Dennis Miller on Politics

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Tiassa, Dec 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

T: You are a ghost standing on a ship that sunk on page 1.

/You make an interesting case, but in your quest for petty revenge you've overlooked something.

Petty revenge eh? Is that factual reality T?

/Fact: I have been accused of an insult by 15ofthe19
    /Fact: Neither the accuser nor the alleged offended have supported that accusation
    /Fact: I have answered those who have attempted to document the problem successfully
    /Fact: The cocaine questions were pertinent and relevant

Note that my complaint with you in this thread didn't have anything to do with 15ofthe19, it was greggoftheweb as I clearly stated in that PM.

/Aside from that, Wes, among the problems is your fixation on revenge.

I suppose this is a matter of fact right? Since you say I'm fixated on revenge, right, that makes in a matter of factual reality. I'll attempt to conform to what you think reality is. Wait I can't see inside that thick skull of yours. You got some kind of plug-in somewhere or what's the deal here? How exactly am I supposed to conform to your opinion if I can't read your mind?

/Maybe next time you'll wait until you have the facts on your side. You're right.

Which facts? Your opinion of what happened? I mean, that's your factual reality right? Nobody else's matters right? I mean if it did then it wouldn't be factual reality, but just your opinion eh?

/So starting now, I'm offering free reading and writing lessons to Sciforums users.

You don't even see your condescension?

/I find it odd that people would use things I've said for a long time against me. Like your citation from BBH's post.

So if you forget it, behave like a child in your lapse.. it's okay if you do it because you said it before? You think "I'm against you"? You think I want revenge? What a paranoid bunch of 'facts' you have to deal with. I'm glad I'm not stuck with them. Oh, well I wouldn't be if I didn't try to illustrate a point with you - but since I did now I'm supposed to be held accountable for your version of "reality"? As if you're qualified?

/I've said for a long time that communication problems lie with the broadcaster.

Okay. Does that make it factual that you can't be the problem?

/Unfortunately, that issue was proven somewhat wrong in this topic.

No see T that is the problem, YOU think it was - and take it for a matter of fact.

/The broadcaster can do nothing to help if the receivers refuse the signal.

What if the broadcaster fails (either refuses or simply can't see it for whatever reason) to see that his signal is all jacked up?

/It's an interesting concept that shapes communication. I'm not sure I can escape conflict if someone, like you or 115ofthe19, is determined to seek it.

LIAR. You didn't attempt to avert it, you embraced it. Re-read my first post. Consider it might have been sincere, even if somewhat flawed, did you attempt to clarify yourself or simply attack the character of the messenger?

/Get off your high horse, Wes.

Boy now that is RICH brother, coming from you.

/Get off your quest for revenge.

You see to me T, it's a matter of fact that revenge is basically a meaningless concept for me. Does your paranoia and doubt of my intellect and character require that you think I'm lying T? Can you see this? CAN YOU SEE THIS? Listen to yourself man.

/Stop waving your battered flag and read some Huxley in the context of Kosovo and Ireland.

Why should I take a reading assignment from you? I mean, seriously T with my lack of character and intellect, stupidity and childish namecalling, do you think it would do me any good? Yet you ask it of me, a man you think of as a:

Liar
    revenge seeker
    low intellect
    lack of depth

Just off the top of my head... can you see how your suggestion might seem a little uhm... you know, insincere? Call me crazy if you'd like. It is wrong of me to attempt to contradict factual reality. I am such a bitch. What a cocksucking dickweed piece of shit son of a whore I am for suggesting such a thing!!!!

*flogs self*

/Yeah, Wes, keep telling me to fuck off.

Since you asked nicely: Fuck off.

/Keep calling me an asshole.

Okay: Asshole.

/Keep telling me I'm not your fucking father and calling me dickweed.

Fine: You're not my fucking father dickweed. No really, you're not. You keep acting like everyone else's damned father. Ah, I now dub thee "The Condescendinator". LOL.

Oh and hey did you notice in my prior three posts I didn't do that at all?

/You think you figured out my problem, Wes?

