That which endures......

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by scheherazade, May 24, 2011.

1. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

What is more enduring than the seasons? One of my favorite times of the year is cherry season!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Cherries went on sale today for $1.86 lb, down from $4.98 last week as they are hitting the end of a peak season and there is a glut of them. I grabbed about 10 lbs today and plan to get more tomorrow as we have pallets of them at the store. At home, I flashed them into a sink of cold water and stemmed them prior to freezing, my preferred means of dealing with most things these days. Usually, I freeze them entire but it occurred to me that if I had a pitter, that I could use them in my smoothies and protein shakes. These are less than half the price of the commercially frozen ones and have not been exposed to possible partial thawing and refreezing in transit and other logistical concerns.

Sent hubby an email asking if he could slip next door to the fancy kitchen wares shop on one of his breaks to get a decent implement for wifey and he replied within 30 minutes that they only carried one make but it looked like a good one (they carry only decent, durable goods), so he got it for me. He will be rewarded with fresh homemade bread, ready by the time he walks in the door this afternoon. I do so enjoy my kitchen tools and making our own food with them.

Here is the device that hubby is returning with...

[video=youtube_share;KXlQNbUPgdk]http://youtu.be/KXlQNbUPgdk[/video]

...and no, the blonde does not come with the pitter, lol.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

There were cooking tips here at the Sci a few weeks back, brought to us by our good friend MR, I remember one of the tips there was to use a paper clip to pit cherries, and I guess olives and any sort of small fruit with a stone. I'll bet your hubby can scrounge you a paper clip some where.

Sold in all the finest office supply stores near you!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Great tip, Arne, for a few dozen fruits but I am talking about pitting ALOT of cherries and my fingers would get tired holding onto a paper clip and cherry juice is very messy and stains easily. The OXO cherry pitter is a well thought out device and very ergonomically friendly. I am planning to buy a lot more cherries again tomorrow.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Don't like my cherry stoner? All right, Zade. I'm not done yet. Here's some music to stone cherries by. I like the retro 1930s swing beat it has. I've always loved the music of that era. (Way before my time!)

[video=youtube;92fggHUBs4g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92fggHUBs4g[/video]

8. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Very nice tune, Arne, and your cherry pitter was also very clever but maybe not quite suited to the volume I am contemplating. Here is another take on a cherry song, along with some dancing to give you a chuckle. I've got to get some sleep before graveyard shift tonight. Catch you on the flip side.

[video=youtube_share;2aHdZHPxkxA]http://youtu.be/2aHdZHPxkxA[/video]

9. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

1 of the most beautiful & interesting threads I've seen.

I sometimes think about what evidence of humans will endure after humans are gone & for how long. I wonder what future archaeologists from another planet would think & how accurate they would be.

10. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Thank you for the complement, StrangerIASL.

"Future archaeologists from another planet...", now there is an enduring thought for there are more than a few who might suggest that such a visitation has already occurred.

11. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

12. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

There Will Come Soft Rains
    by Sara Teasdale

There will come soft rains and the smell of the ground,
    And swallows circling with their shimmering sound;

And frogs in the pools, singing at night,
    And wild plum trees in tremulous white,

Robins will wear their feathery fire,
    Whistling their whims on a low fence-wire;

And not one will know of the war, not one
    Will care at last when it is done.

Not one would mind, neither bird nor tree,
    If mankind perished utterly;

And Spring herself, when she woke at dawn,
    Would scarcely know that we were gone.

13. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

How long will the traces of humanity endure, when we cease to maintain them? The following picture is a section of the White Pass & Yukon Railway, taken when I rode my horse along the right-of-way three weeks ago. The last time a train traveled this portion of the track was on October 10th, 1997, a special passenger run, by invitation only. If you look carefully at the photo, you will see my tracks on the sand bar, where I rode my horse across.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Pass_and_Yukon_Route

14. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

I have been told that ceramic items endure the longest, so besides vitreous radioactive waste containers, I'm thinking toilet bowls and ashtrays. How's that as a legacy for future extraterrestrial explorers cum archaeologists to find of us?

Assuming they work out what these items were, they would not be a bit surprised we are extinct. They'd surmise we were a self-indulgent race who spent most of its time smoking, sitting on the toilet, unconscionably powering our society in the most primitive, irresponsible way they had ever come across...

...and they'd be right!

15. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

must have been some carbon based paint in the smaller items, the bigger item may have been some sort of laundry receptacle as we have determined that there are trace amounts of urine in it, and everyone knows how well urine can clean clothes...

16. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

17. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Didn't quite no how to respond to your last. :shrug:

Well, back on topic, shall we?

18. sculptor Valued Senior Member

winter as prelude to spring
    the nanking cherries are the first to flower and fruit
    then come the violets and lilacs, apricots, plums and apples.

The nanking cherries held out late this year, lasting through the first coming of the raspberries and apricots
    and now, the blackberries beckon us into the tangle of vines and thorns to feast upon their sweet bounty
    the dog seems to think that god gave us hands so that we could gather the berries without getting thorns in our lips(so I always pick a few handfuls for her)

19. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I was thinking some might think I turned negative here but it lead to that great photo. Did you shoot it? I walked across several of those long ago. I see the horse tracks but would not have known if you hadn't mentioned it.

20. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I used a couple of those planters for years.

21. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Yes, the photo of the train tracks is my work. I carry an inexpensive little 'point and shot' when I am out riding and get a few shots along the way. The following picture was taken the same day, from the back of the palomino Morgan mare I was riding. The dunes in Carcross, Yukon are locally known as the world's smallest desert.

22. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

Nice shot, scheherazade. It's beautiful there, eh? How's the taxes? Anyway around them?

I've taken pictures of old tracks, and logging bridges, but I love old barns.

23. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Amazing the quality you can get with an inexpensive camera these days.
    That's a very good picture. I give it 10/10, and I'm not an easy-going judge.
    (The one over the horse's head.)

@Trooper.
    Are those Teasles?
    Plants, to right.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014