“Dance Moms” Children Doing Burlesque

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Trooper, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

There is a difference between nudity and sex. I don't see any shame in the natural human body, even as a child. I, myself, loved (and still do) being nude when I can. It's not sexual. As a child I loved swimming nude and going to the beach nude, even into my early teen years. Nobody had a problem with it because it was innocent. There's nothing sexual about it. It was just kids being kids. I grew up in a family that didn't shun nudity (though they also didn't proavtively promote it either). As a kid, it was just natural.

However, I think this one does cross the line a little bit. Burlesque shows have always been for adults. Back in times past, they were considered to be what we equate to as "adult entertainment". Granted, times have changed and definitions have as well. But exploiting children (who clearly do not want to do this) by doing such a show I think crosses the line.

This isn't children playing nude on the beach or swimming nude, like I did as I child. This is exploiting them. That, I think, draws the line. Even though the kids are not actually nude, I think it still puts a bad taste on it all when they are being told to act like they are and to exploit them as such.

Capturing the natural human body while behaving naturally is one thing. But there is nothing natural about nude (or apparently nude) children doing burlesque shows.

This reminds me a few artists that were in the spotlight of controversy for their works. One was a photographer who photgraphed her children nude. I can't remember her name. But she ended up having her work pulled from an exhibit.

Another was a painter/sculptor by the name of Otto Lohmuller. He was known for painting and drawing nude figures. They were never sexual in nature.

Though I'm by no means a fan of their work, I don't mind what they do because they both capture the natural beauty of the human body and none of it is intended for sexual or adult purposes.

Again, burlesque shows are adult oriented. There's no way around it, at least not to me.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I agree, nudity is fine in a casual environment or the beach, but this is children pretending to be strippers, in public. I also find all beauty pageants offensive, particularly ones for kids.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.