An Anonymous Forum

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Zap, Dec 17, 2008.

?

Do you support a subforum for anonymous discussion?

1. Aye

22 vote(s)
    53.7%
  2. Nay

19 vote(s)
    46.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

I like it. What could be wrong with it? Hell, maybe an option for EVERY forum to have your display name as Anonymous. Mods being the only one who could see your real name. Ignoring could be done with a "ignore all posts by this anonymous" button I guess.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ripley Valued Senior Member

It basically reveals how miserly people are with themselves—because they don't have much character to spend.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John99 Banned Banned

This is an anonymous forum. or do people judge by an avatar or some stupid name.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

... where "intelligent" means they agree with you, of course.

What arrogance.

8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Semi-anonymous

Semi-anonymous. It's easy enough to represent yourself accidentally, or at least indifferently. An anonymous forum would make that outcome a bit tougher.

9. John99 Banned Banned

i dont know what to say. btw, how is everything?

10. Zap Facts > Opinions Registered Senior Member

This would certainly work. I have been on the administrator-side of forum software before that had an 'anonymous' toggle option for each forum. It was not vBulletin, however, so indeed some improvision might be necessary were this project undertaken at Sciforums. The personalities here - as in so many other places - seem very much wedded to cultivated online personas, and so it would be fascinating to witness these veils pulled away. In this sense I see the anonymity of the proposed forum as not throwing up more gauze between members, but in a kind of way removing it.

11. Zap Facts > Opinions Registered Senior Member

That was a bit tongue-in-cheek, which I understand is not easily conveyed in this medium - but in any case I offer an apology for any offence.

12. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

#chan is that way --->

13. scott3x Banned Banned

I vote for a quasi-anonymous forum. That is, you log in as usual, but in the aforementioned forum, everyone is labelled as anonymous, but with numbers that are perhaps assigned at random. If someone is identified, they can simply ask for a new number.

The reason I want these numbers is because I want an -admin- to still be able to know who's who if necessary and deal with the situation appropriately; and they should be able to know who a poster is even if they request a new number- that is, everyone would have a history of the anons they'd been (naturally, the same number wouldn't be able to be assigned twice). When would it be necessary? when someone is spamming or foaming at the mouth

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Yes, I'm aware that this would probably require some programming. And no, I'm not offering my services (not much of a programmer anyway

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

).

14. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Ok, now I'm certain JamesR rigs these polls. Who would vote no? Except James and maybe tiassa. You'd have to have no imagination, no sense of adventure, no trace of curiousity in the make up of your human brain. You'd basically have to be inhuman to not vote yes.
    It would be like polling school kids and asking if they would rather wear the uniform or have free dress, if the poll favoured school uniform you would immediately suspect some kind of children of the corn scenario had taken place and you would shoot the evil soulless alien children before they mindfucked you to death.

15. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Feeling a bit melodramatic, are we?

16. Roman Banned Banned

Hyperbole

17. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

ahh so he's being hyperbolic?

18. scott3x Banned Banned

Personally I find some merit in anonymity. However, I also believe that where there are no limits, there can also be no responsibility. Spam bots are the worst, but a few truly toxic people can simply ruin a forum. For this reason, I support the idea of a forum that is anonymous in general; -however-, if someone starts making trouble, an admin should be able to find out who it is and deal with it normally. This is essentially the stance that I outlined in this post.

19. gluon Banned Banned

Yeh what? You're not being serious, surely?

20. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

I wonder, if we invalidated all of the votes due to sock puppets of banned members, how would this change the current vote count?

21. gluon Banned Banned

I wonder, but in this case, make sure they haven't voted with their original accounts.

22. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

banned members can't vote?

23. gluon Banned Banned

Oh no, let them vote. Just make sure they haven't voted twice, because its easy to erase a sock puppets vote, just make sure that was indeed their second vote. If it was their first vote, then by all means, leave them be. What's the harm in using another account? Heck, i should know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.