Spinning skyscrapers in Dubai

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the article:
Some see outlandish designs like these as a sign of an architectural apocalypse. "It makes me ill," says Eugene Kohn, principal at New York-based Kohn Pedersen Fox, a firm recognized for handsome, modernist -- albeit stationary -- designs. "Some of these buildings are going to the absurd."
the old fart should retire. If humans are capabale of doing something then they'll do it. Mostly just to see what happens.

MK-AJ399_TWIST_20070410184519.jpg

Wow, this would be awesome!

Wow, this would be awesome!
yeah, right up until some nerd either:
tries "Towers of Hanoi" with it or
paints the sides different colours and starts playing Rubik's Cube
:D

Don't y'all find it interesting that the Arabs use American architects to design their buildings? Is that 'cause the Arabs can't do it, can't learn it?

I mean, Arabs have been around for several gazillion years, you'd think that they would have learned a few things. Why is it that the whites have learned and can do so much more than the Arabs?

Baron Max

Don't y'all find it interesting that the Arabs use American architects to design their buildings? Is that 'cause the Arabs can't do it, can't learn it?

I mean, Arabs have been around for several gazillion years, you'd think that they would have learned a few things. Why is it that the whites have learned and can do so much more than the Arabs?

Baron Max

Well the Egyptians used slaves to build their pyramids too. :D

Well the Egyptians used slaves to build their pyramids too.

And did they pay them enormous sums of money for it? ...in American dollars?

Why are they Arabs so backward as relative to the western world? I've really wondered about that for a long time. At one time, back in the old days, they seemed to be progressing rapidly .....what the fuck happened?

Baron Max

I mean, Arabs have been around for several gazillion years, you'd think that they would have learned a few things. Baron Max
Seems like they have:
The proposed spinning towers follow a quiet campaign to build the tallest building in the world -- again -- in Dubai. Code-named "The Burj," or simply the Tower, the 240-story, one-kilometer-tall (3,281 feet) spire would beat out the currently under-construction Burj Dubai, which is slated to hit around 2,300 feet when complete in 2009. The taller Burj would be built by Nakheel Properties in Dubai.
As for this:
Don't y'all find it interesting that the Arabs use American architects to design their buildings?
The architect of the spinning tower is an Italian-Israeli, hired by an Athens-based developer and a Dubai real estate company. Don't y'all find it interesting that some Americans don't bother to read articles before shootin' their big gobs off?

Designer's video of the tower in action:
http://www.donklephant.com/2007/05/20/video-rotating-skyscraper-set-for-dubai

Baron Max
at least an arab can find his way home with nothing but a camel.

But it does need a very expensive satellite array in orbit and large electronics industry to create it.

When developers and architects have just too much money:

http://online.wsj.com/public/articl...x8lS4eK1518io_20070418.html?mod=regionallinks

The tallest building is also under construction there but an even taller one (1 kilometer high) is already planned...

Babel anyone????
Why would they even need a building that has each floor spinning? That's pretty excessive. Oil money is really that valuable?

paints the sides different colours and starts playing Rubik's Cube
:D
heh

Aside from looking fabulous, the spinning action generates enough energy to power 10 identical towers. Practical as well as eye-catching (and disgustingly materialistic).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back