Part of it, yes. It's factual reality you know. (What's funny to me is that what I just called factual reality is likely actually factual reality whereas what you called factual reality is obviously just your unyeilding take on what was said). Maybe you're just misunderstood eh? Oh wait.. oh shit man if you look close you might see something there... you are... wait you were... yes, you were misunderstood and ... then what? Can you see what happened? I want to see if you can figure it out. I mean, you're so much more intellectual and all, I figure you're way WAY ahead of me right?

/Given your record in this topic, I sincerely doubt your capability or integrity on that count.

LOL. Add that to the list above. I don't have any integrity either.

/Stop trying so hard, and you'll find life is much more pleasant.

LOL. On what basis do you think my life could be more pleasant T? Project much?

You are wrong here T. I'm sure you'll find a way to convince yourself it's everyone but you... but I don't hold that to be anything factual. It's just my opinion.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2003
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Christians, oh my.

Wow, comparing your current situation to the mass delusion that is Christianity. Hmm, me thinks you've taken one to many bong hits. Christians don't have any evidence of their God, bucko; but we have evidence of your insult.

Your insult was not directed at 15ofthe19, it was directed at GregoftheWeb. You called his Dad a coked up republican "in a like manor".

Tiassa, seriously. Your current stance on this situation is somewhat, retarded. You can see the evidence on page four of this thread. I have posted it, and reposted it again and again. So really, keep deigning the truth and the evidence.

And really Tiassa, you are one to talk about a high horses.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

I wonder if you know I can see (and it takes a stretch) how you didn't mean to insult anyone T. That's not really what this about though is it? It's really about the fact that you refuse (even my 3 year old is less stubborn) to admit that it was YOUR responsibility to try to clear up what you said. You blame everyone else for taking it wrong. You spend THOUSANDS OF WORDS tryign to defend yourself, when you could have just been goddamn NICE and said "dude, not what I mean, my bad, you see I'm trying to explain something to you but it backfired, what I really mean is". You see, that's it: you seeeeeeeeeem like a dick and then you REALLY ARE ONE when you're confronted with how you seem. Do you see how you contradict what you just said I used against you but it was something YOU SAY?

Man, impossible. You know what, I didn't choose my words very carefully in the opening post (as I admitted in the opening post: "You know what's jacked up is that I have a hard time even voicing my opinion about this, as I can see it as a springboard to Tiassa exploding again"). I did exactly the same thing YOU did. Poor choice of words. You held me accountable for them eh? You typed how many words in reponse to something I'd already implied was worded hastily (as I really dreaded the task)? Why then T, are YOU not accountable for your choice of words? EH?

Bah, humbug.

Oh, and merry Christmas and stuff.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

punk.

heheh.

oh relax damnit.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

Wes

I think I want to stay on your good side.

You have been able to say what I was struggling to say about this whole ridiculous thread. I'm guessing you've been around here quite a bit longer than I, and you seem to have some history with T, so I will ask you (and anyone else who cares to weigh in) a question: Does T purposefully pretend to be dense in order to spark arguments, or is he truly incapable of explaining himself when his posts are found to be offensive, or even just simply misunderstood because of their wording? It seems to me that the classy thing to do would have been to simply say "Ok, bad example regarding your dad and cocaine, let me explain what I meant". JMHO that a simple clarification was in order to explain what I think was evidently an intentional effort at being obtuse.

See, this is what baffles me. In my life I come into contact with all sorts of people on a daily basis and by the nature of what I do for a living I have to spend quite a bit of time communicating with them about what exactly it is that they want to acheive. In doing this I rarely if ever have difficulty explaining myself or understanding what they want, so suffice to say, I have good communication skills.

In this case it's as if we're into the Bizarro world. I say "Hey T, it seems to me that you're kind of cracking on this guy." He says "How dare you attack me!" I say "Sorry T, just thought I would point out one way what you said could be construed, that's all." He says "Stop attacking me!!! Stop throwing a temper tantrum!!!! How dare you harass me!! Apologize now!"

Something like that anyway. It just makes my head spin to read back through it. And the funniest part is that I have really tried to be civil about this because it really doesn't merit a lot of emotion, at least not for me. What's strangely absent from all of this is any other poster confirming T's paranoid rantings. Funny, it's all quiet. No one is swooping in to rescue T from his meltdown. Wonder why that is?

