I am always tired...

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Kittamaru, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Okay, so quick background:

Blood tests last time I had them were normal (glucose, iron, red count, O2, et all were normal)

I have mild Sleep Apnea, but apparently not bad enough to require treatment

I have asthma/allergies, but they seem rather well controlled

I am slightly overweight (6 foot even, 245 pounds, slowly loosing weight (was at 280 this time last year))

Diet needs some work... but full time student + full time worker = I eat what I can when I can unfortunately...

So, long story short - I'm pretty much always tired... unless I'm hyper as hell. I'm physically and mentally just... exhausted. I can sleep 12 hours, 8 hours, 4 hours, and not at all, and pretty much anything in between, and I feel just... blech. I wake up tired and never really shake that off.

The only time this is not the case is if I can push myself to exercise and/or sustain some activity through to my second wind... but lately that has become more and more difficult.

Additionally, while I'm exhausted, I have issues actually falling asleep... I'm tired but not sleepy... go freaking figure...

Any ideas guys/gals? I'm so frustrated with all this, as it makes it incredibly difficult for my wife and I to continue to lose weight (she won't go to the gym without me, and lately I've been too wiped out to do so).

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome perhaps, read on...

Chronic fatigue syndrome, or CFS, is a debilitating and complex disorder characterized by profound fatigue that is not improved by bed rest and that may be worsened by physical or mental activity. Persons with CFS most often function at a substantially lower level of activity than they were capable of before the onset of illness.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...1eDiCw&usg=AFQjCNH9qXoAHN1QItlhi93Mcyj9WhBzEQ

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

I get tired when I get high blood sugars

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I have a hypothetical reasoning to the creation of such fatigue however I haven't the capacity to test it. Quite simply I believe the state of our modern lives is the reason for this sort of fatigue, either through our day to day lives having sporadic timing compared to routine. (Like not going to bed at a set time, waking up early and wearing yourself out prior to sleeping again) and Radiology in general.

(This is the hypothetical, feel free to discuss/debate, but please if you are going to debate throw some statistics or evidence in, obviously this isn't my field so it would be great to myth bust while discussing it.)

You see every Radio, Television, Phone and Wifi signal invisibly passes through or reverberates us at a molecular or cellular level. Due to our iron quantity and our overall mass, it can be assumed that the radiology can occasional impart static charge similar to how a television antenna can gain a charge. The reverberation can cause membranes to lose their density and replace with volume. (Fat tissues become soft and stretched rather than more dense)

Now this generates two problems, one is obviously the radiological static charge and the other is that the change in tissue membrane alters how proteins are effectively utilised by the body to do various tasks, like supplying energy or repairing/replacing tissue cells etc.

So what I would suggest is getting out into the depths of a country environment, with no or little radio traffic for a little while while also eating healthily (Get some Vegetables and Fruit in you), obviously exercise is important too, yes you'll feel like shit doing it to begin with, or doing while feeling fatigued, however perceiver, doing so will build your stamina up. But make sure you eat the veg

9. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I've suffered from fatigue for years. The following helped me.

Try to get to sleep and wake up at the same time every night. A sleep schedule that moves around a lot will definitely cause fatigue. An inconsistent diet will also contribute to this. If you are working, and studying full time, you're pushing your body and brain to their limit. Theres almost no way they can get enough rest to compensate. Try to take at least one day a week where you don't do anything, except lay around and relax. You could start taking supplements, but I would guess that they would not make a huge difference, but maybe enough to give you just a little extra kick. Get some fish oil, and some whey protein powder. Maybe a B complex.

You can try chamomile tea to help you sleep. When you brew it, use like 5 or 6 tea bags and let it brew for about 20 minutes, and then squeeze out the tea bags into the cup before you throw them away. You can also use a magnesium supplement, but be careful, magnesium can cause some really nasty diarrhea. If you do use magnesium, take it on a somewhat empty stomach, and try to eat something about 15-20 minutes after you take it. If you use ANY kind of sleeping pill, it will only make you more tired in the morning, at it will take so long to shake it off that its just not worth it.

10. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I am going to agree with Skaught on the schedule.

If you keep a rigid schedule for meals, work, rest & relaxation etc it will give you a basis to work on as well as rhythm, consistency and regularity in your life. You will be amazed at how much a bit of predictability can do for your lifestyle.

Diet is much more important than you are making it.

If you want some basic sound advice, go to Real Age at http://www.realage.com and take the test. Yep, it will take some time, but then you will get constant tips on what to do to be healthy and to lose weight as needed. There is a significant measure of personalization involved.

11. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Try this.
    It will only take a few months to reach a decision on whether it is worth it.
    Cook all your food yourself from raw.

There is a theory, which I'm not sure about, but am going to try in the New Year, (Now, actually. At 22 minutes past twelve), that many dietary problems are caused by eating processed foods.

Worth a try? I think so.

12. WillNever Valued Senior Member

I don't want to be mean, but 245 lbs at 6ft is not "slightly overweight." In fact it's not even "plain overweight." It's smackdab in "obesity."

If you have sleep apnea, then obviously it isn't just SLIGHTLY overweight. I mean, come on? Just because you don't have CPAP doesn't mean it isn't interrupting your sleep pattern. I bet you anything this is the reason of your tiredness.

To cosmictraveler: chronic fatigue syndrome isn't a disease. It's a syndrome caused by an underlying, unresolved factor. Telling someone they have chronic fatigue syndrome doesn't do jack shit for them, unless you can reason out the etiology of it for them.

