My turn for genocide

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by S.A.M., Sep 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

The population doesnt matter, whomeve rhas more strength tpically is the dominate power.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

how many people or what percentage of those people need to die for it to be a genocide?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Ah, the lies of the Islamic propagandist. Whether it's scientific miracles in the Quran or all science is based on the Quran or sliced bread was discovered by Muhammad or the whole fucking universe is killing Muslims for fun, it's all the same agenda.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Agreed. For example: there was no genocide.

8. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

How much were they allowed to own? The locals seem to have had some interesting ideas on culling their minorities with riots and pogroms when they seemed too uppity. (Hey, maybe that's why the Jews there "liked" living in tiny ghettos! At least they were safe from their "equals".)

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If the culture and religion of Judaism remained in one place, it would also not remain fixed but change somewhat over time like most religions. Israel was not mythical, it's existence is confirmed by historical records, unlike the existence of Jesus.

10. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Also true.

This is the first time Sam has used diversity as an example of something bad. A simplification, true.

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

You made the claim, SAM, that the Jews did not originate in Israel. i.e. Judaism did not originate in Israel.

Now you're saying your comment was irrelevant. Why bother making it, then?

12. John99 Banned Banned

where is my little violin?

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I did not realise that there was a relevance of the origin of Judaism to the origin of Jews today, anymore than I see a relevance of the origin of Islam to the origin of Muslims today. Is there any historical evidence for the origin of Judaism in Palestine?

Meanwhile, what does the origin of the ancestors of the Palestinian people have to do with the argument?

According to Israeli historian Shlomo Sand, there are no "Jewish people"

Once again, what does the origin of Judaism or Jewish people [which are mutually exclusive incidents] have to do with the argument?

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

There is no evidence of an exodus, but there is archeological evidence for Judaism originating in the region of modern Israel. A Jewish religion leads to a Jewish people.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

What is the evidence of this origin?

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The kinds of things you find when humans live in a place- pottery, houses, bones of what they ate.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

How does this show origin?

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It shows a shift in culture from polytheism to a more sophisticated society made up of monotheists. A population came from outside, mixing with the locals and borrowing one of their Gods to form a new culture, which became the Jews.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

How do you know they didn't bring it with them from outside? Doesn't Jewish mythology say the first monotheist, Abraham was born in Ur?

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Abraham was not a monotheist, if he even existed, and the first forms of Judaism were also not monotheist. The name of the Jewish God came from existing caananite (I think) culture. This knowledge came from an archeologist that I heard in an interview, although I cannot tell you the source at the moment.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'd be most interested to see a source that definitively says Abraham was not a monotheist.

And that the Jews adopted El as their God after coming to Canaan.

Could you tell me when Jews started referring to themselves as Jews?

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I don't know, but early Jews had several Gods. God had a wife, for instance.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Don't you mean Judeans? Or Hebrews?

The word Jew is an innovation and has never been used to refer to followers of Judaism except in the modern languages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.