Why do people believe in God?

So if you believe in only one number 1 God, you are atheist to all the other number 1 Gods, no?
Somewhat of a nonsense question, to be fair.
Your question implies that there might be more than one original cause, more than one creator etc. That idea is nonsense, which hopefully you realise?

Let me be clear: if there was a "number 1 God", by which I assume one means creator, original cause etc, then there is only 1. By definition. After that, all people disagree about is the name of God.
If in one religion YHWY is considered to be the original cause, and in another Omega is considered to be the ultimate cause, then by definition they must be the same. The disagreement is about name, about revelation, and about non-number 1 attributes that are ascribed to that idea of God.

Somewhat of a nonsense question, to be fair.
Your question implies that there might be more than one original cause, more than one creator etc. That idea is nonsense, which hopefully you realise?
No, my question implies that many religions believed in different creator gods, most of which have been relegated to mythology.

And if one does no longer believe in a particular god, he/she is atheist in regard to that god
Let me be clear: if there was a "number 1 God", by which I assume one means creator, original cause etc, then there is only 1. By definition. After that, all people disagree about is the name of God.
That may be the logical argument, but that is not the case in reality. Hundreds of religious wars have been fought over who's god is the "true" god.
If in one religion YHWY is considered to be the original cause, and in another Omega is considered to be the ultimate cause, then by definition they must be the same. The disagreement is about name, about revelation, and about non-number 1 attributes that are ascribed to that idea of God.
By definition they should be considered the same god "by any other name", but as I tested this perfectly sound argument, this is not the case in the real world.

And here is one confirmation of my experience.

WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN ALLAH AND THE GOD OF THE CHRISTIAN BIBLE?​

BY SPIRIT & TRUTH | SEP 12, 2013 | ALLAH BETWEEN BIBLE CHRISTIAN DIFFERENCES FAQ GOD

Q: “Allah” is the word used to translate the word “God” in the Arabic translations of the Bible. Doesn’t that mean that Muslims believe that Allah is the same God as the Christian God?

A:No one is disputing whether or not Allah is the Arabic word for God.

It is not the similarities, but the differences that count.
more......
This list could be multiplied many times over, but there is no point. We have a saying, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it is a duck.

God and Allah do not walk alike or quack alike. They are not the same and anyone who tries to say they are is blind to these obvious

differences.

To my knowledge, most Moslems do not say that Allah and the God of the Jews and Christians are the same being, which is a major reason Moslems count Christians as “infidels.” Why would they say that if they really believed we were worshipping the true God?

I believe what you are talking about is Omnism

Omnism is the belief in all religion. Those who hold this belief are called omnists. In recent years, the term has been resurfacing due to the interest of modern-day self-described omnists who have rediscovered and begun to redefine the term. Omnism is similar to syncretism, the belief in a fusion of faiths in harmony.

Last edited:
Trek:

In your most recent reply to me, you doubled down on your evasion of my questions. You also falsely claimed several times that I had not answered certain questions you asked me, and you further accused me of dishonestly shifting goalposts, which I did not do.

You called me a bully. You also tried to insult me again, several times. You implied that I haven't been saying sensible things after I put some effort in trying to answer you in a way that you would understand by trying to give you simple examples and basically dumbing down some of my prior explanations to try to help you. You asked "What's wrong with you?", as if you have somehow identified a mental deficiency in me, which is insulting. You again tried to insult my intelligence, asking "Which part didn't you understand?" about something I quite clearly understood. In a previous post to you, I explicitly asked you nicely not to do that.

What comes through most clearly, however, is that you never really wanted to have a conversation with me in the first place and you don't want to have one now. I think you're essentially a small-target troll who isn't posting in good faith. You're clearly trying to goad me into responding angrily to you, which is the typical modus operandi of the internet troll.

In response to my asking you what you think about some specific ideas and propositions I put to you, here is a selection of your responses:

"I did answer the question. Which part didn't you understand?"
"I've given you my answer."
"Maybe. Maybe not. What does it matter to you?"
"Over time you may get to understand why."
"Why don't you just let it go?"
"That wasn't the point of my question."

You also made some requests of me:
"... youre a bully who doesn't know when to back off."
"Why don't you just let it go?"
"I'm here minding my own business..."
"Stop interrogating..."