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

*nods* Thanks for the advice all.

My diet is going to be very difficult to change much, as I rarely have time to cook a good meal (especially for lunch or dinner, unless I want to eat less than an hour before bed).

Moving anywhere is out of the question (my wife and I aren't situated enough to get even our own apartment, much less a house, yet) for now.

I try to maintain a relatively similar routine each day... but it doesn't always work out like I plan, heh.

As for teas and such - I normally try warm milk, honey, and nutmeg to go to sleep.

In regard to CFS - that's an interesting read... and many of those symptoms do seem to be persisting ( the fatigue, soreness, and poor memory have been ongoing for close to 3 years now... not having health insurance sucks... )

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I'm skeptical about this. To impart a static charge, you need to physically transfer extra electrons to or from the object in question - in this case your body. Radio waves of any kind do not carry charge. As for other potential effects, radio wave photons have very low energy. You get a lot more energy dumped into your body each day just by standing in sunlight for a few minutes.

15. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Thyroid cancer. How big is your Adam's apple? Really big? Have it checked out ASAP.

16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Kittamaru:

I'd be wary of accepting any diagnoses of ailments from people here who are not qualified medical practitioners (which I assume means everybody who has commented so far, including me).

These people are not qualified to diagnose chronic fatigue syndrome, or dehydration, or thyroid cancer. Especially not based on the information you've provided.

The general advice you've received sounds fairly sensible: eat right, exercise, go to sleep at a regular time, etc. Specifics such as chamomile tea, magnesium or other supplements are really little more than stabs in the dark.

17. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

This is why I only implied it to be a hypothetical, I would love to test it to find out to be perfectly honest and document the findings be they positive or negative. (After all it doesn't matter what findings occur as long as they are documented correctly to remove either disillusion or identify that a problem exists.)

Currently the only thing that could prove/disprove this hypothesis is the increase in photosensitivity or alterations in melatonin production. (After all the bodies natural defence against radiology is tanning, so if Cells were overloaded by a charge, they would induce a tan to occur which it currently doesn't in regards to standard radio traffic. )

18. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Companies. They stress you out with targets, and work demands that don't allow you time to live. If they did it to cows, they'd be prosecuted.
    Is it possible for you to change your job for one that allows you to function as a human being?

19. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Kittamaru, chances are it will be due to general weight / health issues, and regular exercise might actually give you better energy levels, as well as help lose the weight you want to.

The other thing is, as someone else pointed out, water.
    Dehydration can lead to fatigue, so it might help to drink water, even if you don't think you are thirsty. Not too much, but a glass here and there throughout the day. Read up on it to see what is the recommended intake and see if this helps. For all I know, though, it might not be an issue, but it is worth investigating.
    It can also help with memory and general brain function.
    Also I've read that thirst is often mistaken for hunger... so when you think hunger-pangs are attacking, drink a glass of water instead of any snacks, and see if that helps. With any such thing, though, there will be the psychological habit to counter.

Alcohol and caffein can also have an impact as they can disrupt any sleep you do have, even if you don't remember waking up etc. So try not to drink either too soon before going to sleep.

Anyhoo - these things have helped me in the past and aren't exactly expensive to try.

20. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Parasites.

21. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I actually recently have changed jobs to one that treats me very well - part of my problem is being a full time student AND a full time worker (and my wife is full time student and worker as well). It is especially bad because we are often on conflicting schedules. Once we are out of school things will improve greatly, but for now it's simply a matter of "subsist" until we graduate, heh.

*nods* One thing I've done is keep track of my water intake - I usually take in between 6-8 8oz servings of "fluids" a day (fluids ranging from soda to fruit juices to gatorade, etc) with 4-6 8oz glasses of water on top of that. I've tried to cut back on soda and the like in favor of more natural drinks (such as the juices) or hydrating drinks (like the gatorade).

I've actually considered this, but have no way to test for it.

@ James- no doubt

I'm simply looking for advice to point me in the right direction so that, once I do finally get some form of insurance, I won't be going to the doctor with nothing.

One thing to note - I was 150 pounds @ 5'11" upon graduating high school. After two years at my first college, I was 290 pounds - I one day realized this to be an effect of reduced activity (going from playing soccer and hockey to learning programming and web design, so sitting at the PC all day), poor diet (broke college kid), and drinking nearly 10,000 calories a DAY in SODA.

Yeah, that last one I think fucked me up pretty bad... I made that realization in 2008... and have tried my best to ration my soda intake down to a can or two a day. I dont' think I'm addicted to caffeine (anymore), but I wonder - what kind of residual effects could such a high intake of such a shitty "food" have?

I have since then (now at the end of 2010) managed to drop 6 pants sizes (from a 48 to a 42) and nearly 50 pounds (down to 245 atm). I'm slowly building lean muscle mass with my workouts. This is why I'm so upset about my energy... despite seemingly becoming healthier, I dont' FEEL healthier.

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

That only occures in people who have had galangula fever as far as I'm aware

23. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

That makes me feel better, anyway.
    (probably not the point of the thread)
    Sounds like you are in control of your life, and things will improve once you aren't trying to do two things at once.
    I hope all your hard work will bring you wealth and happiness.

I thought you were in a rut, but I can see that was wrong.
    I hate to think of people who do a job where they are abused and wearing themselves down. If you have commitments, that's often the way.