They say if you smoke the chronic long enough you start getting paranoid.

Hey Wes, you have a beautiful family there man. Lucky man indeed. I don't have any children yet. So I borrow my sisters from time to time. Lucy is 7; Emmy is 5. I'll be heading out for home tomorrow and get to spend lots of time with them. They make Christmas worth getting excited for around our house.

8. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

My family gatherings to a T.

Finally. We agree on something.

9. P. M. Thorne Registered Senior Member

Responding to your last posting to me...

.............for TIASSA:

I have, seen our last exchange, given much thought to your anger, and even more to your frustration. Today, I read the recent postings on this thread; after this, I went back to check something and found that there were several more postings, just in that short period.

What I see in those postings that seem to aggravate you so much, surprised me a bit. There certainly appears to be a rather basic interest in you and your postings. So, why am I here? I have to wonder, but I would not think of leaving your message to me unanswered. I am a straight talker, for the most part, and do not enjoy “trashy talk” as Wes so aptly puts it. Some of it is amusing, but it is not really my style. So, at least I might contribute something a bit different. What say?

This first: When I called you “smarty pants,” it was not intended to be insulting, but just to bring to your attention that you were talking down to me. My family used that expression always in a light-heartened way, and sometimes I forget that not everyone is my family. I apologize if you found it insulting, and can fully understand if you did not find it humorous.

REC'D…………………from you:
    quote:

PROTEST/INSULT #2 “If you're going to make irresponsible posts like you have, Gregoftheweb, well, I would simply say, Don't, it makes you look absolutely frigging stupid.”

And what, specifically, is problematic in this? It's true. If Gregoftheweb, or any other poster, chooses to adopt as a tactic general apathy toward what is written in a topic in order to invoke broadly-applied, narrowly-conceived misrepresentations, should we kneel down in awe of such stunning intellectual prowess?

RESPONSE: I swear to you, I found nothing particularly apathetic about his posting. Moreover, I found nothing "misrepresenting" about his posting; or even remarkable. It seemed a soft approach, from someone who might be more sensitive than some. Perhaps such an approach reminds you of those “Christians” to which you referred. (I am probably a ways out in left-field here, (or should I say “Right” field?)

YOU: And what is so insulting about telling someone their behavior makes them look stupid? Perhaps there is an issue of tone, but I said from the outset that I found Gregoftheweb's post narrow, spiteful, and downright bigoted.

RESPONSE: There was no love in your criticism, or any room for coming together. It was an attack, my friend. You cannot be that naïve! It was an attack, and you know it!

YOU: Did you happen to read my discussion with 15ofthe19? I mean, all of it? Perhaps you would care to address the occasion on which I previously addressed these very points

RESPONSE: Of course, I read it. I read it more than once, every word of it. (and) Nah, I would not care to…..
    …………..

YOU: And then I asked Gregoftheweb how much his father's cocaine habit cost. There are a number of possible answers here:

• He doesn't do cocaine; there is no cost.
    • He does cocaine, but it's not problematic or a tall monthly tab.
    • He does cocaine, and both the car and the HDTV disappeared last month.

Hell, I figured demanding an apology was a lot better course of action than some of my alternative responses.

RESPONSE: I scarcely know how to respond to this. Let me try this, you seem quite taken with cocaine, whereas many people, believe it or not, consider “coc” something “out there,” that is just plain bad, and know only what they hear, and who do not mention it often. So, to be fair, I will consider that you think little of pulling, out of the air, one's possible use of it, and getting in someone’s face about it, while meaning no harm. Yet, while considering this, surely you will be kind enough to give some thought to the fact that you, might have given the impression that you have little regard for those who do not think or speak as you do. If this is not true, then perhaps you are playing a game with us. (You truly do not seem the type, however.)

I see no need to follow your instructions, because frankly, --who said what-- is not the problem here. You know what the problem is? I think only you do know, so why should I write put words together that could -at least, most likely- confuse the issue even further?
    ……………………….

