Dennis Miller on Politics

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Tiassa, Dec 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I found this a very interesting notion from Miller. You'll notice that the underlying presumption justifying his decision in history is rightist to begin with. Very telling.

But therein lies an issue of its own: We must remember that people like Miller are merely comedians. While we might hope or even expect more from them, what does it say when pseudo-comedic compression of history into a paradigmatic one-liner is the best he can come up with? I mean, Time gave him column space, and this is the best he could come up with?

Yeah, this is a brain on drugs. It looks like the cocaine really has caught up with him, and that's sad. I mean, he's always had a Libertarian bent about him, but this is just getting sad.

P.J. O'Rourke, Dennis Miller ... why is it that when funny people go right, they're just not as funny anymore? I've tried to read it sympathetically, but whether it is O'Rourke cruising along some river in Russia ridiculing the American Marxists for asking the very kinds of questions we now, in the twenty-first century, find relevant--e.g. comparison of wages to cost of living--or Dennis Miller explaining that he's too contemptuous of the system to do anything about it, it's just not nearly as funny. I guess I just don't feel like laughing when a guy like Miller, who used to laugh at evil in the face of absurdity, now cowers before an angry but impotent terrorist enemy.

• Miller, Dennis, and Rebecca Winters. "10 Questions for Dennis Miller." Time, December 14, 2003. See http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101031222-561278,00.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nico Banned Banned

But Tiassa, don't you see...in America action is the only way. To combat terrorism they think you need to kill and disable countless innocents and the occasional "terrorista". I don't know what it is, but I think ppl just think that these "terrorists" are once in a lifetime thing, that their numbers are pre-determined and they aren't going to increase in number. Miller is obviously an idiot; if the moron knew anything he would know that the "Terrorists" aren't attacking the US because of Gay marriage or things like that. But I guess that's why he's a comedian.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. otheadp Banned Banned

But Tiassa, don't you see...in America action is the only way.
    nico, you innocent child, "containment" was in action for a long time.
    inaction was the official US policy.
    Beirut, Somalia, just a few examples.
    they got a bloody nose and instead of "action" as you describe it, they packed their shit and left.

now that the war on terror (that has been happening for a very long time, not just since Sept.11/02) was brought home, it is now time for action.
    containment has failed. it is not working anymore.

Yeah, this is a brain on drugs. It looks like the cocaine really has caught up with him, and that's sad.
    it's strange seeing comments like that coming from you, man.
    but anyway, Miller is at times a little too right-wing, but most of the time he's right. and yes, he's funny

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

You'll notice that most people are to the right of you, tiassa. Being right of you should be no less damning than you being left of most everyone else.
    And, as I recall, you're just a guy who stays at home all day and hangs out on message boards.

At least he is a professional at something, and pays taxes to support you.

8. nico Banned Banned

Run from an ignoramus surely:

Can you please explain to me the following?

i) What does Lebanon have to do with Dennis Miller's comments?
    ii) Why is Lebanon even a issue?
    iii) Why should I waste my time addressing irrelevancy?
    iv) Why are you addressing this question to me, when the sole poster who addressed Lebanon was oth?

Why?

I’ll tell u why...simple you are nothing more then a vindictive cancerous mole of a human being, who has nothing better to do but waste forum space, and spam. I will quote shrubby pegasus because this is the second time you have referred to COMPLETE irrelevancies in a thread:

Good Luck.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2003
  9. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

If Dennis Miller wasn't a threat to this community's collective (We are Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile!) self-esteem, you would not feel the need to either comment on him nor villify him.

Sun Tzu was quite right about respect.

10. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

So Dennis Miller is no longer a comedic genius because he's not liberal anymore?

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

What's up with the paranoia, people?

A Few General Notes

(1) " . . . it's strange seeing comments like that coming from you, man . . . "

Cocaine ruins a good mind. And you don't have to take my word for it. Ask any rock musician.

(2) "You'll notice that most people are to the right of you, tiassa. Being right of you should be no less damning than you being left of most everyone else."

In and of itself, no. But when Miller, given a set up opportunity to explain his politics, resorts to that degree of presumption, it's a bogus justification.

(3) "At least he is a professional at something, and pays taxes to support you."

