Abortion

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Anarcho Union, Feb 25, 2010.

?

Do You Believe in Abortion

1. Yes, its my body, its my right

23 vote(s)
    41.1%
  2. Yes, I Have Had One And It Made My Life Better

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  3. Yes (other reason)

19 vote(s)
    33.9%
  4. No, Wheres the Babys Rights? He/She is an American Too

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  5. No, It is Murder

10 vote(s)
    17.9%
  6. No, (Other Reason)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If the couple is that involved together in all these things, then they probably will make the decision together.

More importantly, by the time the question is about abortion, we have already failed. I don't mean responsibly, I mean society has failed to provide cheap, easy, convenient birth control. We need a male pill.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Europe.
    To say nothing of bosses who blackmail their female employees to have sex with them or lose their job.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

This and that

And that umbilical cord.

Something about rational and logical argument goes here, and being too emotionally invested.

• • •​

Welcome, Yellow Jacket, to our humble bedlam. Unfortunately, you're a little late. We've been laughing that one off for a while.

Still, let us consider your comparison. When the implications are put before people, the anti-choice crowd generally isn't too anxious to answer the question. Especially in consideration of proposed laws that were themselves aborted.

Perhaps you might develop your idea for us, so we might see how it works. Would you be so kind as to describe the organizational structure and investigational criteria for a local police department's theoretic Department of Menstrual Investigations? Staff size? Budget? Mandate? Just ... how is this going to work? ("Your ex-boyfriend says you had an unexpected bloody discharge two months ago. Why didn't you call us?")

I adore this argument. See, I'm bisexual, so if women take that advice and stop putting out, I can still get some. But all those guys who aren't getting laid because women won't open their legs unless they intend to have a baby? Let me guess, the woman's just being a bitch? Or, worse yet, a lesbian?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bells Staff Member

So the risk to them is...?

I'm sorry, a foetus is not "like a born baby". No where near it.

But what is he actually saying Mordea? He's all over the place. Save for the dramatic hand wringing and using CAPS constantly which has been amusing in and of itself (I'm still smiling to myself), he hasn't really said anything that one could either understand where he stood or even understand half the time. In other words, he's all over the place. I mean, he even had to correct you and tell you that he's apparently 'pro-choice' because he felt a tad insulted by what you said about pro-choicer's, or he disagreed with how you categorised pro-choicer's as he was a pro-choice.. apparently..

Not at all. And how that must outrage you. I don't think you should be allowed to fuck your 3 year old daughter Mordea, no matter how much you may want to. You would be sexually interfering with a minor which is illegal.

Huh? Where did I demand this?

The only thing I can think of where I would make such a demand would be if it was an IVF child and the "father" willingly agreed and signed the birth certificates and named himself as the father, even though he was not the biological father. Other than that, no. I can understand the trauma to children who suddenly find that their "daddy" is no longer their Daddy as he hops away in happiness at never having to pay $13.65 a month in child support because he proved they weren't his, not realising that the child does not understand that and cannot understand why their "daddy" is suddenly so happy to never have anything to do with them again.. In that sense, parents often think of their own wallets instead of thinking of the children they apparently claim they love. And I hear on a daily basis.. "I love my kids, I was there since they were born and brought them up.. but why should I pay the $13.65 if they're not mine?".. Why should he indeed.

I'm sorry Mordea, but if you want to fuck your 3 year old daughter, your right to choose to do so will and should be taken away because the welfare of the child is at stake.

Now you may feel that a 12 week old foetus is the same as a born child, but the fact of the matter is it is not. The law does not even recognise its existence at that point in time.

Of course you didn't.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Of course you would think so. I suspected nothing less from you.

Which I have no issue with. My question to him, which was answered with something about speaking to them until they come around and see it his way... remains the same. What would you do if you expressed your negative opinion and she still chose to have the abortion?

I'll be honest with you, I have told my husband many times that if he had told me that he wanted me to get an abortion and that he wouldn't stay if I didn't do it his way, I'd have shown him the front door and asked for the keys back just before I shut them in his face. I cannot begin to imagine the grief and the trauma involved if one parent wanted to keep the child and the other to get rid of it. But it does happen sometimes. Even with that grief, however, you still need to respect the mother's right to choose. That is what I have been saying. No woman should ever be forced to carry a child against her will. Just like no man should be forced to provide his sperm against his will.