YOU: But let me know what's unclear.

ME: I did not write to you to become involved in your argument with your cyber friends. I wrote to you about your
    “climbing-the-wall” frustrations. Remember? NEVER did I try, nor did I intend to try to analyze what was upsetting you. What upset you was not my concern, but the fact that you seemed beside yourself, did concern me, so much so, that I thought about it (off and on) for two or three days before I wrote to you. This, of course, does not mean that I am not interested in what you have to say. Even so, there is no way that I am going to address the other posters about this, unless they should happen to address me. Okie dokie?
    …………………….

YOU: G has a long history of pursuing me and not the topic. I can't remember the last time we had a discussion that had a point. He's one of a number of posters who, for some reason, will enter topics on regular occasions specifically to undertake a rather quite ridiculous issue with me. It's ... kind of creepy.

…………………….

RESPONSE: That would be creepy. I was unaware that you knew him before. As I recall, -in that infamous posting- you welcomed him. So, why would you welcome him if you already knew who he was? Never mind. I am fairly new on Sciforums.

But, perhaps this is part of the reason you see his comments as mean and disrespectful; that is, if you have had trouble with him before. Just out of curiosity, are you sure that he is the “one” with the “long history of “pursuing you rather than the topic.”

I do not get it, but who cares, so long as you are sure; otherwise, you could be misjudging the man. Just a possibility, -or not???
    ……..…………………….

YOU: And while a certain deal of anger does flow through my life, let me assure you that your worry is unnecessary. I be irie, mon.

RESPONSE: Nice to see a lighter side of your personality, mon.
    …………………………….

YOU: A longstanding difficulty in my life is a repeating conflict of interests. For me, it actually started with "offensive" Christians and music and speech issues.
    …………………………

RESPONSE: Not sure I got all of that, but you might put the quotes on the word “Christians” rather than offensive, because many that truly intend to follow Christ, as I see it, do not even come close . I really hate to say that, but I think people show their true beliefs in spite of themselves. I make a sincere effort to follow Christ’s teachings, (flawed, nonetheless), but I see his teachings differently than many Christians. Having been a somewhat rebellious, mouthy individual, who at one time took great pride in my quick wit and ability to out-do those who dared challenge me, I finally caught on, and just happened to notice that I was slighting something precious. I then worked toward correcting the neglect to myself, but the universe somehow knows when a soul is searching, and finds a way to get a message to us. An enlightening message that I was open enough to receive, came to me, and I still marvel at how it happened, because I am a very practical person, not given to revelations of that sort. It came from a most unlikely source, and changed my life.

Perhaps this “sharing” is not the thing to do, nor had I any thought of doing it, even when I sat here creating this response. That happened to me after another very real experience having to do with anger. It hit like a ton of brick, and I will pass it on to you now: Do to not allow those who distress you, to be your excuse for failure.

My favorite reason for forgiving is this: “They know not what they do.”

Just make sure that you know what you are doing, and your joy will be noticeable, especially to you. Yes, it will. I promise!

It is with love that I write this. I seldom see the inside of a church, and I have no agenda for changing the way people believe, I am talking about having the peace that is here now, that is all. Therefore, though I lack perfection, I trust that you will accept it in the same spirit that it is given.

…………………………

YOU: If we pause to think that those of us watching Miller's transition must remember to not give it too much thought--we don't actually know the man, after all--Miller's concern for other people saying things that he's said worse than really does seem rather quite ... odd.
    ……………………

RESPONSE: I suppose, for those of you who are “watching.” He has rendered some statements that were shockingly unfeeling, but there was always something about his wit that I appreciated. I found it rather sad that someone so sharp would use this talent and intellect to ridicule.

This will not please you, but I was glad to hear him whistle a different tune. I know—within reason—that he did drugs; so many in the entertainment world do. I never have, for whatever reason, but I do not allow it to excuse behavior, at least not in my mind. Tis would be something like blaming Mc Donald’s for becoming round and plump.
    ……………………..

YOU: I only raise this paragraph here because I've been arguing with all the rest. Part of what you're seeing is just the way it's gotten to be around here, and part of it is indeed the individuals, myself included.

