Picture of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
i agree enmos
some of us do not have a choice of habitat
shall i punish sam for her callous flippancy?

Needs to be reported to the Natural Birds Nest Association, if you ask me

Now here is an ingenious bird

swift_charlie.jpg

Perhaps the strangest nests of all are those built by the species of Swiftlet in the genus Collocalia. They nest in caves and build their nests of saliva. To do this they have enlarged salivary glands during the breeding season. To make them even more amazing, these Swiflets often nest in pitch dark caves. They are able to do this by using echolocation, similar to bats. Quite a few species use saliva in their nests to glue various materials together. Three species however, Collocalia fuciphaga, C. esculenta and C. maxima, produce nests made almost entirely, or entirely, out of saliva. These are the nests used by Chinese chefs to prepare bird nest soup, one of the more expensive and tasteless dishes in the world. The nests are collected from Niah caves and though collecting is controlled by law, it still results in a huge and unnecessary death of eggs and young birds.

Needs to be reported to the Natural Birds Nest Association, if you ask me

Now here is an ingenious bird

swift_charlie.jpg

Wow, interesting picture SAM. At first glance I thought it was a Swallow. Do you know if they are related ?

Enmos: My website is finally underway! :)

I currently have 6 pictures posted online under the "my photos" tab top right. If you're interested you can view them at www.snakeystew.com

Hope you like them

Enmos: My website is finally underway!

I currently have 6 pictures posted online under the "my photos" tab top right. If you're interested you can view them at www.snakeystew.com

Hope you like them

Excellent stuff Snake !!
Please make it known when you put up more :)
Would you believe I have a similar one to your tree photo ?
Trees.jpg

;)

i say
is that filtered?
if so, bogus but yet stunning

but but
buzzard?
that foul.....
it looks just like an eagle

coot?
a real name?

so the poor bird made a nest out of garbage? Wow, talk about recycling!
What is that bird? I've never seen one with feet like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back