Are you surprised??

Discussion in 'Politics' started by LORD_VOLDEMORT, Mar 17, 2008.

1. LORD_VOLDEMORT Banned Banned

That the majority of the people making a big deal about Jeremiahs Wrights comments seem to be conservative white men and women? or a Republican?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Seriously,the media conservatives are exaggerating,twisting the mans words up,cutting people off who have positions that are against there own,screaming and yelling at people,the anger is an indication of something they may be subconsciously unaware of.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Isn't there another thread on the subject?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. LORD_VOLDEMORT Banned Banned

Yes,but that one kind of ran its course,but then again if someone wants to place this message in there go for it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

8. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

9. countezero Registered Senior Member

How are people twisting what the man said? The Media is playing clips of it. Either you agree with the man or you don't. I'm willing to be most Americans don't.

10. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

Commenting here since I'm probably too late for that other thread

Obama denouncing his friend is rather disappointing to me. I don't want him to cave in to controversy like this. He just denounces what he says in Republican fashion. What his friend said was arguable and not something you can dismiss out of hand, and they were seemingly said with good intentions. I'm surprised Obama can't side with someone who said America bears responsibility for it's foreign policy.

11. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

Out of context clips. None of them that I've seen have said anything in Wright's defense.

12. countezero Registered Senior Member

Look, I've said I hate the whole guilt by association game, but this is getting ridiculous...

And that's complete bullshit. It's not arguable that the US created AIDS to kill black people. Sorry. It's not. It's not arguable that the US govt. lied about Pearl Harbor and let the Japanese attack ... and there is a host of other nonsense that can easily be debunked that this fool of a pastor said.

He said more than that. He said America deserved what it got on 9/11. Do you believe that? What's more, do you think someone running for president can believe that and get elected?

First of all, it's not the media's job to defend Wright. Secondly, I don't know what media you're watching, but everything I've seen has some boob trying to "defend" Wright or put his remarks into "context." Finally, I fail to see any context where lies, fabrications and demagoguery suddenly become acceptable forms of self-expression. Much of what this man said would qualify as "hate speech" if the descriptors were changed...

13. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

Well, I didn't hear all of that. If his facts are wrong it isn't a huge deal to me. As for the 9/11, take it with some context. Did the victims deserve to die? No, and I don't think he meant that. Did the US ever deserve to be lashed back at? Arguable. (and no I don't condone it). He seems to be suggesting responsibility for our country's actions, which is a worthwhile effort.

If you were running for President and the media finds a family member, or, say, your old college roommate believes in 9/11 conspiracy theories, should that matter? Should you really have to insult your friend in front of the country...? Every normal person knows someone with some strange beliefs.

14. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Why do we tolerate any of them?

Source: Unclaimed Territory
    Link: http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/03/17/wright/index.html
    Title: "The difference between Jeremiah Wright and radical, white evangelical ministers", by Glenn Greenwald
    Date: March 17, 2008

I've largely missed out on this controversy in part because the extended electoral season has proven exhausting, and also because I expect these issues to be alive and kicking in the weeks and months ahead. Indeed, the arguments might simply get louder and more ferocious the closer we get to November.

The thing is that I have no reason to argue that Rev. White isn't extreme. From all accounts, he sounds pretty damn nutty to me. I am, indeed, disappointed that the likely Democratic candidate panders to zealots and hatemongers. But Glenn Greenwald, whose blog I read regularly via RSS, checked in with an interesting point that, as long as we expect our candidates to kowtow to the zealots and hatemongers, ought to be considered:

I feel I should note that Mr. Greenwald may have missed any number of liberals who have used phrases like "anti-American" and "America-hating" to describe any number of people including the late Jerry Falwell, the inimitable Pat Robertson, the moronic George W. Bush, the hateful Karl Rove, and the evil Donald Rumsfeld. True, most of the time liberals use the phrases bitterly and with sarcasm, or in a context that is deliberately and poisonously ironic. But even if liberals really were capable of the kind of jingoistic, self-deceiving hatred that lends such fuel to the phrases, nobody would take them seriously.

Well, okay: conservatives looking to score cheap rhetorical points would pretend to take them seriously, but only to go on with that finger-wagging, "How dare you!" routine which we can only wish they could carry out with deliberate and poisonous irony.

Nonetheless, I'm surprised that it takes a controversy about some hitherto third-tier alleged extremist like Jeremiah White before we can even begin to have a conversation about the likes of Falwell, Robertson, or Hagee.