RESPONSE: Well, here is one who cares not to join in any frenzy. Not that I think I am too good; I am simply too busy, and it is not my thing.

Some may poo poo what I say, but this attempt to keep on track, to learn, to exchange ideas on philosophy, or whatever, is a good exercise for me, because I do not have many friends who care as much for non-fiction as I do. Also, I do not have friends that talk the way folks write on this medium, and certainly not like what I read on this particular thread. In addition, I read no books that have such a way of putting things. (A square? I know things! Perhaps even a prude? I swear sometimes! There are even a few, I am sure, who doubt that I will ever make Heaven. Now, is that not a co inky dinky?

In spite of this, I think I am happier than most, and possibly more content with my lot in life, and I do believe in the power of God, and he is my source for strength and understanding. But, I digress……….

…………………..
    YOU: One card that I'm playing close to the vest is that I know when I'm posting from a position that includes nicotine withdrawal. I've found over time that most people can't pick that out.

RESPONSE: That is not an easy thing from which to withdraw. My sympathy.
    ………………………..

YOU: Do you think that I care for a moment whether or not it will fly with PM Thorne?

RESPONSE: Of course not. Why would you? Hang onto that thought for a minute, while I tell you that I laughed and laughed at your response. It is so honest. I like “real," and that surely came across to me as right from your most sincere source. Now! While we are being so honest, and please give me some room here, just who do you think cares what you demand? Huh? Who cares if you demand an apology, or an explanation?
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::

..............from you.
    quote:

Listen, Hon, this it is not class time and I am not your student. I gave my examples.

You were doing so well ... too bad.

At any rate, Toots, my responses to your examples are included above.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::

RESPONSE: I WAS SERIOUS, TIASSA. Yet, what I said is not entirely true, because I am a student and a teacher of everyone, as are we all. I just meant that your constant instructions and condescending comments were beginning to annoy me. I write only out of concern for your feelings and you start telling me what to do. Huh uh. Fair enough?

Let me tell you this again, I do not like being told what to do. Now, if that is information you do not give a flying flip about, so be it. But! I was serious. Then you say that I had been “doing so well.” So well at what? This is an exchange, not a test! Come on!

“Toots,” huh? Not sure I have ever been called that before.

…………………………

YOU: Really, I ... don't know why you're upset. Something about your passions? I know, I know, we're all human, Princess.

RESPONSE: Me either. I usually mind my own business. Not sure that “upset” is the right word, but I suppose if one is bothered then at least in some sense, one is upset. Yet, you are not happy with me either, but I did express my concern, and you were good enough to listen. I appreciate that.
    …………………

YOU: I have decided to make it my habit to limit my responses to G's useless attacks to such posts.

RESPONSE: You are joking, right?
    …………………

YOU: Perhaps you might give me your analysis of G's first post in this topic.

RESPONSE: I think I have said enough about that. As I mentioned before, what he said, ...or even what you said, was not my main focus; you were, and how you seemed to be treating yourself.
    …………………………

YOU: Here, I'll give you mine: // G does not wish to discuss any issues, but rather has this odd obsession with me.
    …………………….

RESPONSE: It seems that you feel this way about more than just G. You said something similar about Wes. If this be true, perhaps all this interest is a good sign that you have a purpose far beyond all this. Getting people to pay attention can be a good thing, .....if you have a good message. You know how that saying goes: "People may forget what you say, and they may forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel."
    …………………………………..

YOU: And besides, you have to ask what G did to bother me. That specifically demonstrates a lack of qualification, Thorne. You may be well-intended, but you're blowing this one out your ass quite badly.

RESPONSE: I am not his keeper. I am concerned about what YOU do to upset you. Hold on to that thought, will you? I am just a short flash in your life, but keep that little thought in mind, if you will.
    ……………………..

YOU: And all the king's horses, and all the king's men ....

RESPONSE: Tee hee. My way of expressing what I am assuming is the same sentiment: = “Mary had a little lamb, its fleece was white as snow……… I thought I was the only one that did that.

…………………..

