Gamerz

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Stryder, Oct 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

I want a PC version of RANARAMA anyone seen one?

The original version ran on the ZX Spectrum.

It was the only game that ever really kept my attention.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Cris,
    How about a little detail on RANARAMA? What did you like or dislike? How was it set up? A shooter? (which I doubt) A build 'em up?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Cris you could try looking at http://www.theunderdogs.org for the game or search out the game name with "ABANDON WAREZ" written in the search.

(These are Games that are no longer sold in the shops, and the companies that created them seemingly have no outlets of old games. As far as most of the Warez sites involved with this are concerned you can download them as "Abandon warez" you don't pay because they are old.)

You might even want to checkgames out at the Shockwave website as they also have games like "RAMPAGE" you can play

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

What a nice thread to read this is.

So many members and all their games, really nice.

Stryder, good link you have given there. Thank you.

8. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I saw on TV somewhere (I think it was the show: Electric Playground) where they interviewed Will Farrel-from SNL, about his favorite video games. He said he liked Galaga and wanted to be in the first Galaga movie.

Anyway I just bought simcity 3000 unlimited, it's pretty cool. I'm waiting for Star Trek Armada 2 to get to my house.

Does anyone have a GameCube yet? I'm thinking about getting one. Which, of any of the newest consoles has the most *good* games and the best graphics? I've got a lot of money to burn, sooooo any suggestions would be nice.

9. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Shrike, what is a GameCube?

How does it work? I really don't know it.

Can you explain please?

What about some non shooting games? Like you have the ones with Magic in it and you can make your own 'civilization', but then you can make either a good world or a bad world.

Can't find it right now, but I will get back to you with the name of the game....as soon as possible.

Hope i will not forget it...then please remind me.

10. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

A GameCube is a console-like a computer, only a lot cheaper and just for games made by nintendo.

Do you mean Black and White? If your comp is a little below average (8mb 3d card, 64mb of RAM, celeron 433) you could probably run it, the game has great graphics and you play god. It's really fun for a few weeks, then you get bored of it but then later you want to play it again.

Simcity 3000 is a non-shooting game. You build a city and incite people to come to yours, amongst other things. It's quite fun.

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

to shrike

hi shrike, I can tell you that to my mind the best platform for gaming is PC. it stays up to age, if you upgrade it and it has also got the widest choice of games. plus multiplayer on PC is better than on any other platform. if you yust can't live without a console I would sugggest you PS2. it lacks the graphics of x-box, but it has much more and better games, though msoft has promissed to fix tht. I don't know how about your country, but we here can get games for 2Ls - 1Ls=0.62$. So I have about 115 different games at home, but I love only about 10 of them.
    My most favourite games- Deus-Ex, Final Fantasy and Age of EmpiresII.

I have put ADSL in my house so I am now looking for cool multiplayer games.
    Bye!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2001
  12. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Shrike, thank you for the explanation.

And yes, we do have Black and White, but I do mean another game, can't find it, guess he put it somewhere else. I keep on looking, for now I want to tell you the name of the game.

We have had Nintendo, but sold it. Now there are only PC games and a Dreamcaster. You know the Dreamcaster?
    The games are pretty expensive, but my son play's on it when I am at the PC. He is really more then addicted to playing games. (big sigh)
    He has a friend where he can burn the games he wants to have, a lot more cheap...

So once in a while he buy's a new game for the PC and/or the Dreamcaster. If it was up to him, he should buy a new game every day. Yeah, yeah...

Avatar, you can compare your number of games with the ones we have here....so you are pretty hooked to it also?

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

re

You could say so, but I am not hooked only to games. I am hooked in web design(flash), inet and taekwon-do too.

I have a question for you. Do you know if there is ability to buy pirate copies of games in your country, and if you know then how much. about ~3.2$ in Latvia. We had a discussion with friends on this and couldn't figure tht out.
    .thanx.

14. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Yeah one of my friends said a PS2 would be good, the problem with me is that my parents don't seem to want to get a new computer with their money because I'm the only one that really uses it, but we do have plenty, my dad just won a lawsuit with this asswipe and got I think $2500.

I finally have a job, so maybe I'll save up for a good pc, I dunno, but if we got DSL here then i'd have to pay for it and it's fifty bucks EVERYWHERE. It just seems like too much, the system requirements change every six months and my pc has recently sunk below the minimum RAM and video RAM needed. I have a celeron 433, 64mb RAM, and an ATI 8mb video card.

It does the job but I could have SOO much better.

15. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Avatar, my son does want to have certain games sometimes and if I don't have the money for it, or he just bought one a little while ago, he has to burn his games.
    Most of the times one of his friends has that particular game (pirate-games also) and a burner, so he gets every game he wants that way....just burn them at his friends house.

That is real easy to do in the Netherlands. You don't have to pay for downloading games from the Internet also in the Netherlands. Guess the U.S. is very greedy there, they want you to pay for everything, even music, if you want to download particular songs....Ridiculous.

I don't know where Lavia is located exactly, but I think it is not that much, $3,2. Though it is much if you have to pay for it and don't have money of your own and have to ask for it by your parents every time. So what the games concerns and the way of getting them, I think you can live better in the Netherlands,you don't have to pay for downloading games there.
    But I guess my son is lucky to have some friends whos fathers have a burner. So he can burn the games he wants.

Shrike, I have a Windows XP computer, really good that PC is.
    But I have it for a very short time, it is a new one, because the last one (windows 98 upgraded) was crashed some weeks ago.

Try to be real nice to your parents. Perhaps they will buy you a new computer then. I don't understand why they don't buy you a new one if they do have the money for it. But I can't judge your parents for that, it is the way parents handle their money and their children. Are you the only one or do you have brothers/sisters also who want to have their things too??
    Then it is a different case.
    I always give my son whatever he wants if I have the money for it, because I think he has the right to have his own things, games and other stuff. Don't care so much about money after paying the bills and of course we have to eat and drink.
    But what is left of the money I don't care so much about then. He gets a little money of his own too, every month. About $20 every month. And he has to use it well, believe me, it is not just like that.

16. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Well they say that I have to wait till early next year which isn't too far off, but my dad wants to make a big downpayment on a new car (his is a piece of sh*t). But I think that maybe soon, within a few years my family may ascend into the lower-upper class ranks, we're going to refinance the house and use THAT money to build a new one, and my mom is really good at being a fund raiser and she's in the process of getting a large raise.

But back to video games.

I'm going to look for the cheapest PS2 I can find right now. Looks like they go for about $300 at the least, I think I'll probably get a bundle with Metal Gear Solid 2. It'll be about a month before I can amass the money I need.

By the way, www.mysimon.com is an awsome shopping site.

And I still haven't gotten Armada 2! It isn't here yet! Arrr.

17. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Shrike, I found that game I was telling you about. Its name is Half-Life..

Do you know this game? It is a nice game to look at, with Magic and Spells and you have to do a lot of crazy stuff to finish it.
    I will not give you the exact details, for I think you can download it. Take a look at it....Real nice game, though my son is really to busy with his U(nreal T(ournament).

(big sigh!!) Wish he played another game so once in a while. Which he does, at his friends houses. Yeah, yeah, and I can look at that shooting game all the time. (bigger sigh!!)

By the way, he has Armada 2 also, name 1 he doesn't have please. So I can come up with something new.

But then again, he wants to be the best sniper of his clan and he is pretty well succeeding in it.
    Yeah, he is always playing that game. You' ll get better every day if you practise it that often as he does.

But he must come off the computer for his homework. First homework, and let he study it well, for I look after that. If not good enough, he can study some more. And when it is ok, then he can play his game again.

I do hope for you, that your parents will buy you another computer as soon as possible.

Talk to you later...have fun with your games.

