Muslim scholar issues fatwa against terrorism

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Mrs.Lucysnow, Mar 2, 2010.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

She's a liar and a phony. She lied about her family and her husband, she lied about her sisters abortions and affairs, all to get ahead in life. Anyone who steps over their father and mother to get ahead in life is not worth my time. She's also in bed with the American Enterprise Institute so I am never going to agree with her politics, even if I overlook her complete lack of ethics.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

What's the American Enterprise Institute? What makes you think she has lied? She gets a lot of press, if she had lied they would be printing it all over the place.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

There was a Dutch documentary on her life. She misrepresented her family as sadists and despots and her husband as cruel and evil to obtain refugee status in the Netherlands. I thought they had revoked her Dutch citizenship and banished here to the US? Or has she inveigled herself back?

The American Enterprise Institute is a neocon think tank.

8. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

The article says she was given american citizenship and was at the think tank. CNN recently just had her on to discuss women in Islam after some tragedy whereby a woman was killed by her husband or family member. What is the think tanks focus? From the article:

Yesterday the dust was far from settling on the Hirsi Ali affair. A TV programme highlighting lies Hirsi Ali told on her asylum application and the subsequent decision by hardline immigration minister Rita Verdonk to strip her of her Dutch citizenship, has triggered a political crisis in Holland. Elsewhere in Europe, the shockwaves created by the controversy are spreading too, with some claiming that another voice against repression had been silenced by force and others welcoming the end of a campaign seen as provocative and negative.

Once more, Hirsi Ali had succeeded in forcing the most difficult, uncomfortable issues of immigration, integration, religion and culture to the forefront of debate in a fiercely uncompromising way.

Hirsi Ali fled Somalia with her family to Saudi Arabia when her father's political activities brought him into conflict with the Somali government, and then on to Kenya.

In 1992, fleeing an arranged marriage, she arrived in Holland where she worked first as a cleaner and then as a translator at a refugee centre in Rotterdam - an experience that marked her deeply, according to one friend interviewed by The Observer. A victim herself of female circumcision, Hirsi Ali was shocked by the male repression of immigrant women living in one of the most developed and tolerant societies in the world.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think the Dutch documentary was called Zembla. Or was by Zembla. It was called Der Heilege Ayaan or something, maybe Enmos can tell us better.

They interviewed her parents. Her husband refused to be interviewed. Apparently he is still loyal to her. He certainly gave the divorce when she asked for it. She "ran away" from him en route to Canada where he is settled. Apparently she prefers Europe. He came over to Holland and gave her the divorce.

I have been curious about her motivations, but not enough to care.

AEI:
    http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=American_Enterprise_Institute

10. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Submission was a nonsense movie she made with van Gogh, quite tacky and tasteless in my opinion. The Dutch documentary was about her.

12. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Well we would never look at submission in the same way. All I took from it was a strong activist message against abuse against women. You could have made a similar one on christianity but of course the context would be different. She's no idiot and I still think she has a lot to offer. She may have lied about her personal situation but that doesn't discount her criticisms or opinions.

For example she nails beautifully the political situation in Somalia (check her answer in the second link)

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Couldn't care less. Since she is unlikely to influence any Somalians, her opiniosns are worthless. Since she is in bed with the AEI that drives US policy and sustains instability in Somalia, her opinions are worthless.

I watched submission, its as effective a documentary on domestic abuse as having Jesus giving blow jobs would be on gay rights. I guarantee you it will not make a single Muslim man or woman look at it for its "message". The evidence is in the lack of discussion it generated on the issue it claimed to address.

14. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Well if you had watched her interview you would have heard her say that the US cannot influence things in Somalia by going in and using one group against another. Well there was discussion about submission but maybe not among muslims. Her opinions are obviously not worthless as she has a new book Infidel and is getting a lot of press. The fact that you don't like her doesn't mean she is dismissed by others.

15. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Anyone who listens to the AEI "fluff talk" would not be someone I would agree with anyway. A Somalian who shows semi naked Muslim women being mauled on prayer mats is the least one of them

Heh is that supposed to improve my opinion of her motivations? She's not far behind Wilders in my estimation.

I don't respect her as a person or as a politician. Her opinions are entirely irrelevant to me.

17. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Well like I said we would never view Submission in the same way similarly we wouldn't listen to Ayaan in the same way. I agree with you that she is like Wilders but Wilders doesn't bother me.

18. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

uh, i've got this book about terrorism by an islamic view, in arabic by a saudi scholar, not well known, but all the top arab scholars i know condemn terorrist attacks...

jihad... that's a crucial part of islam..

self defence is a given..

so where are the boarders of each? that's where all the conflict is about.. but 9/11 and terrorism in general never within the islamic techings by word of most scholars.
    geoffp wanted evidence of such fatwas, that's too easy..

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Maybe its cultural. Possibly it doesn't matter to you that she maligned her parents to get ahead. For me, thats a dealbreaker.

A person who would misrepresent her parent is a person who can never be trusted.

20. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Scifes It may not be condoned within the religion but no one is referring to islam as it stands but radical islam. Its the same with christians who want to blow up abortion clinics and kill doctors who perform it, its not a part of christianity yet it seems to be only christians that do this.

21. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Well that's the point we don't know what her family were like. Obviously she was circumcised and suffered some terrible experiences. Not all families are wonderful as you well know. She did what she had to do to survive and save herself and in actuality she has made something of herself, in other words she has used the opportunities available to her and worked really hard and that I admire.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Everyone in Somalia is circumcised.

23. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

And? I mean what difference does that make? Are you suggesting that because they are all circumcised that its normal and therefore not painful or horrific? There are many women who were forced to wear the Burkha but that doesn't mean they like it.