Is suicide painless?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by bitterchick, Mar 17, 2004.

1. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Another question, Lou.
    Why wait?
    You could move there while you are still young, strong, healthy and virile.
    Learn how to survive there.
    Live in and amongst nature until you die the natural and romantic way.
    You would be less likely to get cancer, but if you did, you would already be there.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I want to be hunted. There aren't any serious predators in australia.
    I could go the shark route, but I just love everything about the african savahnah.
    Thats where humans come from and I feel like the african ecosystems know better than anywhere else how to dispose of a human being.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Except maybe Brooklyn.
    Ask Jimmy Hoffa.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Hehe
    Oh I'm definately trying to cheat.
    My plan is cowardly and selfish really.
    I'm going to milk the benefits out of the civilised western world for all they're worth, and then recieve the benefit reserved for the battlers that is dieing by way of predation and being consumed.
    Dieing slowly on the death bed almost seems like the punishment for having such an easy life in comparison to wild animals. I'm going to cheat, live the easy life and then have an honourable death as though I deserve it when I clearly do not.
    No question i am trying to have the best of both worlds(although not everyone would consider being torn apart by hyenas a "privelidge", I very much would).
    So sue me

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. bitterchick Why must you taunt me so? Registered Senior Member

It *was* the topic of this thread. I used the story as an illustration. I'm used to people losing the forest for the trees, though.

Where you fall on the issue of suicide comes down to your perception of the value of human life, whether the quality of that life matters, or simply being alive is the important thing. Personally, I don't think being alive is such a swell plan when life is crap. I quit reading Danielle Steele novels in high school because I couldn't understand why someone's life that was *just absolutely shit* would continue to put themselves through it. To this day, I can't understand how certain people can go their entire lives without thinking at least once of taking themselves out of it.

I suppose my point of view is as alien to them as it is to me, and I envy their position. I doubt I'll ever share it.

None of this is meant to imply that suicide is always justified. My oldest brother died of cancer in 2001, and all during his illness we understood that if he ever gave the word that he was in too much pain to go on, we would help him out. (The last part of his illness he was comatose so it didn't come to that: if it had, I would have overdosed him *in a heartbeat*). However, I have little patience for people to act with the specific intent to "show" everyone else. That kind of suicide is just the last act of someone who has acted with only their own interests in mind throughout their lives, and is usually a predictable end to a narcissistic existence.

9. rainbow__princess_4 The Ashtray Girl Registered Senior Member

Yah, but you never once mentioned the other half of it so i wasn't sure you knew it was there. Quite funny the way you think you're so much better than everyone else that everyone is trying to make an attack on you because your death would be so important and unforgivable. I was referring to elsewhere it was mentioned and don't worry, I will.

10. Silverback Registered Senior Member

Hi Bitterchick! (ha ha, still love that name!)

I took the first post as an example of someone choosing "death" as an option in a hopeless situation. Their own or someone else's was irrelevent. Then you specified suicide.

I am constantly accused of using flawed analogies. And I do, I admit it.

Certainly, the boy in the story would have no reason to choose suicide, but he did choose death.

So when is it ok to choose suicide? Almost never. Terminal illness with lingering pain I can understand perhaps. Sorry to hear about your brother. I would certainly have a tough time helping someone take that step, but I think I would, under those circumstances.

11. bitterchick Why must you taunt me so? Registered Senior Member

12. Rick Valued Senior Member

MOst of the suicide cases are because of Psychological problems.Oprah W show had a girl who would just cut herself without any cause,she said she involuntarily did that,it was just an impulse...when alone she would just cut herself...She couldnt help it...Off course she didnt wanna die!! but she couldnt resist!!

Suicide is and should be a Psychological problem result and nothing else...

bye!

13. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

Whle that may be so that is your point of view. There are still gonna be people who believe that, them living for a few months or even years would benefit them. Maybe they would get better, maybe there would be a solution or cure to get them away from the pain. Of course I am not like this, but as I said there are people who are like this.

I suppose teh main reason why people do this is because those who are left behind after the suicide receive the pain of grief and loss since they lost a loved one. They are left with pain after the person who commited suicide is relieved of it.

Yeah well people tend to do it and they do it all the time, and not just with people. It is found all the time, for instance and can be seen in relationships between animals and people...but grief effects everyone in different ways. When someone takes a blow from losing someone they love they go into a state of denial, always thinking about the person. These thoughts tend to go to how they could have prevented it, how they could have helped, and why the person did it. They begin to hate themselves becuase they couldn't help the person. They begin hating others because they couldn't help. This is depression right there and its always found in someone in all suicidal cases. Infact, it is inhuman not to miss them. According to you, you should just think about why they drove to this suicidal conclusion rather than missing the person themselves. Why wouldn't u miss someone you loved? You will never see them again for the rest of your life so u must feel some kind of emotion towards them, wether it be sadness, madness, or grief.

14. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

What are you talking about?

15. Nebuchadnezzaar Registered Senior Member

What on earth are you talking about?

I pray that you never have to experience the TRUE feeling that depression gives a person. Depression that genuinely requires drugs to keep a person sane, to keep a person even half happy, to stop a person from cutting their arms. Depression is a real disease, it's not a choice, it's ALWAYS completely forgivable if a person commits suicide, ALWAYS.

You seem to have no idea of what depression is. When a person is depressed it affects their entire body in ways you can't imagine.

What level of psychological suffering must one reach before it's okay to off oneself?
    Would you ask that if your child had shot him/herself in the head and you came home and had to call the ambulance while you cleaned up the blood. OR if say you came home and found your mother hanging from stairs with a noose around her head.
    No you wouldn't.

16. bitterchick Why must you taunt me so? Registered Senior Member

17. Nebuchadnezzaar Registered Senior Member