does evolution exsist

Status
Not open for further replies.

sifreak21

Valued Senior Member
as the title says does evolution exsist.. i know religion discounts the idea but there is so much evidence that evolution isnt just a theory galapagos is probably the best place in the world to watch and view evolution

Of course. It's the best model yet devised to explain the origin of species, the fossil record, the nature and function of DNA, and many animal behaviors.

Of course. It's the best model yet devised to explain the origin of species, the fossil record, the nature and function of DNA, and many animal behaviors.

i agree but yet there are still quite alot of people who say its nothing but a theory.. i wonder what evidence that have that gives them this mindset

very true guess i really wanted to hear there reasoning for believing that it doesnt exsist, But the people im looking for most likely will not respond
There isn't any credible explanation other than evolution. Religious people believe that god created people. Evolution does away with that. That is a major blow to their belief system. Given that the idea of evolution is 150 years old and almost half of the American population still doesn't accept it despite overwhelming evidence, chances are it's never going to be fully accepted.

There isn't any credible explanation other than evolution. Religious people believe that god created people. Evolution does away with that. That is a major blow to their belief system. Given that the idea of evolution is 150 years old and almost half of the American population still doesn't accept it despite overwhelming evidence, chances are it's never going to be fully accepted.

yeah i couldnt agree more.. but the fact is proff that "god created everything" is debunked all around us there is evolution ALL around us... the fact that evolution exsists disproves the one creator theory

i agree but yet there are still quite alot of people who say its nothing but a theory.. i wonder what evidence that have that gives them this mindset
That's our own bloody fault. The definition of a theory in science is a hypothesis that has been proven true beyond a reasonable doubt. Unfortunately the word is also used in mathematics to mean something which is absolutely true. It's also used by police detectives to mean a hunch.

Worse yet, our own people come up with names like String Theory, which isn't a theory at all, merely a promising hypothesis.

So it's no wonder that laymen are confused.

Evolution has been proven true beyond a reasonable doubt. That's the best anything can achieve in science, because we can't know whether tomorrow new evidence will be found that falsifies it. Of course we're reasonably sure that it won't, and we're pretty good at this because even though scientific theories are sometimes disproven, it doesn't happen often enough to lose sleep over. And usually they aren't proven false, they just need to be improved, like Newton's Laws having a makeover for Relativity.

For a theory to be proven true beyond a reasonable doubt means just what it says: It is unreasonable to doubt it!

That's our own bloody fault. The definition of a theory in science is a hypothesis that has been proven true beyond a reasonable doubt. Unfortunately the word is also used in mathematics to mean something which is absolutely true. It's also used by police detectives to mean a hunch.

Worse yet, our own people come up with names like String Theory, which isn't a theory at all, merely a promising hypothesis.

Evolution has been proven true beyond a reasonable doubt. That's the best anything can achieve in science, because we can't know whether tomorrow new evidence will be found that falsifies it. Of course we're reasonably sure that it won't, and we're pretty good at this because even though scientific theories are sometimes disproven, it doesn't happen often enough to lose sleep over. And usually they aren't proven false, they just need to be improved, like Newton's Laws having a makeover for Relativity.

For a theory to be proven true beyond a reasonable doubt means just what it says: It is unreasonable to doubt it!

Very well put :)

verywell put fraggle.. i forgot that about a theory that it is bassed upong alot of facts

I'm not sure the word "evolution" it is used properly.
But it is obvious a change and adaptation of species.
I personally have a problem with the mechanism of this change.

so how does the theory of evolution negate a God?
the only thing i see it negating is humanity's ideas of who/what God is..
how does it delete God?

so how does the theory of evolution negate a God?
the only thing i see it negating is humanity's ideas of who/what God is..
how does it delete God?

Evolution does not negate a "God"..

It merely suggests that a "creator/God", doesn't necessarily have to exist.

It does not necessarily negate all concepts of God but it does effectively negate Abrahamic religions. It might even help religions that believe in reincarnation. (In a metaphysical sense of course)

It is my understanding that the Theory of Evolution is a matter-of-fact explanation as to exactly how species originate - essentially the nuts and bolts of "survival of the fittest". I do not recall any mention of "god" at all in it.

In discussions with religious persons, I have been confronted with "god made it". My return has been "Are you so arrogant that you claim to know not just the mind of god but exactly how she would make something?" No-one has ever answered "yes" to that question.

"metaphysical reincarnation" is an entirely new concept to me. Care to elaborate on that a bit? Like, you are Islamic and then switch to Judaism after you die and are somehow reborn?

One can make certain assumptions about the relative likelihood of creation scenarios. For instance, it's rather absurd to suggest that God made the world about 5,000 years ago, and part of what he created was an intricate layered fossil record with just the right characteristics to appear millions of years old.

.. i wonder what evidence that have that gives them this mindset
it's the LACK of evidence dude.
science HAS NEVER recreated the origins of life nor has it demonstrated that one lifeform can change into another.

people tread very thin ice when they suppose on assumptions.

science HAS NEVER recreated the origins of life nor has it demonstrated that one lifeform can change into another.

Recreated the origins of life (sort of)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller–Urey_experiment

For one lifeform to change into another takes hundreds of thousands of years so biologists haven't observed it yet.

Biologists have observed short-term evolution:

Moths
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppered_moth_evolution

Superbugs
http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_health/conditions/mrsa.shtml

There are lots more examples.

Science has several plausible explanations for the origins of life that are consistent with present knowledge, and it has proven evolution as the origin of species beyond a reasonable doubt.

i don't consider BBC or wikipedia legit sources.
as far as "several plausible explanations" goes, that statement by itself says science "hasn't a clue".

i stand by my statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back