Gay rights

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Asguard, Jun 5, 2008.

1. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

the lesbian gay bisexual transgender site colage.com reckons you're born gay, not turned it. therefore gay adoptions wouldn't make children gay.

the remaining negative effect of gay couples adopting is society hating on the child. surely you could pick the right area to live in to negate that, right? you just need a metro part of the city.

what issues remain?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

ok yes your born gay, but it has become fashionable to be bi sexual now, more and more kids belive they are bi, part of the reason is people are saying its ok to be bi/gay and yeah it is, but what if these youngs kids try out they're fealings and are left hurt for a long time?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

well what you appear to be suggesting is that they're forced after recognising they have a difficult child (please don't be offended, all children are unique challenges, and good on you for taking the course). however, some parents just don't care, or don't realise, and their children suffer.

what i'm saying is given any man and woman can have children, it seems fair that a gay couple who are inspected and watched over should also be allowed. like the bar is set so low for hetros, but impossibly high for gays, and your problem is with the gays?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

that's life, you try things out, you take risks. it seems no more risky dating a gay than dating a girl, provided you wear protection etc. and if bisexuality is more and more common, then aren't the gay parents less to blame if it does occur?

8. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

ok your talking me around, perhaps they should be able to adopt but what if the child doesnt like the couple? what if the couple dont like the child?

9. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

why is that a homosexuality specific issue? this is an issue for all adoptions. i would think there would be a set amount of contact between parents and child before the adoption takes place.

what am i talking around? did not mean to.

10. phlogistician Banned Banned

Bullshit. They should have the same rights as everyone. The idea that kids will be kept in reserve for same sex couples to adopt is absurd enough to be a 'Sun' headline.

11. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

your talking round to your point,. i still cannot see why its right!

12. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

it'll happen though!!

13. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

What the hell?

In the United States, as String noted, the long wait is the children's. We have, on average, over 100,000 kids a year in need of homes. It's one of the infuriating things about both the anti-abortion and homophobic arguments: These self-righteous rabble-rousers don't actually give a damn about the children.

My former heterosexual partner, the mother of my daughter, had a child as a status statement. She didn't want a family. We had an early argument when my daughter was two months old. She wanted to put our child in daycare so that I could get a job and pay the rent. Of course, she was worth more in the marketplace, but heaven forbid she spend the money on our family endeavor. The effect of her proposal was that I should pay for childcare and rent so that she could spend her off-hours at the bar.

Booze, cocaine, flirting with the barflies. I sometimes tell a story called "The Eighteen Hour Diaper Run". She actually stopped me from going to the store to buy diapers. Said she would do it, instead. Took off with the child seat in her car, and did not return home for eighteen hours. Apparently, she ran into a friend at the bar while she was out.

Her father once called my mother to ask what the hell I was doing with his daughter's paychecks. Apparently, she told him that she turned her check over to me.

There was one night when a friend and I were watching nine children between us. Three of them were ours. His wife was at home, working on the electrical system for the Boeing 777; my partner and the mother who lived across the street "went to the store" together for several hours, coming home drunk. After about an hour, the father across the street disappeared, as well. My friend had brought his two sons to play with the boys across the street, and Emma Grace was playing with the girls. Suddenly, we found ourselves in charge of nine children, only three of which were ours.

When, toward the end of her maternity leave, my partner told me she was feeling better and was ready to get things started, I was ecstatic. I hadn't managed to adjust fully to being a homemaker (I never have). Unfortunately, what she was ready to get started was not our family adventure, but rather her new life as a respected mother among the barflies.

As our relationship dissolved to the point that my partner asked her father (our landlord) to kick me out of the house—under the pretense that it was my fault she wasn't paying him rent—she explained to me her parental priorities in terms of why she was never home: "The most important part of having a happy child is a happy mother."

For comparison, we might consider Dan Savage—one of America's most famous gay men—who once skipped out on a work-related party at a local bar in order to make an emergency delivery of ketchup. Terry was making macaroni and cheese for their kid and a couple of his friends, and there was no ketchup.

Fashion statement. The natural circle of things. My partner takes the car seat and leaves me without diapers for most of a day in order to be at the bar. The gay man skips the bar in order to make a rush delivery of ketchup and spend time with his kid.

Yeah. My partner is just one heterosexual (fake bi) woman. Dan Savage is just one gay man with a kid. Tell me, though, which one had a kid as a goddamn fashion statement?

