"Taken"

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by superstring01, Feb 12, 2009.

1. superstring01 Moderator

Just saw the movie today. While I can't say that it was revolutionary, it was freaking faaaaaantastic. Heart pounding from pretty much start to finish.

~String

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I want to see that movie so bad. How gory is the violence?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. superstring01 Moderator

No gore. Just good, clean ass-kicking. The thing is, the bad guys are just SO bad and so deserving (due to the horrific things they do, which I don't want to say because it will ruin it) that you find yourself practically cheering for Neeson through the whole thing.

~String

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

I am amazed this movie got away with a PG-13 rating, but I agree...kick ass movie.

I didn't know Liam Neeson could move like that. That scene where he is talking to the Albanians in the kitchen is my favorite.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Sounds allot like "Ransom" that played about 12 years ago, just a little different twis.

"When it comes to ramping up to vein-bursting levels of tormented anxiety, Mel Gibson has a kind of mainstream intensity that makes him perfect for his heroic-father role in director Ron Howard's child-kidnapping thriller. When you think of Ransom, you automatically think of the scene in which Mel reaches his boiling point and yells, "Give me back my son!" to the kidnapper on the other end of several torturous phone calls.

Trapped in the middle of any parent's nightmare, Mel plays a self-made airline mogul whose son (played by Brawley Nolte, son of actor Nick Nolte) is abducted by a close-knit group of uptight kidnappers. But when a king's ransom is demanded for the child's safe return, Mel turns the tables and offers the ransom as reward money for anyone who provides information leading to the kidnappers' arrest. Thus begins a nerve-racking battle of wills and a test of the father's conviction to carry out a plan that could cost his son's life. The boy's mother (played by Rene Russo, reunited with Gibson after Lethal Weapon 3) disapproves of her husband's life-threatening gamble, and a seasoned FBI negotiator (Delroy Lindo) is equally fearful of disaster as the search for the kidnappers intensifies."

--Jeff Shannon

9. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Yeah I thought it was excellent and was thinking of watching it again, and I don't do that often.

10. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I hated it. The guy is superman: if he instead called up a team to rescue his daughter and at least 1 of them dies, I would have found it more believable.

11. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

There was no time to get American commandos, specially that the French wouldn't let them into action anyway and the French police was corrupt. So he was left alone. He could have used 1-2 of his colleges though...

12. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Yeah, but guys like to imagine themselves as the hero. When he looks average, they can put themselves into the role easier.

14. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Of course that explains the intense popularity of action movies with bulky men that can crush other normal men like toothpicks with their bare hands, men that "have no time to bleed".

15. original sine Registered Senior Member

The movie was okay. I enjoyed seeing Liam Neeson in the action hero role. However the plot was flimsy and his exaggerated ability to kick ass was only made less believable from the situations he put himself in. The characters had no interesting personalities or depth. The conclusion was rushed. It was a decent action flick though.

16. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

If you look at the average CIA killer, he doesn't look anything like Arnold. It is the skill, not the muscle..

17. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I'm aware of that, but also the average CIA killer never works alone, even a sniper of special forces training in a jungle out to kill "che" works in buddies of 2.

In short you can't go half way toward realism, you either try to be as realistic as possible or you go good old blood and guts.

18. superstring01 Moderator

Who said anything about believable? Who gives a fuck. It was fun. 'Nuff said.

~String

19. superstring01 Moderator

So go start another thread to spread your prissy angst. Don't pollute this thread with another drop of your witless non sequiturs.

~String

20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I did not find it fun, I found it unmoving, unimpressive: movies need a level of immersion for people to feel for the plot and characters, this movie had none for me.

21. camilus the villain with x-ray glasses Registered Senior Member

I loved this movie, it was incredible. It was just too short in my opinion. I wanted a little bit more killing when it finished, the main character was bad ass. great movie though.

22. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

One of the best action flicks I have seen in a very long time.

I was sad to see how many critics panned the film by calling it "Anglophilic or Europhobic". Especially since it was created by a French team and stars a non-American. The RT score on the film suffers because of these self-righteous dolts.

23. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I loved Niam Leeson in the role. I thought the Daughter got her just desserts really, seemed a bit spoilt to begin with. But I guess she learnt her lesson.