ideas on how the (USA) economy might recover

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by R1D2, Feb 2, 2013.

1. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

(Thread made so I don't mess up Apocalypse Soon?)
    Just my opinions.
    Taxing through fair and even taxing.
    Lowering new housing taxes a few years.
    Raising oil production, and lowering cost of fuel.
    Increasing green energy the right way.
    Change culture ways.
    Increasing bus transportation for all.
    Limiting national government official work days. (Congress, senate, supreme court)
    Increasing USA made products, lowering foreign made things.
    Increase all border security.
    Increasing state rule and lowering some national rule.
    These are just some of my own opinions.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

USA can increase it's economy if it gives up its leased Alaskan lands back to Russia for a hefty sum of money or oil reserves/gas and etc. It's the only way.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

Uh, much of our gas/oil reserves ARE in Alaska.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

exactly and the Russians will be happy to sell it back to the Americans, without waiting centuries for Congress or Environmentalists.
    Act now to save your children's economical future.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And so can we, and so can we dear Sarah.

8. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Most of those are VERY nebulous - they are without any merit at all unless you can map out a strategy to being them about. Which I *strongly* doubt! Anybody can say "change culture", that's easy to do. But actually getting it done is a horse of an entirely different color.

9. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

New word nebulous..
    Nebulous means.
    1.*hazy, vague, indistinct, or confused: a nebulous recollection of the meeting; a nebulous distinction between pride and conceit. 2.*cloudy or cloudlike. 3.*of or resembling a nebula or nebulae nebular.
    Yes they seem to be as you put it nebulous. But I like many here seem to do is discuss or talk about things we can't do. I
    Want to know ideas how U.S may/might recover. If it will, if it won't. And if someone tweaks my "general" ideas to make something plausible then great.

10. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

You found the right definition. My whole point in saying that is without the details of how to make those ideas work (and most of them will NEVER work) you might as well have just said "hire a bunch of good fairies."

11. billvon Valued Senior Member

Some more specific suggestions:

Develop and deploy advanced nuclear power plants. AP600's and AP1000's at a minimum. PBMR's, fast breeders, thorium reactors and CANDU's may all have a place as well. Small reactors for isolated towns and cities.

Continue buildout of wind, solar-PV and solar thermal electric. Install HVDC backbones to transmit power across the US. Switch to DC from AC wherever possible.

Price incentives to use TOU pricing and load shedding systems.

Convert coal power plants to full CCS operation.

Electrify diesel train routes.

12. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Now *those* I'll buy! No nebulous dreaming there, just good, solid, workable suggestions.

And once the nukes are at least scheduled to come online, pump more cash into battery R&D, fund the building of more fast-charge automotive stations. Electricity-powered vehicles and more nuke plants are a win-win combination. I'd also suggest pumping more cash into developing fusion reactors - I believe *that's* the real road to eventually breaking our dependence on oil.

13. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Turn the management of the economy over to the central committee of Chinese CP. They have a strong interest in seeing that the dollar does not collapse as hold more Treasury bonds than anyone else, except the Fed. Also they execute economic criminals, instead of allow them multi-billion dollars in bonuses when the bank or corporation they manage is losing money and not serving a social good*. They have a proven record of success with >30 year average of GDP growth in low double digits.

* They do operate many money losing SoEs that require more funds to run than the goods they produce sell for, but these SoEs provide jobs and dignity to many who in the US would be doing nothing but going to the mail box to collect their welfare checks and new food stamp cards, other than teaching their kids how to file false disability claims. The Chinese welfare costs are less than 2% of those in the US and mainly medical. (State now pays 2/3 of all medical cost - patient pays 1/3 to avoid abuse.)

Just like the US, if well connected politically, you can take bribes, etc. in China but with a little more risk as you can loss your place within the party during an internal power struggle, lose your CCP membership and go to jail, etc. I don´t think that has happened to any Congressman, despite most having their personal wealth grow by at least a million per year.

14. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Abolish new weapon systems.
    With typical 100% Pentagon estimated cost overrun, that is the entire 3 trillion the Fed has added to its "assets" by printing "thin-air" money!

Ike said: The industrial/military complex is the greatest threat to US survival as a free nation (not under Marshal Law or Military control eventually).

The F-35 is the most expensive weapons system in U.S. history.
    As bad as this plane is for US economic survival, the Navy´s 5 billion dollar each "stealth destroyers" which some of the 10,000 Chinese fishing boats will continuously report their exact locations (<10 meter error) with the Chinese GPS that covers covers all of the S. China sea and the near by regions. (Chinese system is not global as it avoids the costly high precision clocks in each satellite by sending precise time up from the ground. China intends only to defend China with its military. It will and is using economics to rule the world. They understood the truth of Ike´s message.)

As voters, especially Republicans, strongly support funding of military (funds more than total of 10 next largest funded military) this post could have been in my old thread: "How DUMB can US Voters Be?"

* Contractors really love those "cost plus %" contracts!
    (Especially if "redesign" required to meet Pentagon´s new goals and/or "unforeseeable technical problems" can delay end of contract for a decade.)

