"Bag of oranges"

I have never shook my shoes out . One time my step father and his buddy Mac White told us kids rattlesnake stories all day. About how we need to roll up our sleeping bags in the day time or a rattle snake might crawl in and when we get into bed we would get bit . Then they tell us about a guy that got bit 20 times before he could get out of his bag .
They left for the bar in town and left us kids at camp . We found this long piece of rubbery foam about as big around as a snake and 3 about a meter long . So they had left there bags unrolled . We shoved that sucker right down into the step fathers bag . They came rolling in about 2 :30 as the bars close in California at 2:00 Oh shit soon as that piece of rubber hit the skin he was up jumping around and couldn't get the sipper down . We was laughing so hard I almost piss my self . Us kids rolled are bags faithfully for many years . Now I don't remember the last time I rolled my bag up at camp . I bit rattlesnakes , They know to stay away . I got lots of rattlesnake stories . True stories cause well we eat rattlesnakes and when your are a predator you have close encounters.

LOL......Good one, you devious child, you.....

One time at summer camp, the guy counselors caught a big pike, wrapped it in clear plastic and stuck it into the sleeping bag that was laid out on the bunk of one of the female counselors.

You could hear the shrieks for miles when that poor lady climbed in at lights out! She was likely emotionally scarred for life.

I'll bet that fellow got no oranges from Santa for decades. :D

Those Christian boys are as full of the devil as the non-Christian lads in my observation.

Because I was curious if the phrase in question did indeed have meaning, I looked it up on the most reliable definition site, Urbandictionary.com. The only result:

1. bag of oranges

Obese breasts that pop disgustingly out of bras. Think Snooki wearing a revealing blouse.

Dude, did you see that chick over there with the "bag of oranges" poppin' out? Ryan hooked up with her last night.

GeoffP, is your wife known for dirty humor?

No, I think it was a genuinely clean expression: just in that it was no "bag of oranges" to get Matt to bed that night. I expect it was just that.

But that doesn't address the question of how oranges (bagged or otherwise) relates to ease of completing a task.
Did she mean "as easy a picking up a bag of oranges"?
"As easy as squeezing the juice out of a bag of oranges"?
"As easy as finding a bag of oranges"? (In which case that would vary by country and time of year, no?)
"As easy as stacking a bag of oranges"?
:shrug:

finding the relation won't be a bag of oranges :scratchin:

The wife just informed that she helped the kid get to sleep the night before, and that it was "no bag of oranges, let me tell you". Has anyone heard this expression before or should I be looking into forcible confinement at a mental-health institute?
After considerable Googling of various alternative restatements of her expression, I have not found any references to it. Well, just this thread on SciForums. ;)

It must be something she made up.

I don't understand why it bothers you. She's being creative and refuses to use a hackneyed cliche like "no walk in the park" or "no bed of roses." What's wrong with that?

I admit that the reference is a little strange. What's so easy about a bag of oranges? But geeze, there's nothing easy about falling off a log. You can end up in the hospital or even the morgue! Maybe I'm thinking of those lumberjacks who stand on logs as they float downstream to the mill, and use their own strength to break up logjams. But that's the only image that comes to mind featuring someone actually bothering to stand on a log.

Well, it's all very well to have a non-pastiched phrase in one's pocket, but they hang rebels, don't they? Musn't draw attention hereabouts.

Anyway - I don't think it's a question of ease, per se, so much as joy according to her transcript from the extensive interrogation I gave her: a bag of oranges is a wonderful thing on the rare occasion you're not being clubed with it, because oranges are quite nice. One likes oranges - or one should. So to say that putting someone to bed is 'no bag of oranges' is, I think, to imply that it was not particuarly joyful nor pleasant.

You're quite right, though: it is novel, I do like the phrase and I'm seeking a place to trot it out for the admiration of one and all.

Well, that's just silly. I invite you to consider one of the sayings of my Norse ancestors:

"Goats are just full of blood, aren't they?"

And, as it turns out, they were.

Huh. Would have been more interesting as an actual saying. Raises questions.

Maybe he meant a Halal killed goat.
ie
You can't get blood from a properly halal killed goat, because all the blood is gone.

So maybe it is an actual saying.

Well that is a bit more interesting anyway. It would have been really interesting if it had meant that without the halal killing: why would one think such a thing? What does it signify? Does it project traits onto goats? And so forth.

Maybe it's a saying from a country where goats are all anaemic?
Palegoatistan, perhaps.
I haven't looked it up yet, but if that's the name of a country, we've cracked it.

Last edited:
That would be quite an explanatory one. But then again it would be kind of a trite truism too, wouldn't it? I mean, they'd all be known for it - the country being so named, in point of fact - and it would seem dull.

"Hah," one of them would say, "Getting money out of Sudayam is like squeezing blood from -"

"Yes, yes: a goat. A fucking goat," someone else would answer. "We know, all right? You've only said it about a million times. Merciful Myuu, don't you people have any other expressions? Enough about the Myuu-damned goats."

Back