Give me your top five

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Frisbinator, May 15, 2004.

1. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

lotr is a single movie but it is against the rules. i don't like these rules. and that's my favorite movie dammit! i also assert that star wars is a single movie in parts.
    my actual favorites, in no particular order:
    star wars
    lotr
    forrest gump
    the princess bride
    hannibal, etc.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I hope that excludes the prequels?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

obviously.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. chunkylover58 Make it a ... CHEEEESEburger Registered Senior Member

Another 5:

Amadeus
    Young Frankenstein
    Office Space
    The Big Lebowski
    Annie Hall

8. Frisbinator Registered Senior Member

The movie you were thinking of is entitled "The Ewok Adventure" and they actually made two of them, one with these little children (the better of the two) and another one with adults.

And EXCUSE ME I said Grammy instead of Emmy, big freakin' deal, ya'll knew what I meant.

Another thing, Ewoks were a very interesting species, one I believe is very realistic. I don't know why everyone hated them so much, they were cute but not so cute that they were cheesy. I felt that if there is life on other planets, that it would not be too far-fetched for life to be some sort of a combination of a bear/monkey with enough intelligence to form themselves into tribes and build little villages in the woods.

And I would argue that Return of the Jedi WAS the best of the three. It had everything, action, special effects, love , drama and it pulled all of it off flawlessly. The special effects were the best out of the three, the characters were the most diversified and interesting out of the three, the storyline was just outstanding(theres no way to be sure WHO is going to come out on top), everything was put together flawlessly and I would ALSO argue that this is George Lucases best film ever, even better than his Indiana Jones movies.

And Spurious Monkey....If your really 34, then your are an obvious reason why people are forced to take basic composition courses in college, I counted more grammitical and phonetic errors in your posts to me than you can shake a stick at.

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Gosh...Never comment on someones ability to apply proper grammar and then write a shite sentence yourself.

Shall we?
    And Spurious Monkey (it is spuriousmonkey)....If your (you are, or you're)
    really 34, then your (you are, or you're)are an obvious reason why people are forced to take basic composition courses in college,(new sentence maybe?) I counted more grammitical and phonetic errors in your posts to me (to me?)than you can shake a stick at.

10. path Militant wiseguy Registered Senior Member

Ouch Frisbinator you was nailed

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(and yes I meant to say "you was"

)

11. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Spurious, didn't we have a discussion on grammar the other day?

And if this is suppose to be our worst list:
    1. Dream Catcher
    2. Dante's Peak
    3. Battlefield Earth
    4. Troy
    5. Star Wars: Attack of the Clones.

12. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

Do not forget the spelling error and the use of colloquialism.

Last edited: May 19, 2004
  13. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

SwedishFish,
    don't forget to capitalize and use a period

14. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

i demand that troy be removed from any 'worst' list on the grounds of godDamn brad pitt is smoking hot. greek warrior indeed.

15. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Well, SwedishFish, I did like one part of the movie. I liked his relationship with Peraclese(sp?) - that hot chick with black hair. I didn't consider her hot until she opened her mouth; I liked her character because she was smart, and gentle, and caring, etc.

Then Brad Pitt had sex with her and it killed me. It pissed me off, because she ended up sad at the end when stupid ass Orlando Bloom killed Brad Pitt.

And don't get on me about spoiler alerts either.

16. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

One thing I thought was kind funny - in the Iliad, Patroclus was not Achilles' cousin, but rather his hot and heavy type boyfriend. This is why Achilles freaked out so bad when he died.

Did anyone else find that Helen was not the sort of woman that they would levy an army of fifty thousand men to get back? She was kind of mean and stupid, and that whole "look I'm blonde and the sun shines on me" thing got sort of tiresome.

(Mind you, the women in the movie kind of got a raw deal anyway; most of them were limited to reaction shots, and saying things like "But why?" and "Oh no!" I suppose it's understandable, since this movie was really about Brad.)

EDIT: Counsler, I don't think anyone can really complain about spoilers when you're talking about a Homeric epic.

Troy was not my favouritest movie, but it was still the best one I've seen in the last six months or so at least.

17. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

a fight between orlando bloom and brad pitt....i think i'm going to faint

18. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

Ja, this is a minor spoiler, but all their clothes fall off and they wrestle in a giant vat of Trojan marmalade.

19. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

:: passes out ::

20. chunkylover58 Make it a ... CHEEEESEburger Registered Senior Member

Oh...I got ya. So...what television performances were those two awarded Emmys for?

Last edited: May 20, 2004
  21. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I can't remember that discussion but he started it! (which is weird because he made more mistakes on average in this area per post)

Anyhoo...Troy was bad...except for some scenes which were a bit ok.

Yes, my first thought was: 'For this woman they go to war...no way?!?'

22. mouse can't sing, can't dance Registered Senior Member

Frisbinator,
    What's wrong with Schlinder's List? After seeing it, it kept me silent for the better part of the adjacent weekend and haunted me the following week. That's pretty impressive for my standards. Same story applies to La Vita e Bella. Other candidates for my list would be Ghost in the Shell, Amelie and Twelve Monkeys.

I'm convinced there are better movies around than above mentioned, but I just haven't got around to seeing them.

23. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

You were haunted by a movie about the Holocaust? Maybe you didn't have my upbringing, but I have to hear about the Holocaust just about every damn minute of every damn day. Given that any and all other genocidal events in human history have been utterly forgotten, and the Holocaust is held up as the "greatest evil the world has ever known", I believe that the daily decry of that event is a bit hypocritical.