Was I banned or not?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Beer w/Straw, Jun 1, 2022.

1. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

I posted some unpleasant things awhile ago and then couldn't access the site some days later.

Then, I can.

What's with that?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Not sure but don't think banning was

I lost access for 3 days

What I did some sleuthing seems there is a clone of SciForum which throws real SciForum out of wack

Happy to be corrected if my sleuthing is incorrect

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

The site appeared to be down, Beer; I couldn’t access it either for a few days.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. foghorn Valued Senior Member

Sorry folks, it might have been I who brought the site down.

I was using my psychokinesis on the keyboard in reply to a post here, when I sneezed and the site disappeared from the screen.

candy, Michael 345 and sculptor like this.
  8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The site went down on Sunday evening, Pacific Time.

We don't get much communication from above about what runs awry; I have an internal superstition about license expiry, but haven't looked it up; it's something that happens at the end of a Linux distro, and part of what it looks like is that one thing will break at a time, and upgrade eventually becomes necessary. I have no idea what is running these servers, though, so that's just one idea.

I generally forget to thank site owners; we hear from them rarely enough that it becomes easy to forget. After twenty-three years, I would think I might worry more when the site disappears like that, but I'm always calm until it comes back, and then I let myself reflect on a future without this place.

So, our note to London is that we remain grateful for our little corner of the Internet.

But if I told the rest of you to fuck off, I doubt you would get the joke.

(Side note: I did actually find some oddball social media posts from people, announcing their crackpottery at Sciforums. A rule of thumb is that if you're announcing your new crackpottery at Sciforums via social media, it doesn't work. Even with Sciforums explicitly included, the algorithm never bothered to show me any of those socmed posts.)

9. foghorn Valued Senior Member

The license expiry thing, I checked that first and it expires 6 Feb 2023.
    Is it still the 'london' people who own this site, they hide the owners details where I check.
    ''But if I told the rest of you to fuck off, I doubt you would get the joke.'' They are keeping you here against your will and forcing you to mod, the bastards.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
  10. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

I can guess why I was banned - wouldn't be to hard But, just how much of an ass you are is, well, enough. I'm talking right now aren't I? Did you actually want to have a discussion with me?

You know wild wolves are smarter than domestic dogs? They deal with the shit while dogs get things handed to them. The internet is the shit here. Bell's wanted to make me feel guilty to prompting people to kill themselves by posting a hypothetical formula. This is all over the fucking internet... Anyone who watches TV shows knows the laws of physics enough...

So, I got banned for doing, nothing?

Wait, oh yes oh yes, I'm morally responsible for school shootings and invasions of other countries. Maybe the internet could be a way to sublimate/express yourself
    with no deaths involved?
    Did I prompt people to kill themselves, or, have you been taught to make your own narrative?

11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

When were you banned, Beer? The site server was down this week, for everyone. I believe if you’re banned from a site, you can still access it (providing it’s not down for maintenance or whatever) but you wouldn’t be able to log in. Not sure, but that’s my best guess.

12. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Let's ask, Bells, how many deaths I'm responsible for.

13. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

you were not banned
    the web site was off line for 3 days

your posting record shows the same time line

wegs likes this.
  14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Beer w/Straw:
    sciforums was down for a while - for everyone. On the other hand, you might have had a temporary ban recently. If you were banned, though, you would still be able to see sciforums. You'd just be unable to post under your normal user handle, and would get a message informing you of your temporary ban.

As for guessing why, there's no need. If you received a warning that led to a temporary ban, you would have received a private message from a moderator explaining what the warning was for, how many warning points you were given, etc. Being aware of how bans work would have made you aware that automatic bans are applied according to how many active warning points a user has when they receive a new warning. Our ban policy can be viewed in a sticky thread in the Site Feedback subforum.

If you received a warning message from Bells, or myself, or another moderator, and you are honestly confused about it, please try asking us to clarify by private messaging. We try to be clear about these things, but it could conceivably be the case that we didn't communicate clearly, or you misunderstood something, perhaps.

O. W. Grant likes this.
  15. O. W. Grant Registered Senior Member

Hi,

Early in April "my" forum about linguistics was attacked and in two days brought down. 2.5 years of work vanished. They say it will be back during the summer. Let it be.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022