YOU: I did notice that you skipped that in your analysis and focused solely on the dispute, as if that dispute somehow existed in a complete vacuum.

Look, Thorne ... it is a bit frustrating. I mean . . .

RESPONSE: Bless your heart. I do not mean to disappoint you, or put you off, but I am not getting into that hornet’s nest. Please try to appreciate this.
    ………………….

YOU: I'm trying to read your words as sympathetically as possible, but the whole "cocaine insult" thing is so transparent and horseshit to me that dealing with it makes me irritable.

RESPONSE: I can tell, and thank you. I can also tell, that you were going a bit out of your way not to climb my frame, and I hope this is because you know that I would not intentionally cause you distress, nor have I called you any names, except “smarty pants.”

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

………………………..

YOU: At any rate, I'll cast you as a god so I can go with Celsus and thank you for even bothering to think of me in the first place.

RESPONSE: No need for that, but I believe that we are here for each other, and that there are no accidental meetings.

Now, I must leave you, and do the 1000 things that I had on my agenda for today, but I felt I should get this done now. And! do you give a rip what I felt? Naw!

Enjoy the holidays, and take care of yourself.

PMT

10. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

That's it to a T, Wesmorris. The whole reason I got into this was because I believe that it was Tiassa responsiblity to clear up the mess that he made. Instead he decided to act like my five year old niece.

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Notes Around

Notes Around:

I will take some time to address the larger issues later today. In the meantime, some short notes:

P.M. Thorne

We have a serious misunderstanding about who G is. I'll document it later specifically. We can clear up that confusion easily.

Wesmorris

You know I'm a long advocate of the idea that it is the broadcaster's responsibility to make the point clear, but neither 15ofthe19 or Gregoftheweb cared to fill me in on what the problem was. I can't help make the point clear unless they choose to make the problem clear.

15ofthe19

I can't respond to your falsely-founded accusations unless you care to explain what the problem is.

Counsler Coffee

Please see the above note to Wesmorris. As we saw with your first refusal to document the problem you saw, I cannot make the unclear clear unless people choose to tell me what is unclear.

12. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

A few notes

The alleged insult was my words to Gregoftheweb, but the false accusation was mounted by 15ofthe19.

Beyond that, Counsler what's your point?
    I'm not the one who used the words "in a like manner."

Again, what is your point?
    Um ... I'm on page four. I don't see what the hell you're referring to. However, the question that will resolve that issue easily is: How many posts per page are you displaying?

Or you could just point me to the post with some identifying reference, like a title or a reference to its content.
    This sentence does not make sense to me. Deign the truth and evidence to be what?
    Wes, how can I say, "Not what I mean," when all I have in front of me is a vague accusation that doesn't describe what the problem is? Furthermore, 15ofhte19 could have just been goddamn nice and said, "Dude, that sounded like an insult," instead of launching into his bit about taking off shirts and stepping into the alley.
    This from a guy who told me he offered friendship, but only on the condition that I have blind faith in his character? This from a guy who says it's not about condemnation or revenge, but opened his initial complaint in the topic with condemnation and an allusion to your bitterness over our prior discussion? Someone who wrote to me about trust, of all things, while flatly denying the explanation I offered in favor of ... what? A need for a new conflict? So much for the trust being offered in friendship, eh, Wes? How low did you think you could get? Did you really think I didn't notice the forked tongue in all of it?

If there was a credible complaint, I would conduct myself differently, Wes. But hell, since you think people ought to apologize to their accusers after being libeled, what would you like me to say? That's right, Wes. Keep calling me a dick. Keep telling me to fuck off. Keep it up until you finally think you feel better about yourself as a person.

In the meantime, your own unfounded attack against me is disgraceful, Wes. Too bad you couldn't have gone about it with a mere fraction of the decency you bawl for.
    It's not that I'm not accountable for my choice of words, but that I truly don't see the issue. Counsler made a decent attempt at explaining the issue, but nobody has explained how those words constitute an insult. Why 15ofthe19, who made the complaint, nor Gregoftheweb, who seconded it, have been unwilling to explain where they perceive the insult speaks ill of their accusation.

