Is Atheism Unscientific?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by th.w.heller, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lightgigantic Banned Banned

you might find the op of this thread goes along those lines

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Atheism cannot be considered scientific. Agnosticism and theism are the most scientific choices.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

Theism scientific? Atheism is more scientific than theism but not as much as Agnosticism.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

It really depends on what type of atheism you're talking about.

An atheist who says "There's zero possibility that any god could ever exist anywhere, and I refuse to examine any evidence that even suggests the contrary" is being unscientific.

But, in my experience, there just aren't that many atheists who are like that.

I know a lot of atheists who are scientists, so I guess that means at the very least that atheism is not incompatible with science.

8. phlogistician Banned Banned

Oh dear, I fear people are using the term 'atheist' incorrectly again. When will this ever stop?

9. Nasor Valued Senior Member

No, it's merely grounds for showing that the specific religions of most of the world's population are unscientific.

10. Harro Registered Senior Member

Belief in god/s is about as unscientific as you can get.

Christians cant even accept the scientific exidence of evolution.

Most Athiest would accept a god if it was scientificaly prooven.

11. mynameisDan Registered Senior Member

Of course not. Atheism is really just a bold front. There are no true atheists if a standard definition of atheism is used. Heck, even dawkins won't admit to being a "strong atheist". He is a weak atheist, which of course, all are, with the possible exception of the late Jeff Dahmer.

There are no positive arguments for atheism, no logical deductions which lead to this philosophy. It is nothing more than a parasite of Christianity. Usually disaffected fundamentalists with to much time on their hands. They are (at least the "new variety") rabid anti Christians. They have to be because if Christianity is true, they are toast. So they spend hours on forums like this trying to help themselves learn to sleep nights.

Of course, I am here to make sure they don't

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. mynameisDan Registered Senior Member

what a stupid reply. Science cannot PROOOOVE anything. But there are more arguments in favor of the existance of the biblical God than you can shake a stick at, just none that you are willing to accept. Your atheism does not rest upon science, but rather willful ignorance.

Christians come in all shapes and colors, just like atheists, so lumping will probably get you into a lot of trouble here. The vast majority of Christians accept evolution and thus are brainwashed just as you are. A small number, such as myself, understand that evolution is a popular fairytale, devoid of good scientific evidence. Of course, we must here define evolution as the molecules to man variety, and not simply "change" which deceiving atheists and evolutionists love to do to muddy the waters.

13. mynameisDan Registered Senior Member

"atheism is not incompatible with science."

science is based upon the biblical notion of causality. The assumptions of science are accepted axioms of the biblical theist, which might explain why the vast amount of scientists, past and present, are theists, And the vast amount of the founders, where biblical theists. Atheists can do science, but you have to keep a close eye on the little fellers because they cannot be trusted to tell the truth.

14. phlogistician Banned Banned

No it's not. You clearly have never worked with scientists. I have, and on the shelves, were IDL manuals, and the Fortran Cookbook, not the Wholly Babble.

Sorry kid, but you just don't know what science is.

15. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Christians can spell existence.

16. mynameisDan Registered Senior Member

so, are you saying science does not assume causality or are you saying that causality is not a biblical concept or are you just saying nothing at all?

17. th.w.heller Registered Member

Just a few points to try to stay on track here

(1) For the sake of argument let's define an atheist as someone who denies the existence of an entity that guides the universe beyond natural laws. This ties in with my previous attempt to define a workable deity.
    (2) If I'm going to hold the atheists' feet to the fire (i.e. how can they exclude the existence of a deity (see number 1) without adequate data?) I must also hold the feet of religionists to the same fire. Depending on the religion ascribed to some fairly extraordinary things are said to exist/occur and just as with the atheists these extraordinary things should be backed up with extraordinary proof if we consider ourselves scientists. If not aren't they both, religionists and atheists, making a leap of faith?
    (3) It is unfortunate that these questions bring out such emotion on both sides of the issue. As scientists shouldn't we be doing our best to minimize emotion and instead look dispassionately at the situation as we know it?

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Things that could be true, but have not yet been supported with evidence are called hypothesis in science. We do not have to prove them wrong. The data does not fit with the existence of a diety, and no other supernatural effect is supported, so the God hypothesis can be dismissed.

19. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Why do you insist on saying beyond natural? There is nothing unnatural about reality.

Are you that desperate for a straw man argument?

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If only inanimate natural laws are at work here, there is no God.

21. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

That is not a logical or scientific argument and in fact it makes no sense at all. Can you say more please?

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

In virtually all concepts of God, he is seen as the factor responsible for the wonder/complexity/order we see in the universe. If these are the result of passive and natural relationships between forces, then He becomes an unnecessary proposition.

23. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

If is an assumption.

If God exists then what?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.