Yep. You basically bring on your period and it is quite.. ermm.. explosive. I know many women who have done it under doctor's orders. Not something one should try without medical advice or supervision.

And now, let the fun begin:

So she should be forced to carry a child against her will because he wants to enforce his parental rights? Okay. And what happens afterwards if he walks out and does not want the child or does not want to have anything to do with the child?

Again with the "suffer the consequences". You're making it seem like a punishment. Well I guess if you are going to use a woman's body as an incubator against her will, it would be a punishment, wouldn't it?

So the baby should be a just punishment for her because she "opened her legs too"?

How would I feel if doctors performed a medical procedure on my children without my consent? It would depend on the circumstances. If it was an emergency and they saved my child's life, I'd be grateful. If they decided to lop off their ears for medical experimentation, I'd be pissed.

Why not?

Why give the father a choice or a right to demand his spawn be brought to life against the mother's wishes in one instance but not others?

I tend to become sarcastic when faced with, well, ranting and mild idiocy, for lack of a better term. I get it from my father to be honest.

Ah, so it's the woman's fault they had sex? I guess that explains the "suffer the consequences" bit before.

But tell me, what happens if the father wants the child and the mother wants an abortion, or vice versa? Should the mother be forced to carry a child for 9 months in her body against her wishes? Would you force a woman to act as an incubator for your spawn, against her wishes and her consent?

Because that is what this is coming down to. For the father to demand that right to bring up a child that may or may not be his, he would then have no choice but to force her to carry and then give birth to the child without her consent and against her wishes. Now even the Supreme Court in the US recognises that one cannot force a woman to carry a child without her consent. So what would you do?

I would like to see the statistics on how many were relieved or grateful she made that decision or how many even paid for it.

Good for him. I am sure the Child Support Agency in your country is happy to hear about the father's who want to "buck up, be a man and take care of his child". However what happens if he changes his mind?

And again, do you think a woman should be forced to carry a child for 9 months against her wishes and without her consent?

Do you equate having sex and falling pregnant as being the same as robbing a bank or running a red light and hitting another car?

Most people who know me here will tell you when I get emotional. If being amused as hell when reading his posts is getting emotional, then yes, I was emotional. Okay okay, I wiped away tears of laughter and my husband and son's think I have lost my mind as I laughed loudly while reading his posts..

Okay. If it makes you feel better to assume that I was emotional, okay.

Ah, you must be the friend he rushed to for support. How utterly delightful!

LG at least comes out sane and he nitpicked mine as I nitpicked his. He didn't get emotional nor did he rant. Neverfly on the other hand was all over the place. He's still all over the place.

If he can't cope with being questioned about what he posts, then perhaps an internet forum is not the best place to be.

Okay.

I think the question you should be asking is "should one force a woman to carry a child?"

I mean how far would you go if she does not consent to it?

Yes, but you are not realising one thing. Women who opt for adoption are not being forced to carry the child for 9 months against their wishes and without their consent. They are willingly carrying the child with the express intent of giving birth to it and giving it up for adoption. Forcing a woman to remain pregnant for the duration of the pregnancy against her wishes is not the same thing.

And what I am saying is that I partially agree with him. A more conservative Government could render it illegal, but as he advised himself, how successful would such a measure be? Not very. Even when it was illegal not so long ago, women still found ways to do it and sometimes it was unsafe and quite dangerous.

Because it is a personal argument. He (LG) has categorised women who have abortions as being akin to murderers or mass murderers. So the question is a valid one. What right does he have over other women's reproductive rights..

8. Neverfly Banned Banned

Actually, I, unlike you, have been honest. Friends were reading along and we were commenting. This one that joined was still awake and not necessarily known extraordinarily well-- but decided to join at your post responding an invitation to join (along with you implication that I had invented a tale and asking that Mods check IP.)

Your lack of honesty and manipulative techniques are glaringly obvious Bells. You really should drop the act. You're just not very good at it.

More complete Dishonesty.

