Why free healthcare ain't happening

jmpet

Valued Senior Member
The greatest generation is retiring and starting to die out. Twenty percent of America is going on permanent vacation. There is no reason to doubt that healthcare in America will grow 20% in the next 10 years- this is what we should be investing in- not the drugs, but in the jobs that this will demand to be filled and the buildings that house the elderly and sick.

Some decade or more after that, as the greatest generation starts to die out and right about where healthcare becomes a dying field... somewhere in there free healthcare for all Americans will kick in.

Only then will it be more profitable to provide free services- and sustain an industry- rather than tear down walls; only then will it make sense on paper.

It already makes sense in most western nations. Most western nations adopted universal health care decades ago. The US is the odd man out (again), and American people continue to suffer as a result.

Other western nations face exactly the same problem of an aging population as the US does, but they are getting on with the job while the US continues to pander to those who can afford private care at the expense of those who cannot.

No one is suggesting free health care, unless you are too poor to afford it, which the greatest generation is (generally) not.

A point of fact, the so called greatest generation has been retired for the last 20 years. It is the Baby Boomers who are starting to retire now. And has been pointed out, healthcare is not free it must be paid by someone.

Other industrial countries have already had this discussion and arrived at a much better model than currently is in place in the US by almost any standard. It is now time for the US to upgrade its healthcare system.

Other industrial countries have already had this discussion and arrived at a much better model than currently is in place in the US by almost any standard. It is now time for the US to upgrade its healthcare system.

Thangs will stay the sam until the pane of doin nuthin is grater than the fear of change... ie... not quite enuff people are hurtin enuff for real change to occur... it coud take a few mor years.!!!

Twenty percent of America is going on permanent vacation.

That's why I plan to jump ship and move to some place like Finland.

The more I look at it, the more I ask myself what's with this "retirement" mentality. You hit 65 and think that you're productive live is over and you can just "check out" for your remaining years. If you hit that age, feel like you have the RIGHT to check out, and don't have enough money, well then you just become a liability on society. And, I feel that's what going to happen.

As for me, I see no plans to ever retire. I can't just sit down all day watching TV or fish 5 days a week.

Other western nations face exactly the same problem of an aging population as the US does,

The universal healthcare debate has nothing to do with the aged.

The US already provides universal healthcare to every citizen over the age of 65, and has done so for almost 45 years now.

And, by the way, other Western nations face much more severe greying issues than does the US.

Back