New Linux User

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Athelwulf, May 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I really don't plan on ever doing anything with Unix OSs other than using a Mac. I may have become an OS freak lately, but I don't think I'm that much of a freak. Thanks for the mention though.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

Since when was MacOS a flavor of UNIX?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I thought at least OSX was Unix-based. Or, that's what I've read.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

If I'm correct (which I may or may not be), OSX uses the XNU kernel, which is only loosely based off of Unix, and therefore not a true Unix. Hell, it even has the acronym "X is Not Unix."

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

9. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

I ssh'd into my sister's iBook running MacOSX recently. It's UNIX allright - even had vim installed. No C compiler though.

10. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

Oh, I guess I learn something new every day

11. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Am I a genius or what?

I had the brain juice to realize that I could use my ME to post an update concerning my other computer here on SciForums while I'm doing stuff with it and can't otherwise use the Internet connection.

But anyway, on with the update. I installed Mandriva '06 several minutes ago. It went by very smoothly and gracefully. I split the partition that had Mandriva '05 on it (about 30% of the drive) in half, and put '06 on the newly made partition. Installing was a breeze, literally. It took me an hour for '05 to install, but '06 only took about ten minutes.

Something curious happened when I rebooted the computer after installation. It gave me the same bootloader I had before the installation and gave me the same four options I had before: "linux", "linux-nonfb", "failsafe", and "windows". I started to think that '05 would still boot despite the new installation. "No matter", I thought, because I'm planning on taking off '05 later.

So anyway, I chose "linux", and it loaded '06 instead of '05! So things were working.

I'm gonna start installing Fedora Core 5 over Mandriva '06 in a bit.

I'm curious though: Is there a way to make it so you can have the two versions of Mandriva on the computer and be able to boot both of them? I don't really need to know, since I don't plan on having both, but I guess it would be good to know nonetheless.

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Sure you can, you just have to have two root (/) partitions and configure your bootloader. You can do that from MCC in Mandriva.

p.s. take notice, that if you have one /home for both of them, then KDE might not work 100% right, because newer KDE has settings which are not exactly like those in Mandriva 2005

13. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Fedora problem!

I'll go over the stuff I did.

I booted up with the install CD. I tested all the CDs before I went on with the installation. Then I went through all the pre-installation configuration. I told it to reformat the Mandriva '06 partition and put itself on that one. It gave me a menu to configure the bootloader GRUB. I relabeled "Other" to "Windows" and set it as the default, and added Mandriva '05 to the list. Yada yada. Then it started installing.

After almost ten minutes, it started a restart sequence. It booted off the CD drive, and it wanted to start the process over again.

I manually turned off the computer, took out the CD, and turned it back on. It took me to the same old bootloader with the same old options. I selected "linux". It took me to the Mandriva '06 splash screen, but it won't do anything. Nothing happens in the status bar. So I guess Fedora formatted the partition successfully.

Did I do something wrong?

14. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

The first time I tried installing Fedora, the installer froze about 2 minutes before finishing and I had to start over. It doesn't sound like the Fedora installer is too reliable.

15. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Then why do you use Fedora?

Well, I guess I'll just try again...

16. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

It did it again. The exact same thing, at about the same amount of time into the installation.

17. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

The rest of Fedora is fine. I only had trouble with the installer once.

18. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

That all happened ten minutes in? That would still be disc 1, correct? Check to make sure it isn't scratched. Wipe it clean, and then retry. So it just restarted for no reason? That's weird. It sounds like a hardware problem, but I know it isn't.

Do you have more than one CD drive? If you do, you should try using the other one.

19. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

If there were any problems reading the CD, they'd have been detected during the CD test performed before the installation.

20. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

Maybe he chose to skip the test.

21. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Yup.

It has quite minimal scratches, so I doubt that's the problem.

No sir, I don't.

But I didn't. And all six disks passed. Then again, if the first one is faulty, you can't very well trust the test results for that disk, can you?

22. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Fedora breakthrough!

I tried installing again tonight. I decided to stick mostly with the default choices. I still chose the partition Mandriva '06 was on, and chose Windows as the default OS to boot to. It went ahead with the install. And, as expected, it failed at about the same amout of time in again. I don't know what it was installing the other two times, but this time it was installing "redhat-artwork 0.241-1 i386", which is "artwork for Red Hat default look and feel". That might be important.

I went through it all again, but this time I chose to let it remove all Linux partitions and set itself up with its default layout. This time, it made it past the problem spot!

So far, it's still downloading. In fact, I just put in the second CD. So far so good.

23. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Guys... There are five install CDs, but it was all done after the second one... I'm in Fedora right now, and it appears to be fully functional, despite the fact that the last three install CDs weren't even touched.

:bugeye: What the fuck?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.