You seem to lack the fortitude and the honor of self introspection and correction.
    The problem is not my inability to cope with being questioned.

The problem is your manipulation and Ignoring all answers, claiming no answers were given, applying repeated questions that have been answered, further ignoring of answers, repeating questions that have been answered-- on and on and on with no end in sight. I demonstrated this in post 359.

I notice that you refuse, still, to respond to post 359 in which it was clarified where you continued to ignore answers and continued to use
    Profanity
    vulgar wording
    Insults
    and condescension/derision along with repetative questioning on issues I have repeatedly answered to the best of my ability. Your hounding and browbeating are clear.

How difficult would it be, Bells, to be adult enough to admit that you missed a post of mine, misunderstood me or otherwise were in error? Is it Really So Very Hard for you to do that?

Let me Help You Out:
    I am going to answer all of your questions in One Go. Let others who have read the thread decide whether or not I have answered these same points.

My stance is simple, although the issue is complex. Due to the complexity of the issue, it may make my answer appear to be more complex than it is.

I "believe" that living life includes being responsible for actions, choices and decisions. This is true for jobs, buying materials, maintaining such and relationships.
    Emotions are a large factor and a relevant factor in this issue. To say that emotions should not be involved is absurd. All any of us can do is to try to maintain our emotions in order to speak reasonably. I admit I haven't maintained them well.
    A zygote is more than a hair follicle. This is not to be misinterpretted as "equal Rights" as a mother. It is simple statement of fact that I'm sure any rational person can agree with. A zygote is composed of stem cells which bear unique properties. A zygote is a process of development, not a finished product. It deserves respect for those existent and undeniable properties. That respect is, as I previously described, not an issue of equality. One respects diamonds for the properties they hold. They are inanimate, yet useful and that respect will have a bearing on a decision on what to do with a diamond. This is Simple and I will not tolerate dissembling of the post in order to Manipulate it into things I have NOT SAID.
    That respect is nothing more than a factor in the decision making process. At no point does the existence of respect claim that equal rights are involved, (I am not equal to a diamond) nor does it make a demand on anyone to do something they do not want to.
    It merely stands for what it is as it is -- a factor in the decsion.
    Sex is pleasurable because that is a huge reason to reproduce--evolutionarily effective for survival. However, it's purpose is reproduction. We all know this. We all know the responsibility that comes from having sex.
    From STD's to pregnancy, our knowledge of risks is essential in order to maintain the practice. This is also, not unreasonable, and it does not speak of force.
    I have stated that I am disturbed by the idea of Frivilous or casual abortions. No one can claim that I have no right to say that. No one could claim that I am less of a man for having said that.
    What you are left with is a Heavy decision. It is not light, as throwing away the wrapper of a snickers bar. Just as I have said that a Zygote is not equal to the life of the mother, a snickers wrapper is not equal to a zygote.

A fetus is a much further development of the process than a zygote, just as a baby is a further development of the fetus and an adult a further development of a baby.
    That is most certainly not a difficult concept to understand...

To Answer Bells Inappropriatly asked (She asked repeatedly after I answered and accused me of being a person that would kill momma to save zygote etc. AFTER claiming to have read my posts in which I said I would not...)questions:

Should a woman be forced to carry a child to term: No.
    Should a woman be sacrificed to save a zygote: No, that's absurd.
    Should a woman be sacrificed to save a fetus: I think an adult still carries more weight than a potential adult. My answer is No, although I'm open to the fact many people feel a child, being innocent and fresh, deserves a fresh chance. This is not a clear situation as peoples opinions on worth of life vary greatly. Simply put, I can think that most of the time a mothers life has more weight--- it's a complex questions and not easily answered.
    Should a woman who was subject to rape etc be forced to carry a child to term: No.
    Should a woman who is ill be coerced into carrying a child: No.
    Should a woman contemplating abortion discuss it with her mate: Absolutely.
    Should a woman be open to others ideas about such a weighty decision: Absolutely.
    Should a woman be subjected to mental anguish and browbeating: No.
    Do I "believe" that abortion is Wrong or Right: It's a hard decision and should not be taken lightly. It is not about "right and wrong" as much as about circumstances, unpredictables, necessity and responsibility.

