Becoming a believers accept the conditions and the become passive . .

22. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Morality is something that is driven by society. Religion conforms to society it just takes awhile. For instance the bible says slavery is fine but society says it is evil so we conviniently ignore that part of the bible. In the newer versions of the bible there are even subtle changes to the text such as when Jesus talks about slaves and masters the newer bible versions imply it is employees and employers.

Another instance is the fact that in the bible Jesus states that if a man divorces his wife and remarries then he is commiting adultery and yet fundementalist christians have a relatively high divorce rate. There are all sorts of excuses in the protestant churches as to why we can ignore that particular section of the bible.

23. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Funny you mention this; I thought the same thing. I looked for more information to determine "when" the surveys were conducted (upon arriving to prison? after a few years of incarceration? etc..) and couldn't find anything to verify the survey findings.

But, yes it is not uncommon for people to become religious once they are incarcerated.

Valid point, arauca.