Mass ufo sightings

How are they "changing" the past?
From what I have read, the changing the past is avoided by creating new time lines, or the hypothesis that we could never go back further then when the time machine was built anyway.

I'll see what else I can find out [although it sends shivers up my spine discussing time travel in the ghost and goblins forum :)]
may start a thread.

Maybe it's a predestination paradox where a timeship from the future came back and crashed in good ol' Roswell, and all of our technological advances are based on our own future tech.

The "greys" are actually Kaled Human mutants after a nuclear war, come back in time to collect pre-war Human DNA to splice into and repair the damage to their own genome.

Ooh! I know! Their previous experiments in this area accidentally created Bigfoot because they used the wrong genes from too far back in Humanity's evolutionary history, or something. Yeah, that sounds about right. Right?

Since mankind has nothing matching the craft ufo eyewitnesses see, then alien craft becomes the next logical explanation,
Actually, the type of "craft" has been media driven. For example, the "flying saucer" was not seen until 1947 or so.. A pilot saw what looked like a shiny metallic object flying in the far distance, with the sun glinting on it. He never saw what it was, just that he did not know what it was. He reported it. It hit the media cycle and a reporter who interviewed him asked him what he saw. He described a shiny metallic, glinting in the sun and flying like what one would attribute to a saucer skipping or spinning, like a stone skipping across the water. The reporter and editor then described it as a "flying saucer" and after it hit the media cycle, people suddenly started reporting seeing "flying saucers". The pilot, a man named Kenneth Arnold later advised that he had been misquoted and that while he did not know the origin or what he saw, he had described the motion of the object he had seen and not the shape. But the flying saucer was born and suddenly, people were seeing them everywhere and it became popular in film and images..

MURROW: On three different occasions, Mr. Arnold was questioned by military intelligence. They expressed doubt as to the accuracy of some of his reported observations.

ARNOLD: That's right. Now of course some of the reports they did take from newspapers which did not quote me properly. Now, when I told the press, they misquoted me, and in the excitement of it all, one newspaper and another on got it as ensnarled up that nobody knew just exactly what they were talking about, I guess.

MURROW: Here's how the name "flying saucer" was born.

ARNOLD: These objects more or less fluttered like they were, oh, I'd say, boats on very rough water or very rough air of some type, and when I described how they flew, I said that they flew like they take a saucer and throw it across the water. Most of the newspapers misunderstood and misquoted that too. They said that I said that they were saucer-like; I said that they flew in a saucer-like fashion.

MURROW: That was an historic misquote. While Mr. Arnold's original explanation has been forgotten, the term "flying saucer" has become a household word.

And the flying saucer was born.

Now, Arnold did not consider it to be alien. He believed it was the testing of a military flight. He was flying in an area populated by military aircraft and planes that could break the sound barrier were being tested and were to be made public a few months later. But Arnold never believed it was alien. That was introduced by the media and as Arnold noted, it was a direct misquote and had been blown out of proportion. But because it was now something the media kept pushing, people started to see them everywhere:

“After the reports,” the Houston Chronicle recently noted, “people everywhere were scanning the skies for flying the saucers. And when enough people look for something, some people will think they see something. Reports of flying saucers started coming in from all over.”

And of course, with movies and special effects, the so called crafts that people see become fancier and fancier, with more lights, and move in different ways, which correlates with what they experience in the media.

Unless they have an agenda of debunking all such phenomena as mundane in origin. Then it becomes swamp gas or the planet Venus.
Or they are simply something unidentified.

A couple of weeks ago, my ex husband and my eldest son (who turned 10 today.. *sniff*) were out in the back yard looking for the ISS to fly over. And we saw it, but prior to it appearing towards the West, where the light from the setting sun was still illuminating the sky, we saw what we thought was the ISS. But instead of heading towards the SSE direction, it was heading North. And as we were watching it, it vanished. It wasn't a shooting star, as it was going too slow. And then, from the point it vanished, while we scanned the sky trying to figure out what was going on, if this was just a satellite, we saw another star like object, head NE.. And then we saw the ISS appear and vanish right over head, going in the direction it was meant to be travelling in. We still don't know what we saw. I know my son freaked out and bolted inside, and he was genuinely afraid. We weren't inebriated in any way, all 3 of us saw it, what we saw was too high to be a plane. Certainly, it was more than likely to have been satellites and we were lucky enough to see a bunch of them in the same spot at the same time, and that is the most likely explanation, but we still don't exactly know.

Then last week, my ex and I were outside, discussing what to else to get our son for his birthday and we were looking up at the sky and sure enough, in the South East sky, there was a bright star moving. We knew it wasn't the ISS, because we do always go out and look at it when it is to fly over. And it was heading towards the setting sun, so it should have the light shining on it and not hit the shadow of the Earth just as yet. And as it hit the part where the light should have been strongest, it disappeared. We still don't know what it was. And we are avid sky watchers.. We know about hitting the shadow and lights or the shining satellites reflecting the sun can blink out overhead.