For the Record, considering that Bells made a claim about my sons mom decided not to abort: I had stated the issue was not discussed, I had Personally Wondered if she would think of it and asked her if she was-- her answer was an Emphatic NO. That is All that was said and I am appalled by her manipulations of what I had said into making it appear as though I had degraded my sons mother. You speak of right to speak, Bells, yet you resort to some of the lowest tactics I've ever seen.

I've come to the conclusion that it is unhealthy to discuss anything in depth with you, Bells. I will ignore anything in depth from you should you direct a post at me and maintain light and distant posts between us in order to ensure that you no longer have been granted the ability to twist, manipulate, distort or otherwise, use intellectual dishonesty against me as you have done in this thread --- Across the entire forum at this point. I'm sure we will both be better off for it.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  9. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Yes, he should have a say, but only in the literal sense, in that he should get to voice his opinion. He should never get to force a woman to carry something inside her body that she doesn't want there. It's her having nutrients taken from her blood for nine months, her having her body and movements altered, her having to watch what she eats and deal with any addictions she might have and give up any activity where she might get an impact injury.

Like I said. When men can carry children, sure, I shall be happy in the event of an unwanted pregnancy to simply have the thing removed and have it implanted in the father's body. Until then,

Ooh, I just saw this old one:

Ya know, last time I checked, having sex is not a felony for which one must be punished by being forced to have a child.

Would you force someone to 'suffer the consequences' in any other situation?

Like I said in my thread

10. Neverfly Banned Banned

Of course he has a say.
    They had a say before they had sex, too. I'm sure most couples do discuss the issue ahead of time, so it rarely becomes a major problem.
    So this, really, is as it must be. I can see a lot of people playing the system for whatever reasons if a man could force a women to carry a zygote until it was more.
    I absolutely think a father has a say in the matter.
    But my admission of that does NOT mean I am claiming he can force her, either.
    I'm glad to see agreement on this issue.
    If a man commits a felony of putting his hand in a saw, he suffers the punishment of the removal of his hand. I'm sure he didn't WANT that to happen...

I think I can see why if someone points this out-- the other side thinks he is confused or advocating a pro life stance.
    Nonsense, he's simply pointing out that life is cause and effect.

V.I.- you are making it look like pregnancy is a punishment for the crime of sex. That is flat out not the case. It's cause and effect.

No, if you mess up a move in parkour, you must accept the consequences that are the INJURY you sustained from messing up.

If you are injured, will you not try to alleviate the symptoms?

11. Bells Staff Member

Ah.. good times.. good times..

I am a former moderator. I would have checked their IP regardless.

Now, you have asked your friend to join and this forum has another member. It is a benefit for you and for this forum as a whole.

I doubt it was my explicit invitation that had them immediately join. You had implied that you would be asking others to join to apparently put me in my place of sorts.. Because you know, I'm being so mean and horrible to you.

Okay. Let me make this clear to you.

You have been like a proverbial yoyo in this thread. Your opinions and stance have been all over the place. You have continuously contradicted yourself. When I query your stance, you state that I am putting words in your mouth (for lack of a better term) and then declared that I have misrepresented you. I asked you questions to clarify your position but your answers were so emotionally driven that you were still unable to answer them clearly. So I worded some of the questions differently, in how it would apply to you personally.

I haven't ignored the answers you have given. I have asked you for clarification of your apparent "answers" because they have not only not been very clear, but you have consistently and continuously contradicted yourself.

And I'm sorry, but post 359 was a joke. You demonstrated nothing except my clear and repeated questions to you because you have been so unclear and so contradictory in your posts.

I did respond and I advised you I thought you were joking.

You have accused me of lying, accused my husband of apathy and jumped to ridiculous conclusions about a situation you knew nothing about, became angry with me because you jumped to said conclusions and then to top it off, you got shitty because I pointed out that not only were you ranting by your own admittance, but also emotional by your own admittance and you denied both, then admitted it was emotional for you.

Now, you expect me to take you seriously?

You have consistently and repeatedly demanded that I not respond or speak to you and told me to get stuffed. And now you're pissy because I treated your post 359 as the absolute joke it was and did not respond to you as per your own instructions and wishes.

