Lunatic Fringe taking over?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by origin, Feb 6, 2014.

1. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Is it just my imagination or has there been a rather large influx of pseudoscience infiltrating the science sections of the forum? It seems like the science section has become the pseudoscience section, the fringe area has become the raving lunatic section and the cesspool is for the actually criminally insane. Kind of disconcerting.:shrug:

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

It does seem that there's a lot of pseudoscience and general nuttiness at the moment, and less actual science discussion.

But is the pseudoscience clogging up the proper science subforums? Most of it seems to be lodged in the Fringe forums, as far as I can see.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. exchemist Valued Senior Member

…but then there is GG, roscoe and anew….

I tend to agree with origin that it would be nice to weed out some of the more obvious rubbish from the science sections, but I see you seem to be on the case.....

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Since I posted my rant I see that a couple of the pseudoscience threads have been 'disposed of', I guess you guys were in the process of doing a little house cleaning as I was posting.

8. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Origin, would the "rather large influx of pseudoscience infiltrating the science sections of the forum" possibly have anything to do with any "pseudo-scientists" Posting "responses" that seem to be predicated largely upon "pseudo-scientific methods"?

9. Sorcerer Put a Spell on you Registered Senior Member

If we're having a clearout maybe we could dump the religionists too, on account of being lunatic.

10. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I guess that is part of it.

11. brucep Valued Senior Member

The law of public science forums

The ratio

Intellectual honest / intellectual dishonest -> 0 over time. The internet is the meeting place for sociopaths and cranky crackpots.

12. brucep Valued Senior Member

All that says to me is you're not looking very close. You've got a group of scientific illiterates insisting everything they say is science. Trolling every thread. Some have 'never' written a coherent post.

13. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I don't always catch posts and threads in subfora. I work us peak time and sleep EU peak time. Sometimes I'll see a thread and intend to deal with it when I get home. Other times I'll simply miss them. If you report posts, at least then I have a reminder.

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

brucep:

I'll try to keep an eye on things for a while and see what I can do.

15. Trapped Banned Banned

It just surprises me every bloody time!

James, take a step back my friend and let me just give you an insight into what is actually happening here at sciforums. Brucep complains about trolling, when in reality, he does it on a weekly basis in some sub-forum in the speculations section. Some borderline bullying even goes on in there, if one took a proper look at some of the posts.

That's just one thing I have noticed, this thread if made by anyone else, with a topic which challenged this issue at sciforums would be pounced on, by no less, brucep and origin. In the style of the cliques, I should be preforming a rant of my own how they are just whining little children and they need to grow tougher skin.

The coin changes when they think they have a valid argument; it's totally hypocritical and this post is the epitome of what I am talking about.

I don't contend that we should allow psuedoscience in the science forum, however, I think some circumstances one has to allow a sense of freedom. Not freedom to post anything you like, but based on the quality of the post, such as, does it have any math to back it up? Are there any resources, citations ect. which can support your claim, fringe or not? Fringe does not mean pseudoscience by default, it means that it could be an active area of research that ... hasn't yet been fully understood or recognized or stamped with the scientific consensus approval.

But despite all this, this thread just annoys me so much, considering if it was anyone whining about something, they'd be hung and quartered... verbally.

16. Grumpy Curmudgeon of Lucidity Valued Senior Member

Trapped

Says one of the worst offenders and purveyors of pseudo-scientific drivel.

Grumpy

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. Trapped Banned Banned

As opposed to what? Like the time brucep got his math wrong and for weeks you and a few others gave me a hard time for it? Then brucep finally admitted he was wrong and I accepted this.

None of my posts have been questioned about their validity; I've came with questions myself on a few occasions in which other posters have successfully helped me. You're a negative player on these boards, though albeit, there are many negative posters here who just come to argue with other posters, rather than actually debating the content. So how are you lot even helping the moderators? You need to help yourselves first and I don't mean the obvious trolling which is seen on a daily basis!

18. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Grumpy (and about a dozen or two like-minded folks) are a free technical consult. Elsewhere you'd have to pay to get such advice.

That's entirely the fault of the cranks and crackpots who have no intent of rehabilitating themselves, much less following the actual content of a topic. What you've posted illustrates one of the tenets of crankdom: disparagement of the innocent -- which is often supplemented by praise of the guilty.

19. Trapped Banned Banned

Trust me, they are not. Are you the jester of the site?

It's just that your statement is so laughable, there is nothing worth a buck than what they're worth, half the time. They can apply themselves, but this is few and far between. If that is what you call ''service''... then you don't know what science is about.

20. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Hey..I need a free technical consult. Hey Grumpy, what is the difference between "gamma rays" and "gamma-rays"?

21. Trapped Banned Banned

By the way, it totally isn't.

What you are arguing it is totally acceptable to ... as the expression goes, ''pass the buck.'' The cranks are not a valid excuse, only an explanation for your acts. There is a big difference between the two. You can act like a totally reasonable person when you want to be. You can't blame anyone else for your actions, just like how recently I took the bait off of a poster in the physics section and I expect a punishment for it now. I won't blame anyone else... but myself.

22. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Agreed, in all his many incarnations, no less.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. Trapped Banned Banned

Funny.. I thought it was only two weeks ago a moderator confirmed, I wasn't the person you were talking about.