Dead Scientist Invents Green Fridge

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by TruthSeeker, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I know. I loved in North Carolina and it is very humid. That surprised me as well.

I think maybe it has to do with cost. They are cheap to run.
    And, like you said, they were popular many years ago, and they really don't break, so people just didn't replace them.

North Carolina has (or at least did fairly recently) the most PhD's per capita than any other state, but at the same time, it had the most houses with no indoor plumbing per capita.

Then again, people in the city had them too.
    Maybe it's just the mentality of if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I knew a guy who installed maintained them and he said there was even a resurgance of popularity of them in new construction :shrug:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

It still seems odd but interesting - and I believe you.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Yes, they're very cheap to operate plus they're very good as dust filters also.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. salvation Registered Member

there is pretty much a cheaper and less environmentaly sounder alternative to most household gadgets,but for some reason they are hardly used.
    i believe its because the major suppliers of such technology hold the patents and markets for their designs and will refuse any competition regardless of its benifits to the world or humanity.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Lets see:

Ammonia: NH[sub]3[/sub]
    Butane: C[sub]4[/sub]H[sub]10[/sub]

Verses:

CFC-12 : CCl[sub]2[/sub]F[sub]2[/sub]
    Freon-150: ClH[sub]2[/sub]C-CH[sub]2[/sub]Cl

I'd suggest it had little to do with safety, the purpose of using Freon was probably just to make Smaller Refrigerators rather than the clunking whirring sounds of motors running that older refrigerators were renowned to have. Also the more moving parts (eg. an Engine) the more likely a refrigerator would require maintenance, after all should they breakdown they won't just dump water across your kitchen floor but spoil or your previously refrigerated foods.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

antiqueappliances.com

8. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

Ah the old Aussie outback beer fridge trick

I learned this one from a bunch of Aussies I met when backpacking around Europe many years ago - in the absence of a fridge to get your beer cold - wrap the bottles in a wet rag and hang them in the breeze - as the water evaporates from the rag it takes the ambient heat from the beer with it

9. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Volcanoes and the oceans are much larger sources of free chlorine, and chlorine is chlorine. Ozone is continually produced by, guess what, exposure to UV, and that tiny bit of ozone can't possibly shield that much radiation by itself. None of you people who support the theory even know how much UV is at the top of the atmosphere and how much reaches the ground.

It is a lot safer for the people who live in the house for your refrigerator to leak freon than it is for it to leak ammonia or butane. The R-134 must be a pretty poor refrigerant for anyone to even think of using ammonia/butane instead of. Both gases can kill you in your sleep. Ammonia is also flammable and its ignition temperature is lower than the temperature of the pilot light in a home furnace. In either case your refrigerator could catch fire if it leaks, and that's a lot more likely with butane of course.

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/byname/toxicity-ammonia.htm

Look up butane toxicity, too. Nasty.

Freon is less toxic and not nearly so flammable. It's not entirely nontoxic but enough safer that they use it in drug inhalers.

Carbon dioxide would be best but it's too easy for it to freeze out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.