Mothers..

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Challenger78, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Under what conditions if any is it ok to hit one's parent ?

I recently saw a documentary, looking at the inverse of parental abuse, where perfectly normal children hit their parents. The documentary pointed to drug abuse, and violent tendencies in children as the cause.

I also know that it's pretty hidden from society, you hear about parental abuse, but you don't hear about the opposite. But that said, and (in defense of teenagers), Parents can get physically and very abusive at times..

So when is it ok to strike back ?, Or is it never ok ?.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I would never hit either of my parents. Even if my Mom slapped my now, I wouldn't hit her back. I would just walk away and leave.
    I suppose the only thing that comes to mind is protecting my kids.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Depends upon the situation. If a parent is really beating a child then the child should defend themselves and then call the police and get away quickly. If the parent is only spanking a child then there's no reason to strike back at the parent for discipline is something that parents are supposed to do. When in doubt, get out!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

If my husband slapped me, could I slap him back? If a parent slapped a child, could the child slap back? Does it depend on age?

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Depends upon the situation. Slapping is not a very good thing and if anyone slapped anyone else then they should get divorced quickly because this kind of behavior only leads to more and more abuse. As for disciplining a child , I would never hit a child for any reason. There are many ways to discipline without hitting anyone. If you feel you must hit some child then you should seek a good psychologist for help because you have a problem with controlling your anger and also have problems with how to discipline correctly.

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

i love you. :thankyou:

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

The only time I have hit my dad was either during a mess about fight, or a dead arm competition.

12. lepustimidus Banned Banned

Once you're an adult?

In self defense.

Or in retaliation, if they have a history of slapping you around.

If you're a child? Never, except in extreme cases of self-defense.

13. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

It is never OK to hit parents, no matter what. It is the highest form of disrespect.

Parents are allowed to hit children, but only in situations that other methods will not resolve, and they do this only for the good of the children who they are raising.

Our parents have raised us from infancy among countless nights of hardship, the least we can do is listen to them and respect them as we grow under their guidance and love.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said "Paradise is under the feet of your mother" and "he who turns away from his parents, God turns away from him."

14. lepustimidus Banned Banned

Diamond:
    You make it sound as if there is no such thing as an abusive parent.

15. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

I have never come across one. 99% of parents want the best for their children. If if one has an abusive parent (which from my experience is extremely, extremely rare), it is not proper to retaliate in kind. There are other methods to deal with this situation.

No child should ever hit their parents. Unfortunately, we need to respect our parents more than we do and I have noticed that many people fail in this regard. Even if we respect our parents our whole lives and honor them, I don't believe we can ever repay their love and their sacrifices for us.

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

17. oiram Registered Senior Member

Yes but there is probably more to those statistics than meet the eye, for me sensationalism is what comes to mind.

If you read carefully the article you linked it says 34% of the abuse and the highest portion is emotional abuse, and exactly what defines emotional abuse in these Oh so political correct times.

What about physical abuse and neglect at 28% both are also not defined, so is slapping a child considered physical abuse, or not buying new nice clothes for your child considered neglect?

10% of sexual abuse (I won’t argue this one)

But wait that is only 72% when added up, what makes up the other 28% or did I miss that?

18. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

You should never hit a parent a back.

The only time I could maybe see that is in the worst case scenario. Let's say a parent got drunk and was beating on you. I could maybe see hitting them back just to get away. :shrug:

Swearing at, hitting, calling parents bad names is very disrespectful.

19. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Never. I would never hit my parents ever. Even when your parents are abusive, you just need to get out. The thought would never ever cross my mind. Even if my mother were to hit me now I would never even consider hitting her back.

20. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

Parents shouldn't hit their children, children shouldn't hit their parents. Although my dad and I sometimes wrestle.. If you're parents are being abusive, and for some reason you can't get away, of course you should defend yourself.

21. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Never. Under no condition unless you're being raped or something.

It's so disrespectful, it's beyond belief IMO; I never EVER did that, and if I ever did, my father would make sure I remembered it.

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i think you will find that its 28% for physical abuse and ANOTHER 28% for neglect

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member