Was it aliens? I would say no and I am absolutely certain about that. They were probably satellites.

I just wish people would have fun with things like this and not take it so seriously. It's the not knowing that is the most fun. And frankly, the fact that we got to see something really cool is what makes it the most fun. Although, nothing beats the soyuz last month, a few hours after launch zooming past just ahead of its booster, two star like objects, zooming by near the horizon going so fast.. That was awesome.. Incredible really and it is something that will stay with us forever. I doubt we will ever have the opportunity to see something like that again. It was amazing. And for people who do not know, it is easy to believe it is something otherworldly. It isn't mundane. But it is worldly.

The point, MR, is that people will see what they desperately want to see and when they see strange lights in the sky, it becomes something else. Someone describes something flying in a thrown saucer like fashion far in the distance, and suddenly, they become flying saucers and thus, aliens from outerspace became popular.

Maybe it's a predestination paradox where a timeship from the future came back and crashed in good ol' Roswell, and all of our technological advances are based on our own future tech.

The "greys" are actually Kaled Human mutants after a nuclear war, come back in time to collect pre-war Human DNA to splice into and repair the damage to their own genome.

Ooh! I know! Their previous experiments in this area accidentally created Bigfoot because they used the wrong genes from too far back in Humanity's evolutionary history, or something. Yeah, that sounds about right. Right?
Apes! They're damned dirty apes! From our future, to create the past that leads to them rising to prominency until it all goes ****-up and some of them escape just as ***spoiler alert*** the earth ***end of spoiler alert*** blows up, only to land back in time somehow to complete the predestined cycle that we are forever trapped in... in a kind of predestined sort of predestination.

Or something like that. ;)

We still don't know what it was. And we are avid sky watchers.. We know about hitting the shadow and lights or the shining satellites reflecting the sun can blink out overhead.

Was it aliens? I would say no and I am absolutely certain about that. They were probably satellites.

Now, you can't say you don't know what it was, and be absolutely certain about what it was not. I would give you reasonably certain, but not absolutely.

Now, you can't say you don't know what it was, and be absolutely certain about what it was not. I would give you reasonably certain, but not absolutely.
I'm absolutely certain it wasn't Superman.

Or do you think we can only be "reasonably certain" that it's not Superman?

I'm absolutely certain it wasn't Superman.

Or do you think we can only be "reasonably certain" that it's not Superman?

That isn't quite fair. I don't think anyone is advocating for the existence of superman. But, if it were an ET, then maybe they could be compared to superman. :D

Do you think that there is absolutely no way extraterrestrials could visit our planet?

Considering what we know about the laws of physics, and about Human psychology, the idea that unidentified things in the sky are aliens in spaceships, it's a stupid idea.

Considering what we know about the laws of physics, and about Human psychology, the idea that unidentified things in the sky are aliens in spaceships, it's a stupid idea.

We send out the Voyager probe with a record of our species and diagrams of our bodies and our star system on it. We spend millions on SETI scanning the skies for alien signals. We spend more money on identifying nearby life-supporting planets. But the idea that aliens could be piloting spaceships is stupid? Go figure...

We send out the Voyager probe with a record of our species and diagrams of our bodies and our star system on it. We spend millions on SETI scanning the skies for alien signals. We spend more money on identifying nearby life-supporting planets. But the idea that aliens could be piloting spaceships is stupid? Go figure...

Yep, yep, yep, and as I have said many times, the possibility of Aliens having visited Earth is real...possibly. But we have no conclusive or extra ordinary evidence to show that.
And what is even stupider is the fact that if Aliens had visited here, being well in advance of us, why would they not make official contact.
Afterall "human kind's greatest question, "ARE WE ALONE" would also be there greatest question I suggest.

Yep, yep, yep, and as I have said many times, the possibility of Aliens having visited Earth is real...possibly. But we have no conclusive or extra ordinary evidence to show that.
And what is even stupider is the fact that if Aliens had visited here, being well in advance of us, why would they not make official contact.
Afterall "human kind's greatest question, "ARE WE ALONE" would also be there greatest question I suggest.

Any trekkie knows about the Prime Directive. Don't fuck with a planet's evolutionary course. So no..not making their contact with us "official" and public doesn't entail they aren't there. It just means we can't handle the huge ego deflation of knowing we aren't the apex species anymore. I'm pretty sure the religious nuts, as well as the science geeks, would both go crazy and jump off bridges if a higher species made its existence known.

Any trekkie knows about the Prime Directive. Don't fuck with a planet's evolutionary course. So no..not making their contact with us "official" and public doesn't entail they aren't there. It just means we can't handle the huge ego deflation of knowing we aren't the apex species anymore. I'm pretty sure the religious nuts, as well as the science geeks, would both go crazy and jump off bridges.

See? that's your problem MR...too much TV, too much X-Files, and not being able to sort fiction from reality.
Your reasons for not making contact official are flimsy at best.
They would recognise we are anyway on the verge of at least inter-planetary travel.