In the meantime, y'all have piled on with bloodthirsty abuse while continuing to fail to make your case.

However, Wes, I'm also holding the hypocrisy of your words in mind. I had an interesting discussion today with my partner. She said to me, as things progressed, something that seems quite familiar to this debate. "I knew it would upset you whether I stayed or walked away."

I paused, especialy since the concept seemed so relevant, and double-checked myself before proceeding. And then I asked her, "You mean, you knew it would upset me when you shouted, 'Fuck off'?"

She knew damn well that it wasn't a question of whether she stayed or went. It was a question of whether she was going to sit there cussing at me under her breath and refusing to assist me while my daughter was trying desperately to play with electrical devices that could hurt her, or whether she was going to loudly cuss me out as she walked down the hall.

What strikes me as common isn't just the idea that "She knew it would upset me," but also that she knew she was stating the wrong issue. If she tells someone, "He got angry because I went to bed," that sounds pretty rude, doesn't it? But if she tells someone the detail, "He was upset because I was shouting and cussing at him while I refused to either assist him in preserving my daughter's safety or stop shouting and cussing," it paints the picture quite differently, doesn't it?

It's not the idea that you perceive an insult that bugs me, Wes, but that you're part of the incoherent mob that can't seem to state what the problem is, and that you further go forth attempting to misrepresent yourself in order to carry out what seems to be a standing grudge.
    Not really, 15ofthe19. But rather, I have a serious problem with folks like you who wish to insult me and then refuse to explain the basis of your vicious attack.

As I pointed out to Wes, you could have been reasonable about it, but you weren't. And then you refused in a most cowardly fashion to explain your perception of the insult.
    Two notes:

- "Humble"? Just your humble opinion? There was nothing humble about your verbal assault, 15ofthe19.
    - A simple clarification from you about what exactly the problem was would have been of much help, apparently to many people, a while ago.

You're out of line.
    Again, two notes.

- Bizarro world? When did I wake up in the Android's Dungeon?
    - One of these days, you ought to try the approach you described. It's much more reasonable than the path you took.
    Should I believe your words or your actions? (In this case, of course, actions are words. But should I believe what you tell me about how you behave, or simply observe your behavior?)

I can almost see the predictable variant coming.
    Mostly for the entertainment value.
    Who's "they"? You're staring to sound paranoid, man.

What? Just a bit of irony.

At any rate, yes, "They" do say that, don't "They"?

A general note

It has occurred to me that it's possible that some people around here might not understand exactly how important actual cocaine use over an extended period of time is to the entirety of the topic.

So, I wanted to ask a couple of questions about cocaine:

- Are we all aware that cocaine is really bad for your brain and body?
    - It has occurred to me that in some way, the notion that Dennis Miller doesn't or hasn't used cocaine might somehow be involved in this entire ugly mess. So is there anybody who wants to throw that issue into the mix at this point?

A note for PM Thorne

If you need, I'll go look it up for you, but at one point, you directed my attention back to my first response to "G". There's a reason I was referring to Gregoftheweb in shorthand as GotW that has nothing to do with the phrase it creates: "G", to me, is our very own "Mr. G," with whom I've had a strangely acrimonious relationship despite a general lack of arguments between us that have to do with anything important. Or something like that.

The whole "G" thing puzzled me just a bit, as I expressed ... "roundaboutly" (that's not actually a word, insofar as I know.)

A general note (the sequel)

I intend to take the holiday away from the acrimony; I might spend some time in reflection on these issues. After all, it has already occurred to me, over a bowl a couple hours ago, that Wes is correct that my obligation to make the point clear still lies with me. However, it will be a while before I can go on tour in order to see you all face to face, as I have serious doubts about many of this discussion's participants' reading comprehension.

Congratulations, though. You've managed to genuinely surprise Tiassa. It doesn't happen that often anymore. I'm just as prone to the grumbling, "Stupid world," and, "People are stupid," routine as the next guy, and even some that I've criticized for it in the past.

But y'all are in the wrong holiday season. It's not April Fool's, so I can't possibly conceive that this is some mischevious spirit taken too far.

