Long Life Spans: “Adam Lived 930 Years and Then He Died”

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by MarcAC, Apr 10, 2006.

1. MarcAC Curious Registered Senior Member

Looks/Sounds interesting? Read on...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mrhero54 Registered Senior Member

Information can be constructed to support anything. My question is why would God put a limit on mankind's years as if we were immortal to begin with?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

My question is if people could live for 900+ years, why would they die at all? This is just silly, people are not trees. It would be a disaster for the planet as well, unless the birth rate were cut dramatically.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MarcAC Curious Registered Senior Member

Only in the relevant context, in which case it is worthy of consideration.
    Immortal in what sense?

In the Bible there are two types of death, Physical and Spiritual.

Humans were Spiritually immortal to begin with - I haven't seen anything I can interpret as physical immortality.

8. MarcAC Curious Registered Senior Member

I don't understand your position. Trees die, even after living 5000+ years. The progression of aging may just have been slower. Not to mention the little fact that the days were shorter and possibly the oribtal (Earth) year.
    Well, it was wasn't it? The population of humans wasn't rather large back then.

I'm not saying I believe humans lived 900+ years (as would be applicable to present humans) - the evidence is there to be considered by all - I'm considering it.

9. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

Christians are not interested in science unless they can scrape the barrel of it to support wild claims.

If you are so interested in science then why are you even religious at all since much of it proves your religion false?

10. Mrhero54 Registered Senior Member

Its not the science that bothers me but the reasoning.

How would you feel if your Dad lived to be 930 but your hair started turning gray at 40.

How did people keep track of their birthdays without a calendar?

If God made us spiritually immortal, then why not physically immortal as well? Or If the body can die, why not the spirit?

And doesn't the Bible mention spiritual death ALL THE TIME? "The wages of sin are [spiritual] death...etc."

What's the point of physical death anyway?

These are the type of questions that keep me from believeing that the Bible is good for nothing but toilet paper.

11. leopold Valued Senior Member

i think it is unfair of you to lump all christains into the same pile
    i am very much interested in science
    i am very much interested in why religion is so universal
    google the phrase "god gene"

12. Trilairian Registered Senior Member

No one ever lived that long. I have no idea where the myth gets its ages, but they are utterly ridiculous.

13. MarcAC Curious Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

, funny, but just that, not substantial.
    Science isn't life, just a part of it.

Proves your religion false... how so?

14. MarcAC Curious Registered Senior Member

Me too.
    That's emotion, not reason.
    While it is hard to say when exactly humanity started to understand the cyclic motions of the "stars", it started at one point. The oldest civilisations display interest in the "stars" and their motions.
    I think spiritual death in the Bible means spiritual isolation from God, the Nurturing Source. But, you can be reborn.
    Maybe population control... or maybe it's just a physical fact that everything obeys some cyclic "law of nature" where since nature is dynamic, and we're an integral part of it, then we must be a part of that dynamic whole and participate in its cyclic progression (change). Everything "dies".
    Interesting, ever tried to seek any answers?

15. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

Marc, I am Muslim and we also believe that before the flood in story of Hazrat Nuh (Noah), mankind's lifespan was significantly different. There are some traditions by our Prophet Muhammad (s) that Hazrat Adam was very tall and also his lifespan was very long. I think there is a tradition that Hazrat Noah preached to his people for more than 900 years, but when they didnt listen then Allah swt brought the flood to wipe them out.

You are very knowledgeable and have good points to make. I agree with alot of what you said.

Thanks for the information.

Peace.

16. MarcAC Curious Registered Senior Member

Thanks also for the info you have provided, and for the encouragement.

17. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

All of science say's Adam and Eve never and couldn't happen. I.E. It's impossible. That is not scientific theory, it's a fact. It also never happened 6,000 years ago and Eve wasn't created from Adam's rib and Adam wasn't made from dust and clay. This is all pretty basic stuff as far as science goes.

But, here you come and say that because it may be possible to control aging via science, you use this theory to support the above paragraph. Shame on you.

18. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

People simply cannot live that long. In ancient times, disease and poor medical knowledge prevented it except among the rich and the powerful (kings, empeorors, nobility).
    The only reason people can live into thier 120s nowadays is because of modern medicine, medicine they did not have in ancient times.
    Since god does not exist, he cannot "change" human biochemistry to allow longer ages. It is scientifically impossible.

19. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

Yet it is 'possible' Humans have formed from other species and even originate from inorganic to organic molecules to unicellular to multi cellular organisms to fish to rats to apelike creatures to humans?

I think that change of humans life spans would be easier and more logical than humans coming from other species.

Peace.

20. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

Firstly, human life spans do change. Not to the degree of 930 years though.

Secondly, I agree. Woah my uneducated brain finds it crazy that humans evolved from organic goo. I also find it crazy that gravity compresses dust to form stars. Woah! Dude!

I better go pray to the creator of the universe who is in human form and has a penis...

21. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

Muslims don't believe this.

Peace.

22. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

Oh right, so the other 1 or 2 billion are wrong then. Phew! At least you're right though, that's the main thing.

23. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

While the purpose of this scientific research to prolong human life exist, and continues to develop, I much really doubt that only two individuals started the whole human race! Adam & Eve are mythological stories, this is not literal. The bible is not a document of past events, it's stolen stories from many cultures, the Hebrews hardly knew how to read or write, these stories are depicted by others of that era. It's not original, though their document has survived the test of time.

Adam & Eve myth

click

click

Godless