Banning of Baron Max?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Avatar, Oct 15, 2008.

?

Do you support potential banning of Baron Max

1. Yes

12.5%
  2. No

70.8%
  3. Not sure

16.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Hey, kids!
    One mod is considering warning and then banning Baron Max for good, because apparently some unknown members are sick of Baron Max's "antagonistic style". And, of course, that mod doesn't like Baron Max much.

Because Avvy and Sammy dislike the idea [to put it mildly] and nobody else has spoken up, the mod in question thinks that he shouldn't have bothered with the discussion and just outright started the "ban cycle".

So let's get this out in the open, who are those members against Baron Max contributing to our forum and are their reasons sound, or is it just bitching because on the inability to stand against?

Or maybe it's just a fantasy of some mod? In that case - abuse of power, ra ra ra!

Vote!

p.s. Oh, and I may be breaking the privacy rule of mod subforum, but I was as discreet as possible, leaving out all the juicy and ugly details,
    and I think the public has the right to know and prove if the mod in question is just daydreaming or there really is some forum-wide opposition to Baron Max being our member that I'm not aware of. And that opposition should better not be our comfort circle of overly emotional persons.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I am in favour of banning Baron Max. He rarely posts anything constructive. Most of the time he just has a go at people.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

For what? I'm obviously not a big fan of his views, but I don't see how this would be justified.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Yes, and that sometimes gets people to think that maybe they were not so right in the first place. I think it makes people reconsider and re-evaluate their argument and either to harden it or abandon it.
    Baron, in my opinion, asks good questions, that, even if they seem stupid, are valid from some point of view, and since view is subjective, the truth might be in the middle.

8. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I assume, for being non-contributory the vast majority of the time. When was the last post of his that was not merely an attack on someone?

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

That's exactly the problem. I'm not a fan of his views either, but I see this just as a temper tantrum of some mod and possibly a few easily offended members.

10. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

He just clogs up threads with his crap though.

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I could say that about a lot more people here, the ones who use this forum as a big chat room. Baron at least keeps to the topic, and in that he's better than the chat crowd.

12. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

You got to be kidding. Show me the posts that justify this.

13. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Tiassa or Asguard?

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Not my place to say that. Let him come out of the closet himself.

15. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

A temper tantrum by a Mod??!!

Never.

16. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

For the record, I think this thread is a terrible idea for several reasons, not the least of which is that if a (non-mod) member started a thread like this, it would be considered grounds for a banning.

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I think that the proposed reasons for banning Baron Max is the truly terrible and shocking idea!

Since I never told the name of the mod, there is nothing that would antagonize anyone against anyone in particular here.
    And I'm not complaining against any particular mod either. This is a pool to find out if that mod holds true premises for his argument.

I'm not even proposing banning of a member, just asking if there might be valid reasons to ban him. The proposition was made by another. And I'm against that proposition!

The only rule that I see I might have broken is the privacy rule, but privacy is of a lower importance than justice. And I've done everything to minimize any private info from the mod subforum.

So I don't see how you might think that this might be a bannable offence.

Any way, if someone here, particularly the administration, thinks that I've abused my rights and obligations as a mod - strip me or ban me, I don't care, this is a principle thing and first and foremost I'm worried about the interests of this community as a whole.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  18. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

He doesn't, though. He just spews vitriol.

19. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Yes, but its not mindless vitriol.

20. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Fair enough...you ARE the lawyer.

I would have been more comfortable if the poll question was posed as an hypothetical situation, or a general policy question, as opposed to naming specific members and mods.

This is just me, though.

21. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

If this is your criteria for banning someone, then the list of those to be banned would be quite long.

22. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

How is that possible just because 1 mod wants him banned he is out??? ( my guess is Tiassa)

That is total BULLSHIT!

There are MANY members here who have made reports in the last couple days and would like to see SAM get banned for her behaviour. Why don't our numerous reports count for something around here?

Why are we not allowed to make a thread with a poll asking members who would like to see SAM banned?
    If we did, it would be shut down and we would possibly be banned for starting it. Nice Double Standards around here.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  23. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Hush, hush, I still might get into trouble for this. Different timezones, not any admins present, etc.

Oh, and there is an important difference.
    In this case there is a clear danger, because mod has a power to ban someone.
    Members can't do that, irrespective of any pools.

Because of that danger I felt an action has to be taken.
    In your case, there is no danger at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.