What percentage of adopted children, period, grow up to be gay?

I, for one, am adopted. My parents are strictly heterosexual. I'm bisexual at least, and the way things are going I might actually bother to emerge from the closet for the last bastion left in ignorance, my parents and brother. Okay, my parents. My brother "doesn't know", but I think that's a willful choice. He'll deal with it when I put it in front of him. (There's actually a funny story to that, but we can save that for a more relevant occasion.)

In the United States, we are approaching a crisis point with willful paternal abandonment. I'm still searching for the numbers—they're mostly hidden behind subscription fees, it seems, but I'm probably just looking in the wrong place—but its in the hundreds of thousands.

One abstract reads, in part,

As to the mothers? I've recounted two who would weep for the loss of their children, but hold their own recreation as a higher priority than their children. Compared to mothers and fathers alike in the United States in general, they're hardly unique.

Believe that faery tale all you want, but please do the world a favor and don't teach it to your kids.

Damn. There's another faery tale. In the United States, we have a term for the people who use that argument: bigot.

Oh, hey. I see from Asguard's input, they have that word elsewhere in the English-speaking world, too.

Yeah, actually, it is what you said. If not, you're more than welcome to explain what the hell your point was in raising the issue of age of consent.

And, by the way, the age of consent, in the United States:

Hawaii: 14
    Idaho: 14
    Colorado: 15
    Connecticut: 15
    Mississippi: 16 (if the female is over age 12, this only applies to virgins)​

The majority of states in the US set their age of consent at age 16 or under.

The punch line here is obvious, you know.

How the hell is that any different than heterosexuality?

How the hell is that any different than heterosexuality?

What, do you have a shortage of children in your country? If so, congratulations.

Notes:

Balcom, Dennis A. "Absent fathers: effects on abandoned sons (Abstract)". Questia.com. http://www.questia.com/googleSchola...DDQHWsHKTR4fMqBy8!-725903841?docId=5001348916

14. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Tiassa, im glad you found this thread. I know its already at 3 pages and on the off chance you actually see this post i would be interested to see your assesment of the stated objective of the 2 bills. When i wake up tomorow i will try to find the hansard record of the debate if your interested. I have tried to post SOME of the laws that are to be changed but i will try to find the whole list. The two noticable exemptions are the marage act and the adoption act (ok im not sure if thats its proper title

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

15. phlogistician Banned Banned

Like being heartbroken 'cos a heterosexual lover dumps them? What's the difference?

16. superstring01 Moderator

What if the child doesn't like a hetero couple? Chilren love their parents. Adopted and natural. Humans need to love both in receiving and giving. That's a fact. They may also "hate" their parents for a time, but provided that the parents aren't total bastards and are worthy parents the child will go through the same emotional growth as they would with hetero or their birth parents. Besides, show me a kid who doesn't go through the "I hate my parents" stage. That's just life.

What if a straight couple doesn't like the child? Parents who adopt are a very rare, and very special bunch. My mom was my real mom, but my dad adopted me (my bio-dad was long gone when I was 9mos), so I'm not really in the same boat as an orphan. Adoption is such a long and drawn out process that anybody who endures the Nazi-torture-esque process is rare and any parent, gay or straight, who would endure such a tribulation in order to adopt an unwanted child, has to be respected. We can sit here and pigeon-hole the process and play "what-if's" till the cows come home, but whatever variable exists for gay couples also exists for the straight ones, and if we follow that Ocham's Razor to it's sharpest point, then nobody would be able to adopt.

~String

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Luci, by what I'm reading, your mother was a better parent than any gay person could be simply because she was straight. If you wanted to adopt a child, I don't think you would be allowed to simply because you swing.

Is it a morality issue or do you think gay people are bad parents who could never love a child as much as a straight person could?

18. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

orlenader, in your marrage, do you have mum AND dad, or DAD and DAD?

a child needs mummy and daddy not daddy and daddy or mummy and mummy!

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so no single people should be allowed to adopt either?

And just because I grew up with a Mom and Dad doesn't mean it should be the gold standard for child adoption. My life should not be the blueprint for others.

20. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i could answer that but i dont want to be flamed!!

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Luci, was your mom the only parent you grew up with?

22. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

no, my mum and dad divorced but i had a step dad why?

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Because you say a kid needs a Mom and dad. You had that and your childhood sucked. I think it would have been better with 2 loving parents no matter what sex they were. The sex of the parent doesn't matter near as much as the love of the parent.