A better mind, G, would not be so obsessed with me as an individual.

(4) "I wish I had the patience to keep up with your inane drivel for the next ten years."

An interesting position, 15ofthe19; not only is it based in spite, but what of the 18 or so years spent watching Miller. Miller knows he's moving right. Besides, if making appearances on Fox just to sling mud at Nancy Pelosi's appearance isn't a move to the right for a guy like Miller, who used to put some effort into his humor, well, I don't know what to tell you.

Sadly, it may have little to do with politics. I saw him in Seattle a bit over a year a go. I, personally, thought he was "still" funny, but the biggest laugh of the night came from a rectal-masturbation joke involving Muslim heaven. It may simply be that he's running with the pack because it's all he's got left.

(5) "If Dennis Miller wasn't a threat to this community's collective . . . ."

I'm curious, G, if it has occurred to you that just once, those of us who watch someone we respect make such a dramatic shift in their manifest paradigm, people would like a coherent explanation. It is no more incumbent on Mr. Miller than it is on anyone else, but think about it: I respect Dennis Miller. I'd like to know what happened. If someone that I can respect can make the less-respectable respectable, then everybody wins.

Why go with the paranoia?

It's a bit like O'Rourke's Age and Guile, in which the esteemed writer presents essays from the past which allege to show his development as a writer and as a person. But it's not real coherent, just a bunch of ripping on one or another perspective for its stupidity; lacking in his more focused considerations is the libertarian or even liberated mind of "How to Drive Fast on Drugs While Getting Your Wing-Wang Squeezed and Not Spill Your Drink," and even the redeeming humor of Modern Manners: An Etiquette Book for Rude People. If watching his leftist comrades during his youth beat police officers is enough to make him reject all liberalism, one wonders how he views the sins of the rightist ideas he came to advocate through the years.

A bit of an honest comparison didn't seem too much to ask, but apparently it was.

Don't get me wrong - both Miller and O'Rourke are still funny, each in their own way. But if you're looking for any profound perspective, it's not there the way it used to be.

That's the tragedy. If Miller could make clear why he's made that trade, who knows ... some of us might agree that he has a point.

He still commands a certain amount of respect. Whether or not he speaks himself clearly before that quantity evaporates is his own choice.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2003
  12. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

The truly sad thing about the whole situation is that, in visiting the link, we further ensure that the fool gets to keep his job.

Let's look at some of his comments:

Your politics have drifted right in recent years. How come? I'm left on a lot of things.
    Miller: ..."Well, we're not going to protect you, and we want some more money."

Who the fuck said that? Your imaginary friend after you both got high snorting coke?

Who in politics inspires you
    Miller: George Bush. He's been dealt an amazingly heavy hand of cards here, and I think he's doing his best ... Bush had the balls to start something that's not gonna be finished in his lifetime. The liquidation of terrorism is not gonna happen for a long time. But to take the first step? Ballsy.
    Obviously, this guy is an absolute nitwit. Any American president in any century would have attacked someone, a nation, to display force-- immediate retaliation for a direct attack; that nation would have been Afghanistan.

Now, on the "liquidation of terrorism" by practically doing the very same things that spurn terrorism in the first place, I am convinced he is a crackhead.

Explain how the war in Iraq makes sense to you as a response to 9/11.
    Miller: Like there's no chance that the secular state of Iraq and Islamic fundamentalists cohabitate? They both think we're Satan. How about that as a nice point of departure for them car-pooling? I wish there was a country called al-Qaedia that we could have invaded, but there wasn't. (Saddam was) the only one who had a home address.

How about Iran, Pakistan, France, Germany, etc. ha.

So hed, why did you blow up Miller's comedy show?

HED: Like there's no chance that a comedian speaking to thousands of ignorant morons can get away with spewing illogical stupidity? They are all morons. How about that as a nice point of departure for them car-pooling? I wish I could get the fool in a dark alley and pummel him unconscious, but as I couldn't, Idecided to rid the world of more than one moron.

13. Don Hakman Registered Senior Member

Don't assume Dennis Miller has convictions.

He was an entertainer on SNL.

He kept doing his leftist shtick humor until he was denigrated by good ol boys for doing "intelligensia" Monday night football.

