Your Animal Attack Stories

I got attacked by a freaking turkey once when I was about 12years old. I was riding my bike through a path in the woods looking for my little brother when a turkey come running out of the woods from nowhere. It was running along side of me gobbling like crazy and trying to peck at my legs. I remember thinking to myself, Oh my GOD this is a turkey. Where did it come from. I just peddled and screamed until I our ran it. Up until that point I thought that turkeys only lived on farms. A freaking turkey...whatta ya know!

Fraggle Rocker said:
African Greys are the best mimics. I always tell women that if their husbands aren't diligent about fixing stuff they should get a Grey. They learn to make the sounds of the squeaking doors and thumping pipes, ONLY MUCH MUCH LOUDER AND MORE OFTEN. They're not exactly rare, though, they're almost as easy to breed as chickens. It's a lot of work though, they have to be hand-fed from the day their eyes open in order to imprint on humans. Large commercial breeding operations have the advantage with employees working in shifts instead of a private breeder having to get up several times a night for feedings just like a human baby.

All of the larger psittacines including macaws, cockatoos, etc. have potentially impressive life expectancies. However all birds are so fragile with their hollow bones and primitive immune systems, all the weight stripped off of them for flight. It's not easy to keep them from suffering an ignominious death due to a common infection or a household accident. To love birds is to live with nearly constant grieving.

Don't even think about loving birds and dogs in the same lifetime.
I wish I had the time & money to have a tropical bird greenhouse. They need so much time and care. My former boss has a macaw and was told it could live to 100. I'll stick with my 17 year old cat Lucy!

Roman said:
When I was in the 4th grade, I was deep in the Bornean rainforest with my family, at a research station. One night, when we were in the food hut, all sorts of bugs started crawling out of the floorboards. Big, nasty mean bugs, like 13 inch centipedes, spiders, etc. Then we realized it was because marauding fire ants were swarming under the hut and getting into our food.

So the head researcher gets out a propane tank, a piece of metal tubing, and an aluminum pipe, hooks it all together and voila, instant flamethrower. Then he waded out to fight the swarm, bursts of fire illuminating hundreds of thousands of black, glistening ant bodies. It looked like very dark water pouring towards him, then breaking about the spouting flame to rush at his feet.

Eventually he beat the fire ants at their own game.

In the morning there were tens of thousands of still twitching casualties, warped by flame. It was pretty bad ass.

I've been chased by grizzlies. Once on a whitewater river in ANWR, I had pulled over to dump my boat out, right as a grizzly crested a nearby ridge, saw us in the water, and bared straight for us. We all quickly got back in the boats, of course, but the griz just kept coming. He followed us for a ways as we struggled through class III and IV water, until finally it took off.

I've also been stalked by grizzlies along the foothills of the Brooks Range. They like to hide in fog. Everytime a fog bank would roll over, then roll out, the damned bear would be closer. One morning we woke up to a grizzly and her almost 3 full grown cubs, charging our camp from about a mile away at a full gallop.

Had a lot of run ins with moose, biking in the winter time. Been charged by a few. Had to ditch everything and run into the woods. Then the damned beast guarded my bike and pack until I chased her calf off with snowballs. Ran into bulls, too. They like to show off what bad asses they are by kicking. Moose are terryfingly nimble. They're the size of cars and kick like Chuck Norris.
The Borneo rainforest? ANWAR? The Brooks Range? Bulls? If you are serious you win the most exciting animal encounters so far!

pasquala said:
I got attacked by a freaking turkey once when I was about 12years old. I was riding my bike through a path in the woods looking for my little brother when a turkey come running out of the woods from nowhere. It was running along side of me gobbling like crazy and trying to peck at my legs. I remember thinking to myself, Oh my GOD this is a turkey. Where did it come from. I just peddled and screamed until I our ran it. Up until that point I thought that turkeys only lived on farms. A freaking turkey...whatta ya know!
They are alot bigger than most people think. I would scream.

Oh yeah, I once got chased by geese when we were feeding the ducks at the pond. Being chased by a goose is really scary when you're 4!

ANWR. Alaska National Wildlife Refuge. The "war" in ANWR comes from it being hard to pronounce three consonants in a row. And petroleum. ;)

Here's my pappy on the Hula Hula:
f729fc8f.jpg

Nothing digital of Borneo, unfortunately, though I think my name's on a paper that was published about arthropod distribution in the canopy.

Absane said:
I am 22... and I have never been the victim of an animal attack. However I do recall throwing rocks at a girl once.

I'm 36 and it hasn't happened to me either; unless you count the various ambushes my cats have subjected me to.

Roman said:
ANWR. Alaska National Wildlife Refuge. The "war" in ANWR comes from it being hard to pronounce three consonants in a row. And petroleum. ;)

Here's my pappy on the Hula Hula:
f729fc8f.jpg

Nothing digital of Borneo, unfortunately, though I think my name's on a paper that was published about arthropod distribution in the canopy.
Umm, I'm having trouble swallowing this. I pictured you as a 16 year old high school skater wearing a Tool t-shirt and sporting an Iron Cross tatoo on the left side of the neck. I'm impressed! My most exotic destination was Tijuana. :rolleyes:

Genji said:
Umm, I'm having trouble swallowing this. I pictured you as a 16 year old high school skater wearing a Tool t-shirt and sporting an Iron Cross tatoo on the left side of the neck.

Hahaha. Good. Let's keep it that way.

That's badass, Roman. I wish I had some stories like that. Those descriptions are amazing, btw. The glistening ant bodies and how they looked like dark water until they were torched into oblivion. Badass.

I've been stung by multiple bees and wasps on numerous occasions. I found out the hard way that I'm highly allergic to bumble bee stings, and red wasp stings give me a migraine headache.

I think the funniest attck I've ever encountered from an animal was when I was hiking, and ran into a hognose snake laying accross a trail. I love snakes, and love catching them- when I went to grab it, the snake didn't move at all, and made a really loud "HISSS!"
What shocked me about it was how loud and sudden it was. Also-- snakes don't make any sound at all except for whatver sound comes from the grass/leaves being moved around, and rattlesnakes--- but this snake actually hissed.
It's was my understanding the hognoses aren't poisonous, but I have never heard a snake make a sound like that before (it also didn't say anything about it in the field guide)- I was terrified to touch it, and left it alone.

Back