cell phone disaster

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Spaazkaz, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spaazkaz anti-religious spiritual type Registered Senior Member

So my buddy just called me up freaking out. Apparantly, his mother made an attempt to call him. He was at the movie theatre and did not pick up the call. The call then went to his ex girlfriends cell and his mom ended up confusedly talking to his girlfriend. The mom had no idea of the ex's cell number, nor was it in her phonebook. My friends phone had a missed call from his mom aat the same time she dialed it, but the call went to his girlfriends phone. How the fuck could this happen. Thanks. -Spaz-

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Call forwarding.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. andbna Registered Senior Member

It's called Call Forwarding, a service you can add to your phone.
    It works like this:
    If a phone is not answered within a specified time, the call is reconnected to a different phone.
    The process is completely transparent to the caller (AFAIK, but I can't test all the phone companies.)
    The cellphone would naturaly register a missed call, since it did not pickup the phone at any time, as the forwarding is not handled by either phone (so as far as it's concerned, the other end hung up.)

It's usefull for buisness (well, home too) so you only need 1 phone number for both your office and cell phone, if your not in the office, the call will automaticaly go to your cell phone where you can pick it up.

-Andrew

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

People who use their cellphones for business make it a matter of habit to set the forwarding number to a specific phone each time they enter a situation where they're unable to answer personally. Either that or they set it permanently to their land line at home or office. Either way, each time the situation ends, as a matter of habit they set it back.

Apparently your friend does not use his cellphone for business and has not developed this 21st-Century discipline. It must be a very long time since he used call-forwarding, since the last time he set the forwarding number it was to a person he no longer communicates with in a location he no longer visits.

That's the problem with the features on modern telephones. If you don't use them often enough to make them a routine part of your life, they can get you in big trouble. Imagine how the ex-girlfriend's new live-in boyfriend might have reacted if he had answered that call? Welcome to the 21st Century. Enter at your peril.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Spaazkaz anti-religious spiritual type Registered Senior Member

Thanks much

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

It might be the reason his Ex is his Ex.

10. draqon Banned Banned

Ex'ed Ex after Ex XXX.

11. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I don't understand what makes this a "disaster".
    Please explain it to me.

12. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

disclaimer: colourful post content below!

I can think of multiple scenarios

1. Maybe he doesn't like it when his mother calls him and freaked out when he found out that the bitch called him.

2. Maybe the mother didn't know the ex was an ex, but she was thinking she would a daughter-in-law within the next year and now she found out that the little shit she calls her son forgot to mention this to her, and now she has written him out of her will.

3. Maybe the mother was trying to reach her jesus-loving son and the ex informed her that the jesus loving son gave her a nasty HIV infection, mainly because he continued to insist to perform the act of 'love' in an unnatural way, a way not even bonobos 'love'.

4. Maybe the mother had a severe stroke and died because she really hated that bitch of an ex, although of course there is nothing wrong with the ex, the mother is just suffering from a particular form of dementia in which the person turns nasty besides being forgetful.

5. Maybe the mother convinced the ex to get together again with the son, and the son is devastated because he just came out of the closet but cannot say no to his mother.

I don't know one raven. There could be a million reasons, but none are mentioned. It bugs me when people leave out essential information. Information needed to make a proper judgement of a what appears to be 'trivial' situation, but one that might, with the proper explanation, turn out to have cost thousands of people their life.

One can only hope.

ps. Obviously I haven't touched the most likely scenarios, such as that the son and the ex are part of a Al Qaeda cell (hence the forwarding) and the mother is a CIA agent. Well, I can imagine that this spells disaster for the terrorist plans to blow up fart-filled ballons in Central Park.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  13. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

heyyyyyyy... was machst du da?

i thought rippleofdeath is ur sockpuppet, but then i realize u dont use
    comic sans

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

but why u leave the number black, lol

There are at least two types of disaster: natural disaster and man-made
    disaster. Which ever it is, the man has a poor disaster risk management, lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.