"Everything in Moderation", the Boastful Average

The picture describes a transmigration from one state to another and shows that at one point it is perfectly in balance with both states.

Meanwhile,

Well, it's a picture you decided to display against my wishes.

I actually wanted to PM you, but you disabled that option -- so suit yourself.

See, the object was to read my post and not make out heads or tails what I was trying to say but finding a link instead that would supposedly explain the obscurity.

So I did.

So, as the viewer hesitates momentarily, trying to decide whether or not to waste time viewing my link, then deciding that no one would know anyway and that a click of the mouse is just a click away, an impinging feeling of suspense begins to bubble up as they briefly experience a blank imagination and a creeping, traitorous curiosity—because they have no idea what the hell I'm saying and most importantly they're not suppose to care.

I understand this.

You ruined my post, and, I can't very well delete it now, now that it's become an anticlimax?

Because you do not quote pics.

Hence, I won't cooperate.

Face it, this universe can do these insanely bewildering things to you. And it does do them. You might as well give up your control freakery and go with the flow of the universe as it presents itself to you.

And yes, I do quote pictures.

Anyway, this picture was done for Gendanken.

Then mark things accordingly next time, so that people who randomly pass by don't pick up the tissue you let on the ground *for someone else*.

"Yeah I don't know why I came here tonight
I got the feeling that something ain't right
I'm so scared in case I'll fall off my chair
And I'm wondering how I'll get down the stairs
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am
Stuck in the middle with you"

~Bob Dylan

Moderation. Averages. Contentment. All words that stunt the creativity. Part of writing demands the extremes of chaos in the mind. When one takes the path of least resistance, or the middle road, one finds themselves staring at the floor looking for the path rather than ignoring it and reaching for the sky or digging it's way to China. It's the difference in believing that Van Gogh cut off his ear because he had a mental defect, or believing that maybe he was cold and wanted the girl he gave it to to make him a hat to keep his ears warm. What we see, and what we believe shapes our life in a way that is a catalyst to adventures or a box to keep memories in.

Absinthe, and Opium have created great books. Heroin and pot great lyrics, and "mental defect" great art and poetry. It is nearly impossible to have one without the other because people want to escape normalcy when they read, or view art. They want to live in someone elses shoes when they listen to music and recite poetry. I pity the average man for his lack of living in the world that this chaos creates. Those of us who live on the swing of emotional highs and lows feel cooped up and tied down when we are unable to push our swing higher into the air. And those on the ground pity us for our hard work keeping us there. It's a strange dynamic, and when we find ourselves stopped... the music stops, the words no longer flow and our very existance feels snuffed out in a very cruel way.

I often find that "psychotics" that take heavy meds to make them "sane" are uninteresting and more like the zombie masses than ever. And we feel like we are doing them a service by helping them become "normal" and "average" when really we are just stopping their mind from creating, and in stopping that you kill them a little bit at a time.

Normalcy is the cage of the fearful and medicated/trained mind. Once you have lived in the chaos, average seems like hell on earth. Let your mind wander. Create the unexpected instead of waiting for it. Stop ballyhoo'ing about the law of averages, and find another high.

todays news

http://sciencenow.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/2005/1111/2

insanity and imagination often seem to go hand-in-hand, but is there really a link between the two? A new study suggests there is by showing that hyperactive and bipolar children score higher on an index of creativity than their normal peers. Because these children also have parents who are bipolar, the findings indicate there may be a genetic connection between psychosis and creativity.

Creativity is highly overrated. The works produced, highly creative, may be interesting, a feast for the eyes, ears, tastes -- but to what end? To make us feel special? To make those creating, and those consuming this creativity, feel somehow "above-average"? To make us feel that "humanity" has "power"? Worth?

I see this from two angles, one about the simple idea of moderation, and another about greatness, creativity and such.

Moderation sickens me because it's control. It's "life by prescription" to a great extent. : 'here is a bunch of shit you can do but if you really dig any of them and indulge yourself too much you'll die and I'll shove my wagging "I told you so" finger up the ass of your corpse'. Fuck that.

On the other hand, the stupid asshats are right with all the wagging. In general, too much of what you dig can kill you. So you have to be careful what you dig? Fuck I dunno. Part of me resents those smirky pukes for their waggy fingers and the other part just accepts them as annoying reminders to ground asshats like myself. Meh. So yeah, can't do too much of stuff or it's bad. Got it. Whatever assholes. Shutup about it already, at least for now. Pffft.