As the country's media moved right so did Dennis just to keep working.

Sorry Dennis, you always will go where the wind blows.

...and so does your current humor.

He is in a tough spot. The good ol boys will never really trust him and lefties feel he betrayed them.

It looks like he is back to doing college campus tours.

14. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

Disagree

I think he's had elements of both sides of the political spectrum in his act for years. If you watched any of his show on HBO in the years before his stint at MNF, his rants tended to be more centered around making fun of idealogues who ignored the obvious. His book from that period is the same. I think he's the consumate opportunist. I would look for his material to move back to the left after Bush wins re-election next year just to counter all of the conservatives screaming "I told you so".

15. jps Valued Senior Member

This community could use some rational conservative voices, we're running rather low on them here.
    If this "community" was made up of people who all thought the same way it would not longer be interesting.

I've never heard him say anything funny. not once.
    Its hard for me to believe that he was ever a comedic genius, but I suppose its possible he was before my time.

16. Don Hakman Registered Senior Member

It depends who you ask

If you ask the French its Jerry Lewis.

17. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

They actually arrest their terrorists.

18. gregoftheweb Registered Member

I'll be a rational conservative voice, although on many issues I am liberal (separation of church and state, gun control, abortion).

I just think with the two most important issues (economy, foriegn policy) the current administration is doing as good a job as possible and any deviation now would be ruinous.

Regarding Dennis Miller, it is interesting in this world FILLED to the brim with far left leaning actors espousing their views, one actor who espouses his right leaning views gets blasted.

Very telling about the openess of "liberal" thinking people.

"Yeah, this is a brain on drugs. It looks like the cocaine really has caught up with him, and that's sad. I mean, he's always had a Libertarian bent about him, but this is just getting sad."

I'll tell you the people I respect in the world the most, my father and my father-in-law hold conservative viewpoints on the world. And if you were to disparage their opinions in a like manner it would make me angry. They are also about the smartest men I know (a nuclear engineer and a aeronautical engineer).

19. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

GotW: Welcome to Sciforums, we'll get along better without your dishonesty

Gregoftheweb
    I find your take narrow, spiteful, and downright bigoted.

What is it about you alleged "rational" conservatives that communication is an impossibility with you? What is it about superstition and presumptuous bullshit that is so much more attractive to you than substance or reality?

Why is it that the conservative voice looks so strongly for the worst in people?

What's the matter, Gregoftheweb, did you, in your rationality, forget to read the posts in this topic?

Your response is a lie, Greg. It indicates that you either have not read or have chosen to ignore my post, "What's up with the paranoia, people?"

If you're going to make irresponsible posts like you have, Gregoftheweb, well, I would simply say, Don't, it makes you look absolutely frigging stupid.

But that's your own choice, and about on par with the rationalism of conservatism around here.
    Tell me, Gregoftheweb, do your conservative heroes do cocaine? Lots of it?

Take a look at that old SNL crew: Miller, Carvey, Brown, and Franken. I have my suspicions about Franken, but Miller and Brown's cocaine use is evident, Carvey's may have contributed to his bypass, though he doesn't talk about that aspect of it, and if you have any doubt that Miller used or uses cocaine, you haven't really watched him on television. He did an appearance on Real Time in which he was incoherent,

There is a price that comes with drug use. If Miller's decline is tied to cocaine use, it would make more sense than the idea that he's just rolled over and given up.

So tell me, Gregoftheweb, how expensive is your Daddy's coke habit?

I mean, I couldn't actually "disparage his opinion" by talking about his cocaine use unless he's known to have done a lot of it over time.

Seven posts? Welcome to Sciforums, Gregoftheweb, but if you're going to misrepresent my posts or anyone else's in such a juvenile manner, please be prepared for the response.

I look forward to your response.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2003
  20. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

Mudslinging T?

So just to be clear here: You just insulted a new poster by purposely antagonized him about his reference to his father by suggesting that because his father is conservative he must also be doing cocaine. Wow. That's showing some real maturity.

Why don't you just go ahead and take your shirt off T and ask him to step outside. I guess your one of those telephone-tough guy types. Anybody can be an uncivilized ass behind a keyboard, just ask nico. But you are generally capable of keeping your shirt on when disagreeing with someone...generally.

