Comic book: A new low for American politics?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tiassa, Jul 19, 2008.

?

Regardless of whether we agree with the content ...

Poll closed Sep 1, 2008.
  1. ... this is a great idea, to use comic books to appeal to voters!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ... it is a bit scary to think that voters need comic books to help them decide.

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. ... it seems an unnecessary risk of insulting voters' intelligence.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ... um ... can I go with "Other"?

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

It is one of those curious nexes of thought, emotion, and reaction; try this proposition on for size:

American politics have achieved a new low.​

So what? you might ask. Indeed, American politics have been in steady decline. Depending on who you ask, that slide might have started with the Bush administration, the right-wing response to the Clinton administration, the New Deal, Grover Cleveland, the Civil War, or even the American Revolution itself. Almost any way you cut it, the American political culture regularly sets new lows.

So big deal, right?

Okay, okay, how about this?

It's a local race from the American heartland.

Yawn, right? Despite the cyclical clamor to pander to "heartland values" or, as recent years have had it, "middle America", there is always something strange going on in those regions. Not that there isn't on the coasts, or in cosmopolitan centers around the country, but the heartland is hardly exempt from strangeness.

But there is something about this occasion. I'm unclear on this one:

How many candidates send comic books to voters?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It's hard to figure the greater conundrum about this. On the one hand, the comic is shit propaganda, lower than the usual hackery buzzing about during election seasons. To the other, though, it's a comic book. Now, it's not that comic books are without merit. Far from it. But to think that we've reached a point where a candidate is attempting to cajole voters with a comic book?

Perhaps it's a creative marketing concept, but it doesn't say much about the voters, does it? I mean, the angel and devil are hilarious, but as comic books go, that's some lame art.

John Estus reports, for NewsOK.com:

Maybe he can get Uwe Boll to direct the movie version.

Notes:

Image via Slog.

Download the entire comic book from NewsOK: http://downloads.newsok.com/documents/rinehartcartoon.pdf

Works Cited:

Estus, John. "Brent Rinehart's comic book targets foes". NewsOK.com. July 17, 2008. http://newsok.com/rineharts-comic-book-targets-foes/article/3271203/?tm=1216280078

See Also:

Constant, Paul. "Not OK". Slog. July 18, 2008. http://slog.thestranger.com/2008/07/not_ok

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kadark Banned Banned

I'd like to think that Americans refuse to mold their political perceptions on the basis of shoddy, unartistic "comic books", but then again, it's always hazardous to overestimate the intelligence of the average American (no offense to you, Tiassa). Political "comic books" are useful for political purposes, in the sense that they're easy to read, entertaining, and unpredictable. Conversely, doing your homework on a certain candidate's/party's policies and standpoints is belaboring, time-consuming, and wholly uninteresting. You can't really enforce a ban on political "comic books", although there should be rules of one sort or another in place dedicated to filtering the ostensibly outrageous "comic books". At the end of the day, only somebody lacking severely in intelligence and common sense will vote for a candidate because a cartoon devil's stance on homosexuality. Of course, when the aforementioned cretins constitute the majority of your voting sphere, the genuine and sincere candidates are forced to partake in the ticky-tacky "comic book" wars.

Kadark the Diligent

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The court jester has always had the greatest latitude of expression.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

tiassa, this would breach the anti discrimination act here. Also there would be defimation suits coming out left right and center from something like this.

8. superstring01 Moderator

I like that saying.

Pardon the reply: But is that supposed to be impressive?

The guy hates gays. A person can scream it from the hills, publish books and chant it on the radio. Though his speech was obviously negative towards gays, he wasn't outright calling for any harm. By your standard NOBODY could say anything negative about any group (deserving or not) without shuddering in fear of a lawsuit.

I tend to see freedom of speech as trumping some ethereal notion of abstaining from bruising gay people's feelings. There is no freedom from being insulted. I mean how petty can you get!? I'm gay, not a thin-skinned prude! People are tough until taught to be over-sensitive bitches, and if there needs to be a law to keep people from becoming simpering cry-babies then we might as well just punch out now and do the universe a big favor.

I believe in the iron-clad freedom of expression (even the mean kind) and I'd fight and die to ensure that that right exists, because I'm sure I'll be needing it myself one day. The "right" to say something doesn't really mean much if you sit around telling people that they can say whatever they want, so long as it agrees with your worldview. I believe the Nazi's perfected that notion.

The right way to fight bigotry is to acknowledge it and expose it for what it is.

This comic needs none of that: it speaks for itself plainly enough and does gay people far more justice than harm.

~String

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member