I seriously doubt some people's reading and writing skills, and some of these personas I've endured in this argument have some serious character issues to work out.

These are generally human traits.

However, I'm shocked at how low the bar has sunk.

Yeah, communication is tough with some people, but the reason I'll have to go on tour to meet all of these complainers is that I no longer have confidence in their reading skills; language and writing, in general, are imprecise, but this is a new standard in "literacy-challenged" that I'm witnessing here.

And, just because I want to be fair to those folks on that count, I've started asking a few people around me what the words, "in a like manner," mean.

I'm still quite confident of my position.

13. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

Stay confident T

The important point to remember in this discussion is that you are completely infallible. You have demonstrated beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are the only one on this forum with an actual brain in your head. I think it's pretty obvious from the support you are getting for your arguments that everyone else is just brain-dead, and you are the only poster that has any sensibility.

What I will wish for as I go to sleep on this Christmas night is a chance to gain your sense of enlightenment so that I may be able to see the world with the clarity that you exude. I imagine that it must be difficult to be so much more enlightened than your fellow man that simple day to day communications become difficult. What a great burden you bear for all of us. I commend you for you self-sacrifice. It's obvious from your own descriptions of your life that this enlightenment has led you to a place that most of us can only dream of reaching. My hope is that you will go public with your wisdom and share your tactics so that all of us can strive to attain the freedom and happiness that you seem to hold the patent on. Sleep well Sahib.

14. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

As Christmas Draws Nigh

As Christmas Draws Nigh

Please understand that the following is quite a foreign proposition to me. I'm not a Christian, and for years I've rejected Christmas as both an inappropriate religious exercise and a gross commercial exploitation.

But those who know my religious posts know that, while I criticize Christianity, I have fewer difficulties with the character of Jesus; I've even stated before that I'd love to drink with the guy.

And so, as I think upon the Christmas spirit of compassion and forgiveness, I realize that I am in serious error in this topic.

After some reflection and psychospiritual consideration, I have decided to make a formal gesture specifically in the spirit of this day, Christmas, which my computer clock tells me is now upon this time zone.

15ofthe19 . . .
    Wesmorris . . .
    Counsler Coffee . . .

. . . I forgive you.

PM Thorne, if I fail to extend this sentiment to you, please understand that I do not hold you in offense. While I might disagree with your perspective on some important points of this discussion, I appreciate what I perceive as your sincerity.

Gregoftheweb, while I feel you are in error in perceiving the insult according to 15ofthe19's accusation, I was also satisfied with the intensity of my response at the time, and had in fact dismissed my sentiments as having been fulfilled. If I hold you in offense, it is only in the theory and form of the discussion. Having taken my swipes, forgiving you would be both pompous and a betrayal of my own sentiments.

But do have peace on this day.

15. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

I accept your apology, Tiassa.

Merry Christmas.

16. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Can you forgive me too, Tiassa?

I've been naughty. Santa brought me nothing for christmas..

17. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

In the name of compassion

Counsler Coffee

I want to help. Really I do. Click Here.

Peace be with you on this night.

Xerxes

As I mentioned before, this Christmastime forgiveness thing is a bit odd to me. To presume the authority to judge and forgive as a formal practice is something I generally don't do. (Informally, of course, is a different issue, as this or many other topics might show.)

Nonetheless, I shall assume my most papal tone, and remind you that all is forgiven. Let the stars sing hosannas to the cleanliness of your soul.

18. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

19. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

It's okay, I know what I have to do.

Tiassa, in the name of compassion:

I forgive you for being arrogant and self-righteous. Merry Christmas.

20. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Wow, thank you

Thank you, Counsler Coffee. I've never been forgiven for someone else's opinions or actions before.

It's a new experience for me. I'll try to make the best of it.

21. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Another new experience that you might want to try is very popular in Germany right now. You take a boot and shove it up... Well, we're mods. We shouldn't act in such ways.

Good day to you, sir.

22. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Malfunction Junction

T.

So, is it your intent to be obviously contradictory?

If so, would you provide your reasoning for it?

23. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Be more specific

Be more specific, Wes. I'm not clairvoyant, and I refuse to think for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.