Anyway... to be driven to greatness is in no way a rational or moderate exercise. It requires fanaticism, compulsion, extreme focus and refusal of anything but the desired outcome. As long as whatever mental fucked-upedness exists in the mind in question, do so within the unknown parameters that allow them to attain the goal of their compulsion, they can. The more compulsive their behavior, so long as it exists within said unknown parameters - the more likely it probably is that they will attain their goal. Compulsion is determination on auto-pilot.

Like I'd know what the fuck I'm talking about. Procrastination is my bizness, with brief moments of clarity and/or compulsion/motivation.

Is it better to burn out or fade away?

How the shit would I know?

Pardon if I missed your point, but gimme my goddamned riddle. I'm terrible with those stupid things, which are stupid because I'm terrible at them. So please, cough the stupid thing up.

water said:
Creativity is highly overrated. The works produced, highly creative, may be interesting, a feast for the eyes, ears, tastes -- but to what end? To make us feel special? To make those creating, and those consuming this creativity, feel somehow "above-average"? To make us feel that "humanity" has "power"? Worth?

Thank you for proving my point.

The creative don't need you, that's the secret of it all. But you need to put them down, to belittle their greatness and to secretly love them. Moderation is required to control what you will never aspire to. To understand that which actually is incredible, amazing and stupendous right there in their own mind. Creatives don't need anyone else to "wow" them, they have the corner on the market and you need to be "wow'ed". It's a simple fact that people want to escape into a world that isn't their own, creatives just paint them a window to look through. They are the only ones who get you to see what most people cannot see.

I tire of people who don't understand. And make broad and stupid generalizations like "Creativity is highly overrated". If you really believed that, then you'd never pick up a book to read, or listen to music or admire art. Do that, and I'll believe that you actually believe what you are spewing.

Creatives don't need you to be amazed either. They are just making room for more of their creations.

Gendanken said:
But I’m digressing ...

I’ve recently experienced an incredible high. Its been one of the highest of all highs that I’ve ever experienced in my life but being a creature whose temper squiggles back and forth between highs and lows constantly with little to nothing in between, this new high being so high has kept me from reaching the usual low that’s easy to reach when the high is not so elevated.

Can you describe this epiphany in a little more detail?

Thanks

c20

Kotoko,

Thank you for proving my point.

The creative don't need you, that's the secret of it all. But you need to put them down, to belittle their greatness and to secretly love them. Moderation is required to control what you will never aspire to. To understand that which actually is incredible, amazing and stupendous right there in their own mind. Creatives don't need anyone else to "wow" them, they have the corner on the market and you need to be "wow'ed". It's a simple fact that people want to escape into a world that isn't their own, creatives just paint them a window to look through. They are the only ones who get you to see what most people cannot see.

I tire of people who don't understand. And make broad and stupid generalizations like "Creativity is highly overrated". If you really believed that, then you'd never pick up a book to read, or listen to music or admire art. Do that, and I'll believe that you actually believe what you are spewing.

Creatives don't need you to be amazed either. They are just making room for more of their creations.

Whew, the ever so predictable Kotoko!

There I was, about to write a paragraph how I am among the 2% of most intelligent people, highly creative, and how an intense practicing of my creativity eventually brought me to realize that it is all for naught. Egomania.

But, I still have my own egomania, predicted Kotoko will respond in her pissy way, and I wanted to indulge her in that, so I didn't add that paragraph. And there she is, ladies and gentlemen, saying just what I thought she would.

Maybe I should trade careers and become psychic.

Meanwhile,

Didn't I mentioned, after the first time you PM'd me, that I normally have that stupid contraption turned off? So why the slight emphasis now?

Shhhhhhhh! I wasn't actually talking to *you*, *back* then.

I know something, but if you're going to be an asshole -- then that's your problem.

Yet somehow, dear, with your ravenous appetite for long winded posts, I doubt very much you would gumshoe a thread via the backwoods of personal messaging just to score a direct bulletin report — why, that would mean having to go off-stage, I mean off-topic. But choreographically, it makes a lot more sense that you discovered my PM turned off after I posted my disfavour of finding my illustration slam-dunked in your imperatively worded "explain-it" post?

No, I first noticed that your PM option was turned off after you have deleted a perfectly good post on calling someone a bigot; and that was a while back.

So? I couldn't convince you that I had reason enough to be upset, huh? What? Too much for an android?

