Muslim cultural center near 9/11 site causes distress

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mrs.Lucysnow, May 20, 2010.

1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I think I begin to see the problem here - who said anything about terrorism, specifically? Americans have terrorism on the brain; one can be an extremist without planting bombs at Jewish centres, and that's the problem: while CAIR is in fact an unindicted co-conspirator in terrorism (fact), much of the harm they do is in making excuses for extremist conservative thinking and reactionary religious memes: specifically, Islamic ones in this case, although any right-wing reactionary version of any religion would be bad. CAIR's particularly bad, too, because of where their funding and philosophy come from, although it's also worth mentioning in fact that several of their people actually have been arrested for actual, physical terrorism. Anyway, the point is that one doesn't need to be a physical terrorist to be harmful.

Well, I can't speak to Sandy, as I ignore a lot of what she writes, or wrote. It really isn't relevant.

I'm sorry, but this is simply incorrect.

There's the post I linked, and a New York Post article. Rauf has two faces; one in English, one in Arabic.

Then you accept the fact that you cannot explain these findings. Done and done.

Because of the really bad English and the very inexact usage, I actually am unsure what it is you're trying to say here. Can you quote, cite and explain in reasonable detail?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So why haven't they been shut down? And if they are unindicted what is that fact in favour of besides your usual retarded conclusions about any Muslim organisation?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Good question, isn't it?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

They're self-imploding; perhaps this is why they haven't been molested. More likely is that they have their fingers round the testicles of the media. That hold is finally beginning to be loosened. We shall see.

Tsk tsk. Ad homenim. Going to have to report this one; sorry. Fair is fair, and you've been given a lot of chances not to use personal insults, besides the allegation being completely false. You might, for example, have asked what my feelings are on the American Islamic Forum for Democracy, or the Center for Islamic Pluralism, to name two. :shrug:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Eh. I changed my mind. No report.

Here's the thing: you're frustrated and desperate. Basically, you get slammed down on 90-95% of the things you write. I get that it hurts. But that's not my problem. If the best you can swing is insults and garbage, fine.

8. Bells Staff Member

Let me guess, you scroll back in this thread at what you've been writing? The insults you've lobbed at others and changed your mind?

9. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Ooooh: so close. No, I decided to turn the other cheek. You should try it sometime.

10. Bells Staff Member

Ironic considering the topic, huh Geoff?

11. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Turning the other cheek means dumb, does it?

12. Bells Staff Member

It is ironic how the Christian philosophy you demand from others and claim you show cannot be applied to what this subject is about.

13. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Again: turning the other cheek means dumb, does it?

But why am I asking you? You haven't read any of the links about Rauf, because you prefer not to think about that. I guess it's ironic that you're trying to take the moral high road without any treads on your tires. It gets slippery up there.

14. Bells Staff Member

So it's only acceptable to turn the other cheek when it's applied to Muslims. They need to turn the other cheek. They need to turn the other cheek when they are abused and accused of breeding terrorists without proof?

Tell me Geoff, when will it be acceptable for Muslims to build a Mosque there?

Oh I read it. I read the sites you link and scratch my head at how you could have turned into such a redneck bigot. What made you that way? What or who led you down that path? Or did you go willingly?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  15. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

It looks like an "ownership" move. Much like one society would put a flag in conquered territory or a dog would pee on a tree. I *heard* they want to open it on 9/11/2011. All I can say is that New Yorkers are generally bat-shit crazy and that mosque is going to experience that first hand.

16. iceaura Valued Senior Member

That the powers who be find them useful.

When they are different Muslims, financed in a different manner, with a different agenda, and recognizing a local population of Muslims who would appreciate a mosque in their neighborhood.

17. Bells Staff Member

Well, if that is the case, I take it that no Christian Churches or Synagogues should be allowed to open on that site either? I mean, if that is standard that is going to be applied and all.. Considering that your previous very Christian President started wars, killing countless of innocent civilians, way more than the number that tragically died on 9/11 and your current President shows no intention of stopping said war, continuing to kill countless of innocent civilians. And no Synagogues either, what with the simple fact that the symbol for all Jews, Israel, is involved in a blockade that is a gross human rights abuse, for starters and are funded by your country, led by very Christian Presidents.

18. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

I suggest that Iran permits the opening of a McDonalds (serving true American beef, of course, no substitutes) in the heart of Tehran.
    Out of interest in and promoting an understanding of American culture, and in maintaining and preserving worldwide peace and understanding, of course.

19. Bells Staff Member

Because nothing says peace and understanding like reconstituted beef and orange coloured cheese. With a serve of "freedom fries" of course.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

They did have one I believe, in the 1990s. What happened to it?

21. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

You have yet to even say where they CAN build a mosque, nor have you explained why it is "insulting" for muslims not connected to terrorism to have a presence in southern Manhattan. Your entire position is that it is okay for you to be bigoted, but not okay for people to call you on your bigotry. Well, sorry to shatter your illusion of yourself as fair-minded, sweetie, but you are being bigoted.

They are excluding them HERE and prior to this mosque, no others exist in Manhattan outside of Harlem...so it would seem that one in southern Manhattan would be a convenience for Muslims living and working there. No one on your anti-Muslim side of the debate will sack up and tell them the nearest site it would be acceptable, except to pussy out and say that it would be acceptable "somewhere" else.

So, where can they build? A mile away? Two miles? What is the size of your Islam-exclusion zone? Can Muslims live in that zone, or is it fair for co-op and condo boards to turn them away based on their religion (after all, they may actually practice that religion while there). Assuming (as I hope) you'd allow them to live there, why not let them have a community center? Look at the building...it's a piece of shit and not getting any better. You'd rather it continue to be a broken down craphole, than let them use it for something they'd want to use it for?

Finally, denying people the right to practice their religion on land they own simply because you don't like that religion is unconstitutional. If you disagree, it's because you do not have a adequate grasp of the U.S. Constitution. That is the very reason the mayor (who himself is Jewish) decided the city should not get involved in the mess.

22. Bells Staff Member

Which raises an interesting question. I wonder, if the block was zoned residential and an apartment building was built there. Would Lucy and Geoff, for example, accept if Muslims were denied the right to live there, because they would practice their religion in their house (prayers for example)? Would they demand that they not be allowed to live there? Would they deem it acceptable that rallies be held to protest the presence of Muslims there?

23. CptBork Valued Senior Member

I would reach a compromise with the financiers: due to the sensitivity of the site, and the intended goal to promote Islam, they can build a cultural center there, but only on condition that a portion of it is dedicated as a memorial to the victims of 9/11, and that the center place a strong and highly visible emphasis on condemning Islamic radicalism.