Why can't the world live in peace?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by United for Communism, Aug 8, 2011.

1. United for Communism Marx & Lenin Forward Registered Senior Member

It seems so easy...why is it so difficult?

Why can't we all agree to co-operate and work for the common good? All this bloodshed, for what?

All the countries of the world have armies, but for what? Because they assume there will be threats....but if we ALL agreed to peace, we could disarm and use resources for the common good.

Why can't we have peace?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The problem of cheaters.

You just can't trust people to ALL agree to peace. If everybody disarmed, there'd always be some people who'd seek to exploit that situation by not disarming themselves.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Joe Green Banned Banned

The common goal of one country does not fit the common goal of another country. I dare say only a world dictator could make sure his world was war free.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

We could just make these to watch over everyone and let them do justice to those who do wrong.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. birch Valued Senior Member

this is a really nice thought. maybe it will happen one day in the sense that there will be more peace or less bloodshed, war, or need.

9. yaracuy Banned Banned

Did you just arrived from an other galaxy ?

The old communist phrase is " we are going to be equal in the cementer y and every one will have peace wen they are dead."

Your Josef Stalin to subdue the Ukraine murdered with starvation over 10 million Ukrainian . What did the SOB Castro to the Cuban , he betrayed the peoples revolution . What Chavez doing to coffee growers , Wake up , you must be some screw ball

10. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

People are too greedy, selfish, and intolerant of others. To have peace you must first have acceptance, and then we can face up to our responsibilities.

11. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

the bible calls it sin. iow, there's something seriously wrong with all of us.

12. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

mouths and fists are weapons. how do you figure we disarm everyone? lol...

13. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I think it is because birth, aging, illness and death, in their various forms, are generally too much for us to handle constructively.

Acceptance of others is only possible when one has a sense of security, when one does not feel threatened in some way or other.
    Security is a scarcity in this world.

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

You can do a bit more damage with a gun than you can with an arm or a mouth. Think about it.

15. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

“Hungry man, reach for the book: it is a weapon.”

Bertolt Brecht

16. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

"Soldier man, reach for the rifle: it has a longer reach than the book."

- GeoffP, Dictator of East Korea

17. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

"Art is not a mirror--it is a hammer."

-- John Grierson, Dictator of... art

18. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

that still doesn't account for any peace. what's wrong with us doesn't start with a gun or a bomb. what's wrong with us starts in our minds and in our hearts, and usually comes out our mouths first. then we use our fists, then we pick up rocks...

my point is, that we'll never have world peace until we all find peace within ourselves.

i would also argue that people have been hurt with words just as severely and perhaps even more deeply than with a bullet.

19. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

"art is a weapon"

--my chemical romance

20. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

When put that way it's a bit catch 22.
    We have to encourage tolerance to break the cycle.
    I've only felt threatened by those who cannot accept me or my views, and hence they become agressive in attempts to use fear to get you to agree with them.

21. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

"Sex is a weapon" - The Offspring

So all our quotes seem to be indicating anything can become a weapon if used with such intent. It is the intent that causes the problem, and hence humanity.
    If only humanity could become all that it preaches.

22. Gustav Banned Banned

frakkin sci
    so awesome

23. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Then how to conceive of it so that it wouldn't be a double bind?

And yet persistent campaigns for tolerance do not seem to accomplish much toward greater tolerance.
    The message that they eventually impart is that everyone should give up those things that make them different from others - so that everyone will become the same and there would be no need for tolerance.

Tolerance made perfect sense historically when in a monocultural society a minority was tolerated by the majority.
    It's only the winner, the stronger one, that can tolerate the loser, the lesser one. The loser does not tolerate the winner.

The functioning of a pluralistic society may require something completely different than tolerance.