I'm thinking the paranoia may be on your end of the modem T.

What is this obsession with comedians that do, or have done cocaine? How is that relevant to someones politics? You said yourself Miller has always had some Libertarian bent to his wit. Why should it surprise you that as he gets older, and has a family to care for that he wouldn't drift to the right. Most people do.

Awaiting what I am sure will be a vicious response full of reasons why I am just an idiot and you should be at the right hand of Da Vinci. That seems to be trendy on this forum.

21. P. M. Thorne Registered Senior Member

Time to be boring.........

>>>>>This is for Gregoftheweb & "15 of the 19" >>>>>>>>>>

Honestly, you guys have some really clever tags. In fact, many of you are clever. Sincerity is nice too.

I thought D. Miller was funny when he was blasting anyone and everyone that did not want to give away the farm. Yet, I always wondered why someone so quick witted and funny could be so tunnel visioned and unreasonable. Why he switched, I have no idea, but it puzzles me even more why so many are so excited about it. If you think he is so bad, then why do you give a rip? Is he insincere now? Well, was he ever? And, why would be care? He is not running for anything.

How about Chris Rock? Anyone want to rip him apart?

Surely, you are basically intelligent, and have had a lot of book-learning, and street learning, (I can tell by the vocabularies). Moreover, you probably know more than I do about a lot of things, and if not, those of you with such high regard for your bias probably will not notice.

In any event, you will not be using words I have not heard before, (unless you use words with more than four letters). My mother could have probably turned any of your cheeks pink. She knew all the words, but I loved her anyway. She was her own person, and swore like a sailor.

I like people that think for themselves, but in order to do so, one must think. Right?

Although I have strong political views, I try to express them without being offensive or rude. My initial comments -above- are more than I would usually say. As for being insulted, if I want to watch people being insulted all I need to do is to listen to Senate debates on C-Span, or to some of the guests on shows like Chris Matthews'.

Far right Republicans seem stuffy to me, and far left Democrats seem hysterical. You know what I mean by far right and far left, do you not? The far rights are extremists and the far lefts are activists. I could add to this a long list of suppositions or smart remarks from both sides. The main thing that bothers me about the far left is that they are so negative, but that is my take. Obviously, some think they are heros.

Some of my Republican friends send me email about prayer in school. I do not care one iota about prayer in school. Why? Because to me it is ridiculous to say that someone cannot pray in school or anywhere else. I would bet that on test day there is much praying! If folks were less inclined to have everything they do be noticed, that may not be such an issue. The Christians want to convert every one, and the Muslims want to wear vails and be on the floor. I do not care, but I am just saying that things are more complicated these days and I agree not to have formal praying in school, but in our hearts, no one can stop us. My opinion! I do disagree with saluting the flag, or having the flags in class rooms. We are America. To salute or not to salute is and well should be, individual choice, but it should be an option, and that is my opinion, but I see no need to become hateful about it.

I like the truth. You should like the truth. If you do not like someone, have a reason. "He is an idiot" is not a reason. "He is a warmongering crackhead" is not sensible. I have a friend that calls the President "Chicken Lips." I like chickens, and yet I was totally unaware that they had lips.

Learn to say what you mean and mean what you say, because life is not always funny. When it is not, then that is the time to be silly and zaney. What is going on right now is our world, our nation, our safety. I am not entirely sure about a lot of things, but everything wrong in our nation is not our President's doings. You know this, so why act as though you have no clue as to reality? Once, in a Reader's Digest, years ago in a doctor's office, I read a statement, which I will share. Someone wrote that, (at that time), only one person in a million really understood international politics. Then he said, "Isn't it funny how you keep running into him?"

Well, just thought I would drop in and admit that, even though I have been a Republican for yearsI do not know every thing!

PMT

22. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Next time just piss on my cat, 15ofthe19 - it will save you the effort of typing

15ofthe19
    I demand that you demonstrate that.

I will not stand for such scurrilous and unfounded lies.

Demonstrate it now, or else apologize!
    Why don't you learn to read? Your other option would be to support your accusation, 15ofthe19, and I know for a fact that you cannot do that.