Greenwald also makes the point that some who are arguing against White yet in favor of the Falwells, Robertsons, and Hagees (e.g., Mr. Douthat) are "wildly understating the magnitude of the association between 'anti-American' white evangelicals and Republican leaders." He points out that President Bush apparently consulted with Robertson about matters including the invasion of Iraq, and Falwell on the question of Supreme Court nominations. Hagee apparently has private meetings with White House officials about Middle East affairs.

And we should note that these "Christian Rapture enthusiasts" really are a bizarre form of extremism unto themselves. I recently transcribed a portion of Michelle Goldberg's appearance in Seattle last year promoting her book Kingdom Coming, and I will reproduce part of that transcript here:

The audio ought to be available at that link; jump to twenty-eight minutes or so for that portion. Also in that talk, she addressed the subject of a convention called "Reclaiming America for Christ", a get-together sponsored by the Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church in Fort Lauderdale, a place where you can see people like Dan Quayle and Mike Huckabee place their hands on their hearts and recite the Pledge of Allegiance ... to the Christian Flag. And this sort of theocratic extremism—complete with its pledge mocking the American Pledge of Allegiance—somehow slips under the radar.

The fact is that "America" is a mere convenience to these Christian zealots. When Francis Schaeffer called for the violent overthrow of the American government—at least, according to his son—"he was invited to lunch with presidents Ford, Reagan and Bush, Sr." And whether or not we appreciate Rev. Wright's comments in particular, it seems strange to someone like me that, suddenly, when he is a black minister supporting and in contact with a black candidate, now we're suddenly supposed to be outraged.

These preachers are poison. This "religion" is poison. In the end, though, it's going to be a while, and take some effort, to exorcise such demons from such spheres of influence. So we can look at it like canceling factors: we'll strike Wright from our consideration of Obama in return for ignoring Hagee and McCain. But even that isn't necessary. In the end, Senators Obama and McCain represent themselves in certain ways. And if I hold Obama to his representations, and he delivers, things get better. If I hold McCain to his representations and he delivers, things will continue to fall apart. It's pretty sad that this is the gamble we have to take with our votes, but my neighbors just aren't up to mass protests in the streets and even a few riots here and there to drive the point home, so change will come slowly if at all.

In the meantime, the desperation of this issue should stand as a clear indicator how bad things have gotten. That this discussion should even be necessary is sickening.

See Also:

Douthat, Ross. "Falwell and Wright". TheAtlantic.com. March 17, 2008. http://rossdouthat.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/03/falwell_and_wright.php

Klein, Ezra. "Wright and Falwell". Prospect.org. March 15, 2008. http://www.prospect.org/csnc/blogs/ezraklein_archive?month=03&year=2008&base_name=wright_and_falwell

Corn, David. "McCain's Spiritual Guide: Destroy Islam". MotherJones.com. March 12, 2008. http://www.motherjones.com/washington_dispatch/2008/03/john-mccain-rod-parsley-spiritual-guide.html

Colmes, Alan. "McCain's 'Spiritual Guide': America Founded To Destroy Islam". LiberalLand. March 14, 2008. http://liberalland.com/2008/03/14/mccains-spiritual-guide-america-founded-to-destroy-islam/

KUOW.org. "Michelle Goldberg: The Rise of Christian Nationalism". Speakers Forum. October 18, 2007. http://www.kuow.org/defaultProgram.asp?ID=13646

Schaeffer, Frank. "Obama's Minister Committed 'Treason' But When My Father Said the Same Thing He Was a Republican Hero". Huffington Post. March 16, 2008. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/frank-schaeffer/obamas-minister-committe_b_91774.html

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  15. LORD_VOLDEMORT Banned Banned

What the hell are you talking about??? It is argued what your claiming it is not argued about and has been argued about it for years.You are just in denial like most these brainwashed conservatives,i watched you get eaten into smitherins in the obamas pastors post kid.You need to wake the hell up and realize what the WORLD has been saying for years outside the U.S.Just recently as of years ago(republican rule)has there been an ever growing u.s population of people who are raising questions about the crooked government.Alex jones host a site titled infowars were his membership is growing at a disturbing alarming rate,the man has proved so much shit with contradictions of 2 tapes of a politician or the president saying 1 thing and turning to say the other,provided documents,links,references it is crazy.I'd like to bring ole Alex here and i promise you that man will demolish your entire poor logic with his argument,i have seen him in action on a 1 on 1 with a brainwashed american,they can never stand up against ole Alex,regardless if what he says is true or false,the unique thing about him is how they always fail to prove his argument is false.

