Can you marry your colleague?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Saint, Jan 4, 2023.

1. Saint Valued Senior Member

Can you marry your colleague?
    For example, you are an engineer working in Intel USA, can you court a female colleague and marry her?

Why a male manager is not allowed to date his female subordinate?
    I heard that he must, or either one must resign from the company if they want to have lover relationship.
    Why? Is that unethical for superior and subordinate to fall in love?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

Usually yes, sometimes no.
    Sure. If you are her manager she might have to be assigned a new one though.
    Because of the risks of abuse of power.
    Generally no. One just can't be in a position of power over her. If they are working in different divisions, or for different managers, no problem!
    See above.

wegs likes this.
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

What billvon said. Also, some companies have a policy in place strictly prohibiting employees from dating one another. And for good reasons, imo. If the relationship doesn't work out, which many don't, then it can get very awkward in the workplace, causing less productivity, and it has led to lawsuits for some people, against the companies.

But, I've known a few instances where people have met their significant others in this way, and they lived happily ever after.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
  8. Bondo Registered Member

You can marry whomever you want but not without consequences. Even love has limitations.

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Depends on company policy.

How are you unable to recognize this?

†​

Additionally, we should note you have described two separate circumstances. Here's the problem with marrying a co-worker: Leave the marriage out of the workplace. It's one thing if people get married, but most marriages involve some sort of courtship, and if you need to expose your employer to liability risk just so you can hit on a co-worker, the company might have something to say about that. The more that idea confuses you, the more it makes its point.

The problem with courting a subordinate ought to be obvious. That subordinate's job should never be affected by a superior's romantic interest, and that responsibility falls to the person with power, i.e., the superior.

Why do you need this explained to you?

10. geordief Valued Senior Member

My aunt married her boss (she was his secretary)

11. billvon Valued Senior Member

Yep. In general companies can have any policies they like (that don't break any laws at least.) I would point out though that this really applies to small companies. If it's (for example) Apple and they are on different teams there's a good chance they'd never even see each other.

What most companies have now is a requirement to disclose significant relationships but does not put limits on them.

12. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Yea, there are a few couples that I've known who have had successful relationships, having met at work. Others though, it was painfully awkward when they broke up.

Totally agree, it depends on the size of the company. If you work for Disney for example, that's the size of a small universe, and if you're in different departments, it might work out just fine.

billvon likes this.