You are way out of line, 15ofthe19.
    Why would I ask Nico, when I have you to make the point so clearly, 15ofthe19?
    I'm thinking the problem is your own difficulty with a little concept called literacy.

I'm rather quite upset by the absolutely absurd and hostile accusations which you cannot support. The only excuse I can conceive of short of outright stupid arrogance on your part is if you need to brush up your reading skills.

This is why I would like you to demonstrate your accusation, and why I am so furious at your asinine bravado.
    Why don't we take a look at what I've already written?

Oh, I know why ... you didn't get it the first time.

But, just because you've tweaked that nerve, I'm going to make myself absolutely clear:

Yeah, this is a brain on drugs. It looks like the cocaine really has caught up with him, and that's sad. I mean, he's always had a Libertarian bent about him, but this is just getting sad.

Look, Dennis Miller has not been, by any means, a leftist. He has always been an ardent supporter of greed and the liberty to spend what you earn, beg, borrow, or steal. But he used to ridicule the policies that got us into this mess. And some of us who laughed back then and thought we understood the actual bits and pieces of information that composed the relevant portions of the joke now wonder at the fact that now that we're in this mess, he's all gung-ho for the same kind of crap that he used to ridicule that got us here to begin with. It's a very curious shift, but obviously it makes some sense to him.

I wish he would genuinely share it with us.

... why is it that when funny people go right, they're just not as funny anymore?

Let's think about this from a different perspective. Liberals are often thought of as intellectual elitists, right? They appeal to lofty and seemingly unattainable ideals, and that's what makes them annoying in the moralistic sense.

Are you at all familiar with this stereotype?

The reason I ask is that the counterpoint, the flip-side, is that conservatives generally rely in some way on old superstitions. We can easily debate the superstitions of the Left, I agree. But look at where the really annoying parts of conservatism come in--that faction that takes the fight against the counterdiscriminatory Affirmative Action all the way back to downright racism and brings the charges of narrowminded bigotry to the right, for instance. The "Christian Right" bears much influence, all based on a godforsaken superstition. Listen to the divisive and belligerent "neoconservative" rhetoric that makes more realistic conservatives cringe at the fact that for once they are in agreement with both Pat Buchanan and the bloody Marxists.

It's reflected in the humor. I'm going to have to pull up some textual examples, it seems. In the meantime, please notice the odd fact that it's people who have been paying attention to the likes of Dennis Miller and P.J. O'Rourke who wonder at their own chosen explanations for themselves.

But please understand, there is a difference between commenting on the interesting homeless situation we've "cultivated" in Seattle, rectal-digital anti-Islamic exploitation jokes, and going on FOX News to offer the political commentary that Nancy Pelosi is ugly and stupid.

It was the FOX News bit that tipped off some of us. Up until that point, we were trying to leave it be; it's his business after all.

And to that, I reiterate that he chose to address the issue in column space given by Time magazine, and he chose to address it poorly.

Really, he's not funny anymore. At first I took it with the same sympathy I took his long-distance commercials.

In terms of cocaine, well ... there's no question that cigarettes hurt you. There's no question that cocaine hurts you.

As I noted before:

Cocaine ruins a good mind. And you don't have to take my word for it. Ask any rock musician.

Seriously ... I didn't realize coke was that hard to figure out. Of course, I still don't see why people blow their lives on it.
    Well, take the note: If you ever want to see me in a vicious mood, make unsupportable accusations at the outset.
    So does selective illiteracy. Get your sh@t together, 15ofthe19.

If you ever want to get me to "step outside," you've found the quickest route: Tap me on the shoulder and tell me lies about myself to my face.

You owe me a very sincere apology, 15ofthe19.

And if you absolutely need to imagine me bare-chested ... well, I guess I'm honored. But it's not particularly impressive. Really. I promise.

23. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

Apologize for what T?

You leveled the broadside and I called you on it. What else is there to discuss? It was a tacky and tasteless thing to imply about someone's father.

Is that not what you did? Maybe if your posts weren't so needlessly nebulous it would be easier to understand just exactly what in the hell it really is you are trying to say.

If a post on a message board makes you furious, you should probably get out more often. You're faux anger at another poster on a forum reinforces the hysterical stereotype that Thorne was referring to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.