16. LORD_VOLDEMORT Banned Banned

WHHHAAAT?? The media even the most liberal are against wright,there are blogs of people who are not of the media that are mostly saying these things wright said have truths to it and even many of them are against it,however his approach to the issue was wrong yet what he said had truth to it or has been said to have truth to it.This country is still dominated by conservatives so they are raising pure hell out of a subconscious unawareness of a feeling of guilt that causes one to respond aggressively,exaggerating,being totally inconsiderate to the opposite argument due to hitting the defense so much which is another indication of guilt.The mans speech approach was beyond horrible,it was offensive and cruel and i have stated plenty times for someone to become receptive to your argument or position or the facts as many claim the approach must alwys include tact.What wright said is what Alex Jones has been saying for years,yet his approach is not hostile,damning the entire country and saying we need to be nuked by bombs.

17. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

Great post Tiassa. I wish the Obama camp would respond similarly to the Greenwald style. Maybe it would even earn Obama points among Democrats for going against McCain in a strong fashion.

Pretty damning example of conservative bias in the media. This is getting reminiscent of swift boating... A ridiculous accusation that does not stand up to scrutiny, but is kept alive by the media and the candidates failure to end it. Obama needs to reframe this to the sensible way of Greenwald and others.

18. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Yeah but what's not mentioned is that Hagee, though very concerned about the rise of radical Islam, to my knowledgeis not intentionally and openly pitting blacks against whites in this country like Wright.

Also worth noting is that even though there are Islamic terror attacks all over the world, Wright has been duped into thinking without white america it will all go away. or is this another case of the conveience of a "common enemy"?

Would Wright die for Christ before converting to Islam? I hope we never have to find out.

19. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

Here's an un-deniable fact. Whites are more socially mature when it comes to accepting a intergrated society. From the moment they're born, they're told that they're honorable, historicaly triumphant, inventive, however, you're also racist. So it's your job to prove to society that you're not. While in constrast, Blacks are taught the opposite. From the moment they're born, they're taught that they've been the victoms through-out history. That no blacks could read or write prior to the white man teaching them, that they have no historical achievements to feel proud of. And lastly, they're taught that Blacks can't be racist.

So Blacks don't carry the burden of being viewed as racist like Whites do. And it's evident throughout our culture. Black Comedians get away with shit that white comedians can only dream of saying. That's because as a society we sub consciencely embrace and perpetuate these myths, that whites are inherently racist, and blacks are inherently tolerant. And that's why day after day, you hear blacks on TV say things that Whites simply can't say. Because they've been taught that no matter what they say, they can't be racist, and it's all whiteys fault.

So this is why Blacks say the things in the public arena that most whites are repulsed by. They're under the illusion that they can't be racist, and this is one issue the Black community needs to address immediately. Hell, the Black rappers have, back in the late 80's & early 90's, Rap was full of anti-white rhetoric. Once they found out that White kids were the ones responsible for all their bling, they quickly annexed any anti-white lyrics from their albums, because they realized that whites aren't as racist as they thought. Anyways, i'm going to end it there. Hopefully you get my point.

20. countezero Registered Senior Member

Do you have any proof of anything you claim? Or like this pastor wants, should we just accept your puerile rant at face value?

21. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

What's wrong with Conservatives? And frankly, though I am not American, if I had to choose between Republicans or DemocRATS, I'd choose Republicans.

22. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Wow no way, unitl now your slant was not apparent to me at all

23. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

A difficult consideration

It's a bit of a sticky consideration that is very easy to get wrong. So easy, in fact, that I'm more likely to get it wrong than right. But, having said that, a prerequisite to understanding the context of "white America" is to accept that the phrase refers to an ideological correlation in history. If we look to such notions as the correlation between Protestantism and capitalism (Weber) and the inevitability of exploitation in capitalism (Marx), and then consider the fact that a significant part of that exploitation has occurred against nonwhite people at home and abroad, as well as the suggestion that white victims of exploitation (e.g. Irish Catholics) have had an easier time—by the superficial virtue of their pigmentary deficiencies—working their way up the ladder to join the exploiting class, the question of race and ethnicity in justice asserts itself more apparently.

The historical tale of a certain set of ideas coincides with the kind of social progress among European-descended peoples in such a manner that the late William F. Buckley° once wrote,

The central question that emerges ... is whether the White community in the South is entitled to take such measures as are necessary to prevail, politically and culturally, in areas where it does not predominate numerically? The sobering answer is Yes—the White community is so entitled because, for the time being, it is the advanced race.

Thus, while our era of critical parsing might find fault in contemporary denunciations of "white America", the idea existed before the Reverend Wright, and was even celebrated. Was "white America" not so influential in the last hundred years of world history, perhaps it would be harder to suggest a connection between the ethics of that culture and the effects—poverty, injustice, strife—that seem so clearly required by the mechanisms raising the culture to influence.

Or so says my two cents.

Notes:

° William F. Buckley — The quote is attributed to Buckley circa 1957; see Making Light.