Polar bears are drowning

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by spuriousmonkey, Dec 20, 2005.

1. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

http://www.nature.com/news/2005/051219/full/051219-6.html
    Drowning polar bears worry researchers
    It was claimed that polar bears were being forced by climate change into cannibalism and attempting suicidal swims. Well, it was noticed that the bears had to attempt longer swims than usual because of receding ice increasing the risk of drowning.

However a solution is at hand:
    http://www.nature.com/news/2005/051219/full/051219-1.html
    Man breaks world records with antartic swim

We suggest we send this man to the artic to give the polar some tips and possibly train them.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

There was some greate pictures of 4-5 gleches in the paper some days ago, the pictures of the gleches where set beside eachother, 1 from around 1900 and 1 from around 2005.

All of the new ones where quite amazing, with almost no show or ice and green grass all over in the newest of the pictures , greate comparison.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2005
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

this stuff pisses me off. people are suing the US because the polar bears are dying. that is ridiculous for two reasons.
    1. animals go extinct all the time, big deal. should I sue because there are no more woolly mammoths?
    2. it is impossible to tell exactly how much of the climate change is due to the US.

tree huggers piss me off.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

Your right, destroing an eco system is a big deal

the US is responcible for quite a large far of the total global polution and up until reasontly they have been compleately unwilling to even just talk about reducing polution.

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Is it very unreasonable to ask the polar bear to designate the polar bear as 'threatened'?

9. Andre Registered Senior Member

These Polar bears would be ROFL

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

http://www.churchillmb.net/~cnsc/ab-attrac-bears.html
    http://gocanada.about.com/od/westerncanada/a/polarbears.htm

http://biology.usgs.gov/s t/noframe/s034.htm

http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/hansart.nsf/V3Key/LC20050525043

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

What the hell does anyone need with the damned polar bears? ....except in zoos, of course, where we can all look at 'em! What good is the polar bear to ...well, to anyone or anything?

Baron Max

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Soon the only ones left will be in a museum of natural curiosities, just like you and your kind.

12. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, when the last dodo bird died, did it cause any major upheaval in the world?

How many other species have gone extinct in the last 200 years? And did the passing of any of them cause any major upheaval in the world?

I'm not trying to be an asshole here, Spider, but seriously ...what difference will it make to anyone? How many people on Earth would ever actually see a polar bear in the wild? And if no human ever saw one, would it be like the tree that falls in the forest and no one hears it?

We try to make big issues out of things like this, but then no one seems to be able to adequately answer those simple questions. ...well, other than some snide-ass remarks meant to denigrate the questioner.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Baron Max

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

The problem here is that you Baron wouldn't even care if your neighbours would go extinct. That's just you. But some people actually care about the world they live in.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It did within the dodo-bird community.

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

People are still talking about the Dodo. I guess the extinction did cause a major upheaval.

16. Andre Registered Senior Member

What is this? la-la-la-I-can't-hear-you-ism? Am I on the ignore list or so?

I show that Polar Bears, which, incidentely, survived the early Holocene Thermal maximum (Hypsithermal) and the Medieval Warming Period, are thriving, increasing their numbers considerably, yet people continue to let them go extinct?

17. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

It happens to me all the time. So I read the links. A few comments maybe to spark off some discussion:

from the 3rd link:
    I highlighted global perturbations here. The researchers of this article were cautious about this for good reason. As they mentioned several times in the article. We do not really understand the complex interactions that govern the polar bear population. I would also like to point out the newest data in this article comes from 1992 if I have seen it correctly. That's more than a decade ago. Are there more recent figures you know off? It would be interesting to compare them. The other problem is that they measured local populations. Are they the populations that are effected first when ice retreats?

4th article:

This seems more a political pamflet to counter political claims by environmental groups. I can't really extract very useful information about it.

It is mentioned that populations of polar bears acrros canada have increased. But I would like to see the original research. Is the increase merely the increase of contact with humans, which could have many causes? Is it an increase in actual numbers of polar bears? etc.

Maybe I will surf a bit later on to see if there is some other objective data around.

Of course environmental groups will distort scientific data to abuse the goodwill of the media and the people. This doesn't mean that the fate of the polar bear is not uncertain.

18. leopold Valued Senior Member

i say we wage war on nature, just whip her ass.
    nuke the whales!

19. leopold Valued Senior Member

fur coats for ritzy women. the rest, throw it away.

20. leopold Valued Senior Member

you are a natural born asshole baron,there is no "trying" to it.

21. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, that was certainly a nice thing to say. However, I noticed that you didn't answer the question I posed ...why not? Can't think of an good answer? Can't think of ANY answer? ...so you rely on a personal attack against the questioner, therefore feel that the question doesn't need to be answered? ...sorta' like killing the messenger if you don't like the message?

Merry Christmas to you,

Baron Max

22. leopold Valued Senior Member

why thank you baron, it came straight from the heart

why not what?

this ain't gonna turn into one of those who's on first deals is it?

merry christmas to you too

23. valich Registered Senior Member

The real problem, as is also mentioned in this article, is Global Warming. Polar Bears need to go out far enough onto the ice to catch seals for food in the winter. Global Warming has not only made the ice sheet smaller, but thinner too, so they break through the ice.

This article is interesting because it seems to suggest that the Polar Bears know that they have to get out farther into the Arctic Ocean to capture seals, whether or not they walk out on ice or swim out to get them. Is this intelligence, or instinct?