18. Benji Registered Senior Member

shrike, the best of the new consoles graphic's and power wise is MS's Xbox, the reason this will be the best console is because its a new player in the market and as well as having all the independent developers title's you'll also find PC, sega and some playstation titles.

Nintendo's game cube will be ok but out of the 3 new super consoles its the one with the least amount of power and only nintendo titles, i think you'd have to be over addicted to zelda to want one of these.

Playstation2 is a good console it will be a match for the xbox but it wont have the same industry support, again get one of these if you're really into playstation originals tekken, grand turismo etc.

19. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Yeah that's what I thought benji-I'm probably just going to save as much money as possible for a comp, a PS2 sounds good but we REALLY need another one.

Banshee, what does your kid think of Armada 2? I've heard good reviews and bad reviews of it. I also have half life and beat it a few times, it is a fairly cool game. I haven't gotten my hands on any of the expansions but intend to.

I'm thinking now that if I get more than one hundred and fifty dollars for christmas money that I will buy a PS2 with my remaining money. Such a dilemna.

20. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

My son played Armada 2 for a while, but he ran into that ('stupid sniper game') U.T.
    So that is what is of most importance to him from the time he laid hands on it.

But Armada 2 looks good to me. Try it out, you should have the possibility to download it, I shall ask him where exactly to look for it, because he has gone to Berlin with his schoolclass for a week and is not around at the moment.

I certainly wil get back to you with the link, for I know it is to be found at the Internet. I will try to find it, but am not that familiar with links to games.

Have you tried the link Stryderunknown gave in former replies here on the thread?

Talk to you soon with more information (I hope...).

Good luck by buying another computer.

21. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Forgot to tell you he liked to play Armada pretty well, he liked the game very much. Guess you will like it also.

Don't tell you any more about the game, find it out yourself, for I am afraid I tell it wrong and you will get the wrong impression about the game.

Talk to you later...

22. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Great. I don't think I'd be able to download armada 2 off of stryde's site, it's for discontinued games and this one was released only a few week ago in the US. Thanks anyway, though.

And now for a new segment on this thread, shrike's game picks:

Simcity 3000-Nice graphics, addictive, fun to play and never gets boring. Also very cheap nowadays.

Jedi Knight-Graphics are out of date but the game will run well on anyone's computer, great story, fun to play, extremely cheap ($10), fun to play on the internet

That's all for now!

23. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Recently I purchased for Playstation "Evil Dead: Hail to the king!" I started getting the hang of it but I stopped playing it for a while because I was naughty and cheated hehe

So I'm allowing time to forget how I cheated. The game itself is in a similar style of resident evil and has those really annoying directors view of the world you run though (you know the type, you get stuck in a corner you can't see and panic while trying to escape from it)

The games fun because your Ash and you have to kill all the Demon forces released by the enchanted Necronomicon. Make sure you collect enough fuel then you can power your chainsaw and make the demonic forces blood curdle as you slice and dice.

If your really craft you can learn how to use two hands, your chainsaw arm and another weapon to speed up your kill with a finishin move. While the beasty is stuck to your chainsaw, slice it's head off with the Axe.

I have "Fear Effect" also, this is also a game done in the Director style (Just my luck two games both done in that style that I really don't like) You get to race through some puzzles and shoot some enemies, pretty simple until you get stuck on a puzzle and have to find a walkthrough. worth playing but I recommend borrowing or hiring.

I'm going to have to get a PS2 so I can get "Grand Theft Auto III, as I have the others on the original PS.
    It's great fun racing around a city, mowing down civillians and stealing cars, just to pick up a phone and do a job for the local crime syndicates. (especially in the second)

[I'm also lead to believe that a PS2 can play normal PS games on it.]

I too purchased SimCity 3000, I've had 2000 for years and had Simcity and many other of Maxis Sim products (including the sims)

One I like but haven't played in a while either was Tenchu 2, you get to play a ninja assassin and sneak around killing people from a stealth move from behind, it's well worth playing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.