How long is a Permanent Ban?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Lord Hillyer, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

This is the internet, and time is skewed. Let's say Dr Lou Natic returns in two years. Everyone will be so nostalgic no one will care about re-banning him. He might even become a retroactive Old Timer©, reminiscing of the Golden Days™ of Sciforums®.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

A permaban is likely to never be lifted for the life of this forum.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

`
    Aren't they done with IP#s ?

Just hit IP reset on your PC...

"knit youself" a sock...

And it's whoopity-boop badda-bim da-da-doo !

I mean - if you care enough to bother.

What the Devil got the Doc banned in perpetuum anyway ?

Every time I read about something like this I can't believe somebody else is gone, but I'm still seeing darksidZz posts.

Whims, I tell ya...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Actually there is discussion about hiring people to do hits to stop the increase in sock puppets and childish behaviour. This will mean that if members get out of line, they will end up "sleeping with the fishes".

[j/k]

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Read the explanation on the ban list.

9. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

WoW Dr Lou was a one off and will never be replaced. This is sad news. So what if he never learns, what are you asking him to learn? Learn to be like you or else?

People are racist and have all sort or prejudices nothing is ever going to change that apart from honest open dialogs which of course can never happen when you ban people.

Sad day for SciForum

10. Sputnik Banned Banned

But not certain , I see .......Sderenzi and ToR are still here .....

Ahemm , how much are you willing to pay per capita ??
    Just joking ........:m:

11. mountainhare Banned Banned

alex:
    You don't get it. Dr Lou insulted God's chosen people. Hell, if James had have let those anti-semitic slurs continue unchecked, we'd have another Holocaust on our hands!

12. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I don't make the rules as far as who can come back. But what I mean is that once a username is banned permanently, it's never going to come back. You will NEVER see the username ToR post again, for example.

No because IP bans would have to ban on a range to be "successful." But doing so also bans lots of potential members, too.

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

alexb123:

No. He was one of a dime-a-dozen anti-semites that can be found anywhere on the internet.

Learn to abide by the rules that he explicitly agreed to abide by when he signed up as a forum member. They are terms and conditions of use of sciforums.

Want an open dialog with racists? Then go to one of their many sites. They
    are not difficult to find.

mountainhare:

There's nothing special about this rule being enforced regarding Jewish people. The rules are enforced for racial insults directed at any group. Wake up.

14. mountainhare Banned Banned

James:
    Good God man, what's wrong with you?

OK, you don't like Dr Lou. He's an anti-semite, and that's bad. He probably did break the (rather vague) rules of this forum.

But give credit where credit is due. You can't say with a straight face that Dr Lou wasn't an intelligent and thought-provocative poster. His ability to argue effectively in favour of socially inappropriate viewpoints has assisted me in thinking of life in totally new ways. His wit always elicited a chuckle, and it was always a highlight to see that Lou had previously posted in a thread.
    Just because you don't like his manner of presentation doesn't nullify his genius.

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Indeed, Dr Lou was an asset to sciforums. An original. One of the few people I would actually always check the posts from.

And ironically he was banned. At the same time the army of braindead racists continues to multiply on sciforums unscathed. They have to be tolerated because of some twisted sense of political correctness.

At the same time one of the most liked members of sciforums is eliminated. His responses here make it perfectly clear the reasons are personal since no objectivity can be found in them.

Anyone who ever reported a post by Dr Lou should receive an auto-permaban.

16. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

I am the same a spurious in that I checked Dr Lou's post history and he is the 'only' person on this forum that I have even done that to.

I think the ban should be lifted, this is clearly a mistake. But thankfully one that can be undone and I hope that it will.

17. draqon Banned Banned

as long as sciforums servers function.

18. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

WHo is this doc lou?

19. draqon Banned Banned

some banned asian dude....

20. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

he got a permanent ban? thats bullshit yeah he was a bit controversial and maybe slightly racist at times, but seriously i think he contributed to the forums alot, he gave good opinions that are not run of the mill, i respect dr lou he shared alot of the same views as i do, a fellow survival of the fittest man after my own heart.

he would have made a great warrior,

what asswipe banned him? and james if you give me an infraction for saying asswipe thats not cool.

peace.

21. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

I don't think I have had an infraction before but please could I have one asswipe (james). I want to feel I have suffered for a cause!

22. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

Perhaps Dr Lou will return as Dr Fell.

23. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

Lord good try on the poll was thinking of doing the same myself. I think this proves that Sciforum and some of its Mods can be too far up their own ass at times

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.