Make up your mind!

And how adult would it be of you to write your posts in a clear and concise manner and not contradict yourself every second paragraph?

When I ask you for clarification because yes, I did not know where you stood on the issue, you became emotional and a tad overly upset and accused me of misrepresenting you. I have noticed that anyone who dares ask you for some clarification is accused of misrepresenting you. Thus far, it is 3 of us in this thread. All of us have asked for clarification about what it was you were trying to say and all of us have been accused as misrepresenting you. At what point are you going to realise that it's not us but you who might be in the wrong here?

Thank you. Now, had you clarified yourself as well earlier, we would not have had you get your knickers in such a knot and my in such hysterical laughter.

It wasn't a claim. Since your son is alive and hopefully well, one can pretty much come to the conclusion that his mother did not abort him. Just as seeing my son's are alive and well, I decided to not abort them.

Okay.

If that makes you feel better. Okay.

/Pat..

12. Neverfly Banned Banned

Bells, I can see, I think, where I may have confused you, simply because of the example given in my response to V.I.

359 was no joke. What it did was show how you repeatedly posed accusatory questions after the answer.
    I have not been a yo yo-- you have failed to understand my posts.

I never denied Both. You say you quote me directly? Then quote directly where I denied having emotion on the issue. 'Ranting' is a relative term. You can THINK I'm ranting doesn't mean that I am ranting. So that accusation is really not relevant. I could easily accuse you of the same.

I apologized for my commentary about your husband and I admitted that I ws influenced by your behavior. You withheld the claim that you were very ill at the time of your pregnancy-- and made it appear quite casual.
    So don't talk to me about a lack of clairty.

I have been clear all along.
    I repreatedly asked you to go back and read my posts. I tried to get you to do that again and again. As a last ditch effort, I made a post pointing out that if someone keeps saying you are misunderstanding them- there is a High Probability that you are. That post was also ignored.
    Post 359 shows clearly your failure to do so, your failure to see basic and concise wording, your failure to address that wording.
    Instead of raising the same old questions, you could, instead, quote me directly and ask me about what I SAID and not ask me about things I had not said.
    I pointed out that you won't respond to it- Because frankly I think you're well aware that you cannot refute it with your claims of lack of clarity or nonanswers. It boxed you in, so you had to ignore it and continue to try to make it appear as though it was a "joke." Yet-- the post is Still There...

ETA: Yes, I have behaved poorly in this thread as well. It's not Easy to admit that. It's further aggrevating to have these admissions used against me.
    I apologize for my poor behavior and I am trying to keep myself in check and not go off on the tempting tirade I would like to.
    Sincerely Bells, If I personally slighted your situation, your husband or the practice you chose-- I do apologize for that. I was wrong. I do not make frivilous apologies. When I make one- I mean it.
    I cannot apologize for my accusations in regard to how you have conducted yourself.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  13. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Ack. I'm sorry if I implied that, I didn't mean to.

I don't mean that having a baby is a punishment for having sex. I meant that being forced to have the baby when you don't want it, is akin to treating sex as a crime that requires punishment.

Yes. Just like if I accidentally got pregnant and definitely didn't want to carry it to term, I'd abort it asap while it was still undeveloped.

14. Bells Staff Member

What it showed was my repeatedly trying to get you to answer the questions. Why? Because your answers previously had been so contradictory. You'd give one answer and then contradict yourself within a couple of paragraphs.

For example, in the very same post:

From that post, I was apparently supposed to have a clear picture of what it is you were trying to say? And you wondered why I said you were a tad confused about this issue?

In all of my responses to you, I have quoted you directly above my response to the points you have made. I stated that you were emotional about it. You got pissy and accused me of being emotional instead. You were ranting.

My behaviour? I told you that my husband had no issues with my doing what was right, for myself first and foremost. You responded with "I'd have told you straight up". You completely jumped to conclusions about a situation you knew nothing about. You accused me of lying, which I did not and have not and you accused him of apathy. Now, you don't know my husband, yet you can accuse him of apathy? I found that interesting to say the least.

Your post 359 showed that I was repeatedly trying to get you to answer a question without contradicting yourself, something you have done repeatedly in this thread. I don't refute any of what you posted because it showed that I was trying to clarify your confused and confusing position and stance.