That I was upset because you turned my post into bathos? That you ruined its effect? That you averaged it out? I mean, darn it, I did put some thought into it. That since I rarely post now, that maybe, just maybe, I might've been serious about conveying my message in its proper ambiguous light? Riddles! Wasn't that what she wanted? Gee whiz, Water, I'd've thought that after hearing me cry out a river, that a simple edit on your part would have corrected your faux pas. That would have been the cool thing to do. American style—non-neocon style. But what really flabbergasts me, Water dear, is how you managed to veto your own free will just to gain apologia for your deeds. Absolutely engrossing. :

Face it, this universe can do these insanely bewildering things to you. And it does do them.

Phff. So. Am I addressing the universe now?

Yes!

You cried a river? I cried a river over ...

Universe! Hear me out! Why? Why did you have to washout my suspended animation effect???

Bigmouth strikes again!
Welcome to Sciforums! Welcome to the world.

Whatever we do, it cannot be undone. No deleting or rewriting history.

But it initially occurred to me, quite transparently, dear mia de l'eau, that you never quoted me. No-no-no-no-no. You only snuck into my post like black fox faux, to steal the URL.

Precisely, yes. But I do quote pictures, too.

And, oh, how many lovely words you have!

Wordswordswordswordswords!

Uh.

water said:
Kotoko,

Whew, the ever so predictable Kotoko!

There I was, about to write a paragraph how I am among the 2% of most intelligent people, highly creative, and how an intense practicing of my creativity eventually brought me to realize that it is all for naught. Egomania.

But, I still have my own egomania, predicted Kotoko will respond in her pissy way, and I wanted to indulge her in that, so I didn't add that paragraph. And there she is, ladies and gentlemen, saying just what I thought she would.

Maybe I should trade careers and become psychic.

Maybe you should, because you are both uninspired and uncreative. I have been reading your posts for well over two years, and one thing I can say about them is that they don't show this supposed "intelligence" or "creativity" you supposedly have at all. Your love of your God and all that others have created for you outs you as a poser and nothing more. This is evident. What is also painfully evident is that as usual, you read only what you want to read and skip everything else. Attack the poster instead of what is written and continue to be disruptive and dramatic for no other reason than bringing attention to yourself. That is what you have a knack for, maybe you should be an actress... if you could only stand to look at yourself in the mirror each morning, that might work out for you.

I was attacking your comments, you paranoid manic-depressive, martyr. Never once did I attack you, I was attacking the sentiment as I hear it from many people. But this time, I'll respond to you in kind.

And since I have no patience for your silly games, you'll go right back on ignore where you belong.

Kotoko,

You were going against me personally in your previous post.

I shall leave you to heaven and to those thorns that in your bosom lodge, to prick and sting you.

water said:

You can't say creativity is useless because humans have never lived without creativity, be it artistic, scientific, or technological creativity. Shortly, you're rambling out of boredom. Please stop.

C23509:
Can you describe this epiphany in a little more detail?
Got my colon flushed.

Roman:
Twain wrote that the only person who was happy all the time was an idiot. Idiot in the IQ<70 sense of the term (or whatever).
OoOOhhh...the man behind Huckleberry Finn and general literuature for the Christian.

Being happy is noooowhere near the same as being possessed and that, to me, is the napalm in genius.
I'm not saying I am one but by GOD how unproductive and dull it is to not feel any anger, no joy, no frustration, nothing.
I'm just there.....getting better, but still....there.

If I were inflamed with the usual high I'd have posted in this thread long ago, post by post like ping pong balls you never see coming
But now? Look at it, its all deralied and I barely have the energy to at least pick on Water. (nice post, by the way)

Cosider patients with Tourette's, for example. They're fast paced, quick witted, impulsive, high strung and if you give them a simple drawing like a box to replicate, you find they've drawn a kite instead with a little kid hanging off it.
Anyone else would have drawn the same boring box becuase that's all their same boring eyes see.

Now, the same Tourettes' patient treated with Haldol (which replaces dopamine)suddenly loses all that spunk and he will draw the same boring, little average box that the average doctor asked him to replicate.
His mind is now as flat as his doctor's trying to 'fix' his sickness with pills, pills, pills.

That's what being in the middle is like, its like being fucking medicated.

What's worse; being middle, knowing it, and accepting it, or being middle and doing outrageous stuff to pretend you're not?

Back