The Commons In Cyberspace

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Gustav, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Gustav Banned Banned

pardon
    does anyone know what that is about?
    has anyone encountered a virtual park bench in cyberspace?
    i mean, while a drunken stupor might warrant a "move along" from a pig, i could say........gee, i cant say everything. however there are standards maintained that i find reasonable and conducive to maintain a civic society

i then contrast with ......"...as they see fit"

that outlining the limitations of moderation on posts and....

The owners of SciForums.com reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

the limitations of the site admin/owner

its basically carte blanche and whatnot
    in practice however sci has done exceedingly well
    or maybe not

do we aspire to anything?
    i notice some just love the fact that this place could be obliterated with a simple mouse click.

thoughts?
    non thoughts?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

http://youtube.com/

Nice place to visit for a few moments to waste time and lollygag about. See things that you might like there as well as hear them too!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

The commons, poor thing, is right now having its genes sequenced and patented.

This breath of air brought to me by..............[little flashing holo in the air in front of me with a company name; rapid deduction of micro-pennies from my bank account to pay my monthly inhalation bill]

And then the internet....?

Oh the 'commons', just the utterance of the word, allows one to be both quaint and radical simultaneously.

But you and your faulty DNA will soon be tweaked into line by ingesting GM viruses. Forget hemophiliacs. Look out malcontents, gadflies, curmudgeons and even the merely passionate. We'll just flip that adenosine there and.....see what a bright day it is, get back in line number 27*118$.

And then the nanotechnologists will laugh at the splicers for fixing you so crudely.

Psychiatrists will be talked about like barbers of old.

Of course irony, not to speak of, well, all human emotion, will be dead.

Finally we will be objective and rational.

The ultimate rationalizing is taking place as we speak.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

our strength is derived from diversity aka mutation. however the impulse is towards consolidation in the socioeconomic spheres. perhaps.... the bred descend into madness, semi or otherwise, while the poor cousin, removed a gazillion times, comes up with the breakthrough to save mankind.

ja, a good match

if #27 is tweaked for optimum performance and productivity, i suspect the tasks required could, for the most part, be mechanized.

if the alleged inevitable consists only of clones and their suited overlords, it is neither objective nor particularly rational. their spin, presented in the one and only newspaper left standing, could be absorbed or used as asswipe.

civ will not persevere for long. if it does, too bad. i am already besides myself with boredom

8. Gustav Banned Banned

....and wafts my ass to times square NY, which i heard was brutally disneyfied with batons and water cannon quite some years ago

9. Gustav Banned Banned

to feel....is logical and rational; objectively speaking of course
    the emotion can be deduced from the past and present situ
    it is however the occurrence or intensity that is called into question...ie: it's appropriateness

those resistant are simply.....quite mad

10. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

Yes. It is a sign of technological effectiveness when one can make people nostalgic for pimps, alleyway sex, syringes with blood on them and pickpockets.

11. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

Get over it, is the catchphrase.

Of course, you never let me.

12. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

Internal diversity also.
    Hone,
    whittle yourself down.
    Anything that impedes effectiveness - at work
    coolness - in school, in the photos and videos that have replaced...
    stoicism - which is rewarded in newspapers, testimonials (and at work and in school)

There really is only a small portion of us that we may leave in place.

The rest must be hidden, leashed, denied,

or best of all projected on others.

Hence....

13. Gustav Banned Banned

/mystified

are you a n00b?
    or a sci veteran?

cynicism is fatalism
    easily refuted

14. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

Not really reacting to sci
    but more to those for whom get over it is a philosophy.
    Cynicism as response to specific individuals and groups and patterns is not fatalism.

And what about cynicism in reaction to the widespread fatalism - which we are instructed to be stoic in relation to the truths of - out there?

15. Gustav Banned Banned

i agree
    however...expectations, misplaced or otherwise, have a nasty habit of becoming...self fulfilling? aspirations are for naught when one is fast tracked to work the strawberry fields. we have our mods as a decent example as well...."asshole, eh? i'll show you asshole"

knee jerk reaction aka the path of least resistance

16. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

my bold. (i like that sentence fragment)

And so the question is raised....

How do we un expect?

Given the deeply entrenched nature of some of our expectations - in fact most scientists consider some of them hardware, though I do not agree - how do we change them?

The new agers will have us simply change the words in our minds.
    Common sense generally functions as shame and guilt.
    Most try to tinker is slightly more complicated ways with our mental phrasing.
    A few braver souls are willing to feel into, with us, the emotions that are clinging to the expectations as if they were life rafts or armor.
    Are we deep enough yet?
    Hmm.

17. Gustav Banned Banned

/happy eek

18. Gustav Banned Banned

i need chris to expound a bit on probable futures
    there might be governance in cyberspace

lets pour some cement in new and novel ways

19. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

Really though, this here is not "the commons" in every possible sense. The commons were areas that were owned by no person or group of people had a claim to exclusive contol.

The owners of the sciforums domain have the right to excludively control what gets posted here. That they generally allow public posts doesn't change that. It's as if they have bought themselves a notebook and they are letting all of us write messages on the blank pages. Just because we enjoy writing in it doesn't cause it to stop being "thier notebook."

In essence this is their clubhouse. We are invited in, but they reserve the right to control the space. There's nothing unfair about that.

20. Gustav Banned Banned

perhaps an examination of private property in real space might be in order.
    the extent and limitations of rights. the history and evolution.
    a transposition thru valid analogies into cyberspace
    then perhaps.....a messy squabble

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  21. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equilibrium_(film)