Pot Growth isn't Green

Orleander

OH JOY!!!!
Valued Senior Member
If you really care about the planet, you shouldn't smoke weed. :m:

Marijuana: High on Megawatts

...When it comes to wasting megawatts, marijuana is the greatest offender. According to a 2011 study of indoor pot-growing operations, growers in the United States use about $5 billion worth of electricity to power lightbulbs, ventilation fans, dehumidifiers, and other appliances to mimic outdoor growing conditions. That's the output of seven large electrical power plants, or one percent of national electricity consumption, wrote Evan Mills, a staff scientist at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, who performed the study independently. Smoking a single joint, Mills wrote, is worth two pounds of carbon dioxide emissions....

If you really care about the planet, you shouldn't smoke weed. :m:

Marijuana: High on Megawatts

...When it comes to wasting megawatts, marijuana is the greatest offender. According to a 2011 study of indoor pot-growing operations, growers in the United States use about $5 billion worth of electricity to power lightbulbs, ventilation fans, dehumidifiers, and other appliances to mimic outdoor growing conditions. That's the output of seven large electrical power plants, or one percent of national electricity consumption, wrote Evan Mills, a staff scientist at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, who performed the study independently. Smoking a single joint, Mills wrote, is worth two pounds of carbon dioxide emissions....
Legalization come to mind . Grow it outside . It grows better that way too

Indeed

Me-Ki-Gal said:

Legalization come to mind . Grow it outside . It grows better that way too

Aye. With marijuana, most of the trouble it causes at present results from the fact of its prohibition. Greenhouses and solar-powered systems simply aren't feasible for growers right now.

so if they cared about the planet, shouldn't buyers quit buying?

Grow your own . Don't touch Me stash . Who cares about the planet ? Give Me weed or give Me death . Don't you know ? We can't do anything about the eventual out come . It is all Hypocrisy do good feel good stuff . You would have to give up modern life for things to change and sister that is not going to happen( In Spideys world it happens ) . Can you see a world were the lights are turned out permanent? No ! Reality check . All the people that don't have electricity and running water , Do you think they would want something like that? You see were this is going ? Technology might ward off some of the effects , but how much of that is really going to happen ( Remember the Tea Party ) Buy a bunch of 50 spf sun screen and call it a day

The dangers of technical questions

I would ask if the LEDs broadcast the proper spectrum, but answering that question would risk violating our rules against advocating criminal behavior.

Oh, well. I'll just have to look it up myself, and when I find out, well, I won't be able to tell anyone here.

so if they cared about the planet, shouldn't buyers quit buying?

Rationally, no. This is a classic case of the "personal choice" policy prescription going awry. Since most buyers know perfectly well that there's always going to be tons of demand, regardless of what they personally do, they're better off organizing and lobbying for legalization. The premise that the government should create a huge problem, and then the citizens should respond by working futilely to help the government avoid having to address that, is just perverse.

I would ask if the LEDs broadcast the proper spectrum, but answering that question would risk violating our rules against advocating criminal behavior.

Oh, well. I'll just have to look it up myself, and when I find out, well, I won't be able to tell anyone here.

Whence the presumption that marijuana cultivation is necessarily illegal? Plenty of legal cultivation going on for medical purposes, in all kinds of places.

And there are plenty of medical grow-ops that grow outdoors, exactly to be "green." So those who are worried about this and have access to such legal channels, would do well to support that.

And how many growers only grow for themselves? LOL They say its only for personal use, yet they have a full basement of it.

smokers don't care about the planet, they care about profit and their own personal high. Make it legal and row it like a crop? Then what? Pesticides, fertilizers, etc.

.most of the trouble it causes at present results from the fact of its prohibition...

Well then so does the problems with crack, cocaine and meth so why not legalize them as well? :shrug:

Correct, those should all be legal. Good point, Cosmic. :)

Let's go on then and have rape, murder and kidnapping legal as well, then we won't need police or jails and everyone would defend themselves just like in the good ol' days out west.

I was being cynical when I said that. I do hope you understand.

I do indeed understand cynicism, and am occasionally of similar bent.

My point was that legal or illegal does not change human nature where substance use and abuse of others is concerned.

A world of complete personal liberty and sufficient space, opportunity and resources for all would be my perfect fantasy, yet those of poor character would still impinge upon those merely enjoying life and going about their business, IMO.

There are some in this world who are irredeemable, also my opinion, and I offer no explanation for why this may be so, except that perhaps this is how nature maintains balance? :confused:

Let's go on then and have rape, murder and kidnapping legal as well,....

Except you are mixing things one does to oneself with things someone does to others.

Clearly they are not the same.

Regulation of these would all be preferable to making them illegal.

When my kids were in school, the easiest drugs for them to get were the ones that were illegal. Alcohol was more difficult for them to obtain then pot was.

Weed Growing is legal were I live . Course you got to get a green card . Does any one fined that amusing ? I think it is so so funny . I need a green card . I don't have one cause it is published in the news paper . My back , my hip , my foot , my hand , my arm . Old Carpenters are like old foot ball players .

So can I tell them . Better not .

Back