I considered your 359 to be a bit of a joke to be honest.

I have had you demand that I not respond to you or speak to you and then have had you get upset because I ignored you as per your wish. When I responded and told you that what you posted was merely mirroring what I had been trying to do all along in this thread.. ie.. get you to answer clearly and without contradiction.. you went off the deep end.

And I apologise if you assumed that I was manipulating you.

To be honest with you, I just wanted a clear answer from you.

If you want to go off on a tirade, go right ahead. But for the love of all that is holy, you cannot expect to not be questioned directly if you keep contradicting yourself in your posts. You were all over the place. Hence after a while, my questioning became a bit harsher as I tried to force you to answer it clearly.

And it is only now that you have posted clearly..

15. Neverfly Banned Banned

So you see it as a cause and effect but the effect is manageable?
    Like that man getting his hand treated at the hospital.
    To some, that hand is already gone as an effect that must be accepted and dealt with.
    I see it as they should not be forced. But they should consider the entire choice with the weight it actually has because the effect has an item develop that is MORE than a glob of goo. I see it as a Hard choice, not a casual one. And that choice should bear the full responsibility.
    To force a person is to not only strip away the right, but the responsibility as well. That is more dangerous for all involved in some cases.

To use your parkour example: If you practice, you are aware you might injure yourself at some point. You go into it fully aware of this and should that happen, you must deal with the pain.
    Pregnancy is not injury, it's also something that brings something GOOD. Unlike a sports injury, which is all bad and can even have lasting effects, parenting brings good effects too.
    So unlike taking a pain reliever, a person must weigh in the factors that still exist. Denial of them makes no sense.
    Let's say you're deciding on buying a car. YOu won't JUST consider gas mileage and cost and insurance, you'll consider the benefits, too. It's that way in all choices. Thus; my repeated pointing out the factors involved and comparing them to all other things in life which have less emotional response.
    Unlike that man at the hospital treating his hand, where he has only vast negatives to the consequences, birth has benefits, too.
    This is not forcing. It's clarifying, applying consideration.

Ok. I find that reasonable.

Can you see where I have issue with a person doing it when it IS developed?
    You Previously said "If my Birth control Fails". This implies that Abortion would be a logical last resort. Is that the case?

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No they shouldn't. Sex should be entirely divorced from reproduction. No one should have to contemplate creating a human being when all they want to do is "it".

17. Neverfly Banned Banned

Uhhh... take it up with the Divine Creator?

It is a result of doing "it" even if they think it shouldn't be or have wishful thinking that it isn't.

If all they want is it without kids, do they not need to take preventive measures? It cannot BE divorced. Not without some medical and genetic technology we either don't have or don't have the means to employ.
    So, as it is, one must understand that the two are entirely related.

18. mordea Registered Senior Member

What about it? You keep repeaing 'umbilical cord' as if they are two magic words. Yet not even they change the fact that the child exists prior to being born.

Cute. You can't rebutt my argument, so you simply dismiss it out of hand.

I re-iterate: If it is criminally negligent to deny a born baby the essentials of life, it should also be considered criminally negligent to deny an unborn baby sustainence.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  19. mordea Registered Senior Member

Did I say that there was a risk? No, I didn't. See, this is what I meant about you putting words into the mouths of your opponents.

What I did say is that there are implications for the health workers. After all, they are the one terminating the life.

And a born baby is nothing like a sixty year old human. However, we value the lives of both (although interestingly, babies receive preferential treatment when it comes to medical waiting list).

Here, I'll put it simply for you. Fetus. Born baby. Toddler. Child. Teenager. Adult. Elder. All human. All who are at different phases in the developmental cycle.

I re-iterate, read the two posts of his (hers?) that you quoted. It's spelt out there.

I can't blame them. Your obtuseness gets annoying after a while.

But wait, you're pro-choice, aren't you? Why are you interfering?! Why are you meddling?! Hypocrite! Pseudo-prochoicer!

Misrepresentation. I never said they were the same. I simply feel that any differences between the two have no bearing on their humanity.

No shit.

