1^i = e^(-2pi)?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by devire, Aug 24, 2007.

1. devire Registered Member

got another complex analysis question for u guys and girls here. would 1^i = e^(-2pi), since e^(2pi*i) = 1, making 1^i = e^(2pi*i*i) = e^(-2pi) = 1 / e^(2pi). i tried it with my TI-83 calculator and it just gave me 1. so, which is it?

oh and "pi" = 3.14..., i don't know how to make the symbol so i just say "pi".

edit: i know this is probably wrong, but since 1 = e^0 = e^(2pi*i), wouldn't that make 2pi*i == 0, making 0 * i == -2pi?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. River Ape Valued Senior Member

I haven't studies math for forty years, but . . .
    doesn't e^(n.pi*i) = 1 where n is ANY even integer. So why pick on n = 2?
    No power of 1 can ever deviate from unity, can it?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

The thing is, you can rewrite a power using exponents and logs:
    \(1^i = (e^{\log 1})^i = e^{i \log 1}\)
    However, as River Ape pointed out, \(\log 1\) isn't well defined in complex numbers. \(2 \pi i k\) works \(\forall k \in Z\). So there are infinitely many answers:
    \(1^i = e^{i \log 1} = e^{i 2 \pi i k} = e^{-2 \pi k}\)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_logarithm#Log.28z.29_as_a_multi-valued_function

You can turn log into a single valued function by putting an arbitrary branch cut somewhere (e.g. force the imaginary part to be \(\in (- \pi, \pi]\) by convention) which is probably what your calculator did.

8. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

TI calculators (the only ones I've ever used) always give values on the principle branch of the function.

A similar problem arises when you try to compute arctangents. This is something the undergrads in my class never understand completely.

9. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

No, e^(n*pi*i) is 1 for n even, and -1 for n odd. Each increment of pi takes you half way around the unit circle.

10. devire Registered Member

for 1 and -1 raised to real powers, yes. but not when 1 or -1 is raised to a complex number, for example, (-1)^(-i) = e^pi.

P.S. why did u stop studying math for so long? u probably studied math pretty well if u could remember that after 40 years.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  11. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

Just to pick on you a bit more, the roots of unity are a very important mathematical concept. An n[sup]th[/sup] root of unity is a complex number that satisfies \(z^n=1\). Raising both sides to the 1/n power yields z=1[sup](1/n)[/sup], hence the name "root of unity". For more, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_of_unity and http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RootofUnity.html as starters.

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

They way I see it, the only way 2pi*i can be o is when i = o :shrug: