Regional Linguistics

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by keith1, Jun 29, 2012.

1. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Wow...this thread shows just how hungry we are for a good debate around here. We're left to argue whether "dude" is an insult. (it was not, in this context) and the American and British spelling of offence/offense. Now all we need is a hobo playing the harmonica singing "no body knows the trouble I've seen" to make the desperation complete.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

it's dumbass, get your spelling right.

bottom line is, don't mess with the Holocaust here, sciforums got once so low as to ban a member based on a democratic poll of who wants him to be banned, simply because he was doing he right thing nobody wanted to hear or believe was correct or hear it might be correct or even open the possibility of it getting enough credibility as correct.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Unless you use the UK spelling of ass which is arse, unless it's a donkey.

But then that begs the question is it an ass or an arse that puts the ass in dumbass... After all, if you're an idiot you're an ass, but if you're obnoxious you're an arse.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

I agree
    Let's start a thread called DUDE Really, or something...
    I had hoped this thread would stay on topic..

8. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Seems I arsed up.

It's just Arse in the UK regardless of whether or not you're talking about a Donkey.

Oh well.

9. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

Well fiddle sticks! What does that make me I was born up north in America, an I Now live in redneckia east... :shrug:

Originally posted by Trippy
    You're all Yankees to us, so...

,an we are all Yanks!?? Uh there was a civil war. It helps us know weather or not we are Yanks. An there is a rebel flag for a reason..

10. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Yup, I'm afraid so.
    Yankee on Wiki. Outside the US, the term Yankee or Yank is applied to Americans in general.

11. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

Interesting article trippy...
    Here is something I learned there as well

The fictional character Thurston Howell, III, of Gilligan's Island, a graduate of Harvard, typifies the old Yankee elite in a comical way.

By the opening of the 21st century, systematic Yankee ways had permeated the entire society through education. Although many observers from the 1880s onward predicted that Yankee politicians would be no match for new generations of ethnic politicians, the presence of Yankees at the top tier of modern American politics was typified by Presidents George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush, and by Democratic National Committee chairman Howard Dean (as well, to some observers, by 2004 Democratic presidential nominee Senator John Forbes Kerry, descendant through his mother, of the Scottish Forbes family, which emigrated to Massachusetts the 1750s). President Barack Obama is of Yankee descent on his mother's side; his high school was Punahou School, founded to serve the children of Yankee missionaries to Hawaii.[17]

12. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

Guess I'm not just a yank, or yankee. I'm a damnyankee! But I do have some manners...Yankees are loud, verbally aggressive, arrogant without reason, denigrating, ignorant, demanding, xenophobic and possess no class or character.
    I don't think I fit that category to well. :shrug:

Damnyankee

The damned Yankee usage dates from 1812.[4] During and after the American Civil War (1861–1865) Confederates popularized it as a derogatory term for their Northern enemies. In an old joke, a Southerner alleges, "I was twenty-one years old before I learned that 'damn' and 'Yankee' were separate words." In fact, the spelling "damnyankee" is not uncommon. It became a catch phrase, often used humorously for Yankees visiting the South, as in the mystery novel, Death of a Damn Yankee: A Laura Fleming Mystery (2001) by Toni Kelner. Another popular although facetious saying is that "a Yankee is someone from the North who comes to the South for a visit and then goes back. A damn Yankee is someone from the North who comes to the South and stays there." A stereotypical trope held by some Southerners[citation needed] is that that Yankees are loud, verbally aggressive, arrogant without reason, denigrating, ignorant, demanding, xenophobic and possess no class or character.

13. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

What I find humerous about that is that it pretty much seems to sum up the stereotypical American tourist abroad - which may have something to do with how the term Yankee came to be applied to Americans in general.

14. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

(Hey "Red")
    I spent 3 years in the U.S. Army an 2 solid straight years in Germany.
    I don't see myself as a typical U.S. Yankee tourist. I was even mistaken as a German by more than a few.
    An my spell checker showed HUMOROUS. Is that another word spelling from Great Britain that you made?

15. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Naa, screwup on my part.

16. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

Oh :yawn: its 1220am here what time is it there Trippy?

17. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

4:38pm on Tuesday afternoon. Nearly time for me to go home.

18. Chipz Banned Banned

Ech... and you're all Chinese to us...

19. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

This might be meaningful if I was even Asian, but I'm not so it's a miss.

20. Chipz Banned Banned

I thought you were Indonesian.

21. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

no trippy is a proud maori, and never shall you forget it. heads rolled for the discerning of his lineage you know.

22. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

hmm, i thought my usage of the tongue out smily made my intention clear

as much as god denial is, lots of emotions are stake, i understand that.
    if you don't like god denial, then compare it to ongoing westren atrocities denial.

do i think hitler was exterminating jews, yes. do i believe the jewish version of it, which is pretty much the prevailing only existing version of it no. what do i believe then idk, but i'll do some serious research to separate the bs from the truth.
    besides hitler had scietific evidence for his extermination, which both jews and scientists were happy to never mention.

indeed, but when you have holocaust wailers breaking the site rules by demanding a holocaust critic to be banned and that single member not doing anything but being a law abiding thorn in everybody's side, the weak thing to do is to ban that member.
    and he was banned. i wonder if james remembers it, he's our captain spock here.

23. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

No on both counts.