** 400 billion cost estimate is obsolete and only included the purchase cost - Program will cost about ~3,000,000,000,000 dollars (3E12) -See first quote from Reuters and apply the somewhat standard 100% cost over run to the Pentagon document program cost estimate. As there are ~300,000,000 (3E8) Americans, that is $10,000 dollars from every man, woman and child and as it is a single seat plane, you will not get a ride.
    You have been taken for a "tax ride" already! Again: How DUMB can US Voters Be? Note also that GWB´s corn to alcohol "tax ride" still continues despite rising food costs with ~1/3 of US corn being put into car tanks, not mouths!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2013
  15. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

Here I thought the fed gov was to budget cut defence. And slash many things.
    So they are leaving the ( :m: ) joint strike fighter on the table.

16. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

More like post 11:
    Now 519 million dollars each for the CLS (Offically called the "Littoral Combat Ship" but more accurately the “Little Crappy Ship” - See end of quote below.)

17. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Even more on post 11 (F-35, the 3 trillion dollar cost program):
    US´s most advanced airplanes (The tri-service F-35 & Boeing´s "dream liner" currently are not allowed to even take off!)

18. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Still more like post 11 of US military destroying the US (text condensed from an old post):
    " Look at the US military - new F-22 fighter and supper expensive "stealth" destroyers that any fishing boat can see, etc.
    Ike was right: The greatest danger to the US is its "military / industrial complex" as that really knows how to waste money, which is in short supply now.

"... The F-22 Raptor, which has never flown in combat, has been called “the most expensive, corroding hangar queen ever” by Arizona Senator John McCain, the top Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee. ..." "... The United States Air Force temporarily halted operations for its $77.4 billion fleet of F-22 Raptors this week after several of the plane’s pilots reported bizarre symptoms linked with oxygen deprivation. ..."

That is the Navy´s DDG -1000 "stealth destroyer" which any of the >5000 Chinese fishing ships in the S. China Sea can see it and report where it is to less than 10m error using the Chinese GPS.

"The new DDG-1000 destroyer, which is expected to be delivered by 2014, contains state-of-the-art technology that makes it virtually undetectable as it sneaks up on coastlines and pound targets with electromagnetic "railguns. ..."
    :roflmao: ..." Obvious pro military spending BS from: http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/348450/20120604/stealth-destroyer-cost-ship-ddg-navy-warship.htm - part of the military/industrail complex that is destroying the US economically, as Ike foretold.

"... Right now the ship is costing taxpayers around $3.1 billion* but the price of research and development is likely to bring the tally to more than double*. The ship is several years in the making and the first of its kind is expected to be ready by 2014, but critics in China — the very place Uncle Sam plans to send his up and coming fleet — are laughing at America’s latest endeavor. "It would be a goner," Rear Adm. Zhang Zhaozhong of China's National Defense University tells the nation’s CCTV military channel. ..." From: http://rt.com/usa/news/china-billion-navy-ship-972/

* Current estimated cost is about 5 billion each!

PS as additional and obvious proof that idiots are promoting this: - Note the flames shooting out of the "rail guns" in the photo. - This is all a PR game to get dollars from the tax payers for the military/ industrial complex (and jobs in the home states fo Congress people helping them destroy the US economically).

I´m so sad and embarrassed for my homeland (USA) that I am seriously considering giving up US citizenship, as more than 1000 high income Americans have recently done, mainly to escape tax obligations that would follow you even to Mars - only the US taxes its "Ex-Pats" Being an American living in Brazil was tough when GWB was president. Many asked how could US elect a war mongering idiot as president (but most now like Obama)?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2013
  19. kmguru Staff Member

I like that...that is what is happening with President's $1 Billion to change our Economy...It is like getting a bucket to drain the tsunami...

20. kmguru Staff Member

Military does need new Weapons that are cheap as the country slowly losing the Economy...so time to rethink the whole picture...either improve the economy or settle for cheap stuff...

21. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

In case you think I´m off thread note my posts 11 thru 15 are only documenting why Killing ALL the military´s advanced weapon systems would help make the US safer from economic collapse. - None are needed as the older equipment is generations better than any possible militray enemy has. These new silly expensive not-working boondaugles the military/ industrial complex is promoting for their profits are sending more middle class Americans to the poor house and food stamps.

22. kmguru Staff Member

That is correct...What I do not want to portray is that do not improve Military. That is what Happened to India many centuries ago and then Muslims and British took over, now it is a social mess with lost pieces of land everywhere. So, it is necessary...the catch is India had good Trade then, but USA has poor trade now. So, it is one of those Governance that USA need to think.

23. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Since it is "worse than useless" call it by its correct name: "Corporate Welfare" with re-election support of Congress by making more useless jobs in their districts.
    Go here for more details on the 10 top program costs to tax payers: http://topics.bloomberg.com/defense-spending/

20% of the entire US budget could make higher education free to all - as it is in most modern civilized countires, not run by their military-industrial complex.