It just means we can't handle the huge ego deflation of knowing we aren't the apex species anymore.

Most scientists already know we are very unlikely to not be the apex species of the Universe I would suggest. :rolleyes:
I'm pretty sure the religious nuts, as well as the science geeks, would both go crazy and jump off bridges if a higher species made its existence known.
:SHRUG: I'm not sure what they would do, but I do believe any potential advanced Alien civilisation, also wanting to answer the greatest question would still make their visitation official anyway.
Actually our religious friends and the churches, would probably interpret some passage in the bible that predicted Alien contact.

We sent out the Voyager probes 38 years ago, and one is only now just leaving our solar system.
We have only been producing radio waves for about 120 years, so to anyone scanning their skies we would likely only have become interesting since then. So the furthest any alien species would likely be visiting us from is 60 LY away (60 years for the first signal to reach them, 60 years to travel to us assuming that they can travel at Light Speed). None of the solar systems, to my knowledge, in that range are exhibiting signs of such an advanced society.
If we aren't the cause of the alien visits, and they happened to have stumbled upon us, then it would be a startling coincidence that it just happens to be about the time we are sufficiently tech-savvy.
But if they became aware of us (us being life on planet earth rather than just humans) thousands, hundreds of thousands, or millions of years ago, and are sufficiently interested in us to keep revisiting, then why are there only sporadic sightings, no communications being picked up etc? Is the early workings of sentient life and our first tentative steps into space so uninteresting to our advanced visitors that only a handful bother us, and when they do they choose to ignore all the efforts at secrecy they have used in the past and get caught on camera, time and time again.

The way I see it, there just seem to be far too many inconsistencies in the picture of our supposed visitors that the coincidences required to accept them (extra-terrestrials) as being the likely explanation are far greater (and thus less likely to occur) than the coincidences required to explain them by far more mundane causes.

You assume that ftl travel isnt possible. To our limited understanding it seems like a reasonable assumption, but we've only been thinking about such things for a few hundred years. It could be way easier to reach the stars than we currently realize.

We sent out the Voyager probes 38 years ago, and one is only now just leaving our solar system.
We have only been producing radio waves for about 120 years, so to anyone scanning their skies we would likely only have become interesting since then. So the furthest any alien species would likely be visiting us from is 60 LY away (60 years for the first signal to reach them, 60 years to travel to us assuming that they can travel at Light Speed). None of the solar systems, to my knowledge, in that range are exhibiting signs of such an advanced society.
If we aren't the cause of the alien visits, and they happened to have stumbled upon us, then it would be a startling coincidence that it just happens to be about the time we are sufficiently tech-savvy.
But if they became aware of us (us being life on planet earth rather than just humans) thousands, hundreds of thousands, or millions of years ago, and are sufficiently interested in us to keep revisiting, then why are there only sporadic sightings, no communications being picked up etc? Is the early workings of sentient life and our first tentative steps into space so uninteresting to our advanced visitors that only a handful bother us, and when they do they choose to ignore all the efforts at secrecy they have used in the past and get caught on camera, time and time again.

The way I see it, there just seem to be far too many inconsistencies in the picture of our supposed visitors that the coincidences required to accept them (extra-terrestrials) as being the likely explanation are far greater (and thus less likely to occur) than the coincidences required to explain them by far more mundane causes.

I count 13 habitable planets within 50 LY of earth. This is only a count of what we have discovered so far though. There are likely many more we haven't discovered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_potentially_habitable_exoplanets

Yes - 13 potentially habitable planets, but in solar systems that have demonstrated no signs of communications - emitting no unnatural EM waves that most think would be the hallmark of a civilisation capable of interstellar travel.

And the 60 LY is IF they have travelled at near the speed of light to get here once they picked up our first signals.
If they picked up our very first signals and then travelled at just 0.1c then you would need to look at planets within c.11 LY.

But then if we take Roswell to be the first encounter, this is only c.50 years for them to receive and respond...

You assume that ftl travel isnt possible. To our limited understanding it seems like a reasonable assumption, but we've only been thinking about such things for a few hundred years. It could be way easier to reach the stars than we currently realize.
Sure - one can only go with what one considers to be rational.
Otherwise you can start making up any explanation for anything you want, but that won't lead to what most consider rational conclusions.
Sure, what we consider rational changes with each new discovery, every time we push back the frontier of our understanding of things. But until we're there, let's at least stick to what is currently rational, as that is... well... the most rational thing to do, imho. :)

Sure - one can only go with what one considers to be rational.

But it's rational to assume we have hardly scratched the surface on what is possible in terms of space travel, just as it is that there are likely more advanced species than us living on other planets. Defining what is universally possible based solely of our current extent of scientific knowledge and theory is not really a very rational approach, especially when it comes to the overwhelming evidence for ufos that has been accumulated over the past 75 years.

Back