Do you fear Death?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by spidergoat, Feb 7, 2005.

?

Do you fear Death?

1. Yes

17.2%
  2. No

53.4%
  3. Don't know, never faced it.

5.2%
  4. I fear dying, but not death itself.

31.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I was wondering what attitudes we have towards death.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. the preacher fur is loose 666 Registered Senior Member

spider: unfortunately both atheists and theists will vote no, for completely different reasons.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Well, I suppose the preacher is right...

Anyway, I do not fear death. It seems stupid to me to fear something that cannot be avoided and which is quite natural. I do not fear taking a leak either.

Of course, that is the theory.

You got a point there with the fearing the dying part. If it was something excrutiantingly painful, like leaving life Jesus-style, then yes, I would probably be afraid to die that way. If I would just drop dead...I suppose that would be allright.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

I'll be honest and say yes I fear death, but I don't fear what comes after it. I have watched enough people dieing to know it's an awful experience.

8. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

I think its always worse for those watching someone they love dying...then the one dying..
    after all sick dying people are usualy pumped up full of painkillers and drugs to not feel much pain when they go.
    me I dont fear death,as long as I go naturaly,in my sleep when Im about 120 years old

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

this is your death

9. Beryl WWAD What Would Athelwulf Do? Registered Senior Member

I fear some methods of dying, but as a general rule I don't fear dying or death. It's all a part of life.

10. caffeine_fubar Dark Dementia is my name... Registered Senior Member

I was going to say that if you have an infection, taking a leak can be a scary thing... but then you said "jesus-style" so nevermind lmao

11. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Why fear death? Living is the scary part.

- N

12. Yorda Registered Senior Member

I don't fear death, I hope I'll die soon! But if the Lord does not want that, I have to wait...

13. duendy Registered Senior Member

I felt sad when i read you say that Yorda. though yet i CAN understand that desire in THIs world!

me, i am exploring about it. of course the thought of it is completeyl AWWWEEEEsome, and some. and it is one thing intellectualizing about it, and actually being faced with it.

shit, we have been spun so many stories. imagine how Catholics, and fundys feel about death. about the possibility of EVERLASING HELLLLL! how many people over the centruies have approached death with THAT worry? sweet be jeeezsus! it's a crime!

deeath is taboo in our culture. even people with terminal illnesses cant get PERMISSION-for fuks sake-to DIE! so there's this idea we should cling to life no matter what. and this in a supposedly 'athiestic secualr culture.....(anyone got any ideas about that??)...i feel that death is te great power the powers that be have over us. and why they have demonized it over the years

earth pagans believed death was a return to the Mother from which one became regenerated again into new life

i amalso curious about the athiests here. when they say 'whaen yer dead yer dead' what do you mean? that you wont EVEr be aware no more?...if you know what i mean

14. duendy Registered Senior Member

I felt sad when i read you say that Yorda. though yet i CAN understand that desire in THIs world!

me, i am exploring about it. of course the thought of it is completeyl AWWWEEEEsome, and some. and it is one thing intellectualizing about it, and actually being faced with it.

shit, we have been spun so many stories. imagine how Catholics, and fundys feel about death. about the possibility of EVERLASING HELLLLL! how many people over the centruies have approached death with THAT worry? sweet be jeeezsus! it's a crime!

deeath is taboo in our culture. even people with terminal illnesses cant get PERMISSION-for fuks sake-to DIE! so there's this idea we should cling to life no matter what. and this in a supposedly 'athiestic secualr culture.....(anyone got any ideas about that??)...i feel that death is te great power the powers that be have over us. and why they have demonized it over the years

earth pagans believed death was a return to the Mother from which one became regenerated again into new life

i amalso curious about the athiests here. when they say 'whaen yer dead yer dead' what do you mean? that you wont EVEr be aware no more?...if you know what i mean

15. duendy Registered Senior Member

16. duendy Registered Senior Member

17. duendy Registered Senior Member

18. duendy Registered Senior Member

19. duendy Registered Senior Member

20. duendy Registered Senior Member

21. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Wow - 8 identical responses, Duendy. Thanks.

Personally, I do not fear death.
    I have no desire to die but no actual fear of death itself.

If anything I have a fear of not making the most of it while I'm alive.

22. Jolly Rodger Banned Banned

as that great movie was called........
    BRING IT ON

23. fadeaway humper that way lies madness Registered Senior Member

I don't particularly fear my own death, but I very much fear the prospect (certainty, really) of my loved ones dying. Well, it's not so much "fear" as a deep, devastating sadness whenever I contemplate the fact that, once they are gone, they will be gone for good. Just the fucking thought alone has had me crying like a little girl on occasion, wishing to high heaven that I believed in some kind of afterlife where I could at least meet, from time to time, the ones that matter to me. Since it's likely that I won't be the first to go, at some point I will have to actually deal with that irreversible loss. And that, my friends, is going to hurt like a bitch.

So, basically, this whole death business can only keep me down while I'm alive and thinking about it. Hence, I'd like to thank spidergoat for starting this thread. It has made my day. (

)

Edited to add: It seems I'll have to vote "yes", after all, seeing as there is no "I fear the implications of death" option in the poll.