Nor did the law once recognise the equality of black people. The scientific fact of the matter is that the child exists. That the law may disagree with this simply demonstrates that the law favours rhetoric and popular opinion over fact.

Of course. That's because the only inconsistencies were the ones you dreamt up.

I disagree.

I disagree.

20. Neverfly Banned Banned

I have a dumb question
    Do abortion procedures have any detrimental affects on a woman (physically)?
    Are there complications, risks or cases of harm done?

Are they unpleasant (physically)?

21. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Any abortion or even pregnancy can have its risks. Most abortions are quite safe when they are done in a reputable clinic which is the norm when they are legal. Women risk hemorrhaging, infection and sometimes if its really botched the inability to ever have children. Bells before I believe also pointed out that if they don't get all the fetus matter it can lead to a D&C procedure.

They are not supposed to be really physically unpleasant. Women generally say its like having a really really bad period after the fact, of course they will bleed

22. Bells Staff Member

So doctors who abide by a person's DNR order are doing what exactly?

Is a fetus as human as a born baby or an "elder"?

A born baby and an "elder" can survive outside of the womb. Can a "fetus" do the same before 27 weeks?

Somewhere..

And it's "his".

I'm sorry, my sciforums spidey senses into what the hell people mean when they keep contradicting themselves was not active at the time.

You equate being pro-choice as being also pro-fucking your 3 year old daughter?

Interesting Mordea.

Oh?

"Fetus. Born baby. Toddler. Child. Teenager. Adult. Elder. All human."​

But you are saying they aren't the same. Just all human..

But I asked you if you thought they were the same. As in I asked you a question seeking clarification from you. So in asking you a question, I am misrepresenting you? Oh wait, I shouldn't ask you that either as you'd consider that to be another misrepresentation..

Ah, but you fail to recognise that the law does give recognition to a fetus after a certain point (viability).

23. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Your not responding to my post. I asked you:

"What if she wants to abort and he is opposed? Who gets the final decision?"

Meaning if after he is told and he wants the child but she doesn't want to carry a child to term then what.

The rest of it was this:

"Most men know the woman is going to have an abortion anyway and quite often also pay for it but that's besides the point. If the guy isn't in the picture at all it really doesn't matter what he thinks but its unlikely a woman in a relationship will abort without letting her mate know she is pregnant."

Meaning if a woman is in a relationship or is married then she will most likely tell her partner about the fact she is pregnant but not ready or what have you. A woman would only withhold the information if there are other circumstances, like for example there is no real relationship with the father, or she and he are both underage or she's married to a religious man doesn't believe in birth control and she doesn't want a 5th or 6th child. The problem with this discussion is that the lives of each person who would make such a decision is so personal that there are too many variables to consider objectively. Meaning each woman has her own story and her reasons why she includes or doesn't include the male and we could use our imaginations all day coming up with scenarios of why one would or would not.

The rest of what you wrote doesn't have anything to do with my post. Sorry.

As for the law I posted this earlier in the thread:

"A male who suspects he has fathered a child can only assert parental rights after paternity has been established. Most states now require a paternity test to be made by using DNA testing rather than a blood test. The U.S. Supreme court ruled it was unconstitutional and a violation of a woman's civil rights for an abortion to be refused on the grounds that the "possible" father objected. In other words a man who believes he is the father has no legal grounds or procedure to oppose the woman's decision to obtain an abortion."

So basically even if the man is the woman's husband he cannot legally deny his wife from having an abortion never mind a boyfriend or booty call or whatever the relationship may be.

Oh wait, by the way. A few points of clarification from your previous posts, you asked why are men all put in the same boat when there are men who would stroke their partners back and help out etc. but then you make sweeping statements about women being dishonest as if there is a specific example involved, you call this hypothetical woman irresponsible for laying down but she isn't laying down by herself so why isn't he also being irresponsible?

You asked for facts on my statement that many men pay for a woman's abortion, well there are no 'facts', there are personal experiences. I have known single as well as married women who have had abortions, in the one case my friend is married and living in Denmark so the health services payed for the abortion and he went along with her (they had two children at the time and now they have a little girl). In the other cases in was at university here in the States and their boyfriends footed the bill for them to go to an abortion clinic.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.