Okay. I will do as you wish. I will stop "interrogating" you, Trek. I've lost any interest in interacting directly with you, anyway. With your deliberate evasiveness, it's like trying to get blood out of a stone anyway.

You had your chance. You blew it.

Ok so that's Yhwh but say there others? Now today? Why could there only be one? Why not a hierarchy like Valhalla?
They would all be one God, but different aspects, just like you have one, two, five, etc…They are merely multiples of one. But without one, there cannot be two, or even a trillion.

They would all be one God, but different aspects, just like you have one, two, five, etc…They are merely multiples of one. But without one, there cannot be two, or even a trillion.
Ok fair enough.

I do not think the universe needs a god to explain itself.

There ARE things that need explain about the cosmos but we will not get that from the gods IMO

No, my question implies that many religions believed in different creator gods, most of which have been relegated to mythology.

And if one does no longer believe in a particular god, he/she is atheist in regard to that god

That may be the logical argument, but that is not the case in reality. Hundreds of religious wars have been fought over who's god is the "true" god.

By definition they should be considered the same god "by any other name", but as I tested this perfectly sound argument, this is not the case in the real world.

And here is one confirmation of my experience.

WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN ALLAH AND THE GOD OF THE CHRISTIAN BIBLE?​

BY SPIRIT & TRUTH | SEP 12, 2013 | ALLAH BETWEEN BIBLE CHRISTIAN DIFFERENCES FAQ GOD

I believe what you are talking about is Omnism

I agree with most of what you wrote.

If all the gods are just facets of one creator why are they so incompatible with each other? Give completely different instructions to their nominated tribes?

Ancient tribes inventing their bespoke god makes more sense than one highly contradictory god.

Ok fair enough.

I do not think the universe needs a god to explain itself.

There ARE things that need explain about the cosmos but we will not get that from the gods IMO
I don’t think a car needs a manufacturer to explain itself.

I don’t think a car needs a manufacturer to explain itself.

Yes it does. Which manufacturer built that car? The God named "Evolution" also builds stuff and keeps improving it and I have not read anywhere that "in the beginning" God created cars along with the universe.​

The Blind Watchmaker

The Blind Watchmaker: Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe without Design is a 1986 book by Richard Dawkins, in which the author presents an explanation of, and argument for, the theory of evolution by means of natural selection.

Check out Newton's Law of Motion.​

Sir Isaac Newton’s laws of motion explain the relationship between a physical object and the forces acting upon it. Understanding this information provides us with the basis of modern physics.

p.s. Have you ever considered what keeps YOU alive? It isn't God. It's bacteria!​

Last edited:
So where do you think the one came from?

Yes it does. Which manufacturer built that car?
My point is you can still work things out about the car without knowing that it is manufactured. You may not completely understand the car, what is is for,’or it’s purpose in life, but science can take place.
The God named "Evolution" also builds stuff and keeps improving it and I have not read anywhere that "in the beginning" God created cars along with the universe.
I’m not implying anything about the manufacturer, or God

I think the one is the foundation, the principle, the truth upon which everything is based
A good friend of mine once told me that God is Love, and the universe is the physical manifestation of that love.

I'm sure he also thought he told me something meaningful.

We're still good friends.

A good friend of mine once told me that God is Love, and the universe is the physical manifestation of that love.

If we can talk and be friends then we have advanced

I agree with your friend.
So am I.
But I also understand this sentiment of yours.
I hope so.
There is no reason, based on that expression of your friend, for you not to be.

So... but for God... no child would ever be murdered.!!!
Does that fact strengthen you'r belief in God.???
Do you think chickens and cows should be reared to be slaughtered for our the benefit of our taste buds?

Objectively speaking, what is the difference between slaughtering pigs and slaughtering children?

Did you use “child” as opposed to just “murder” to add more emotional baggage to your question, or is there a good reason for your choice of victim?

Belief in God is not based on irrational emotion.
Emotion lead reasons are fleeting.
I accept that people murder other people.
I have no intention of slaughtering any form of life for my satisfaction. I believe plants, fruits, grain, nuts, etc, are not only adequate to sustain my life, but delicious if prepared nicely

Back